#1 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Just gonna ramble on about some names I've been thinking about. Answer my questions if you feel so inclined.

Casey - gone to the girls? If you had to rate it 1-10 with 1 being feminine and 10 masculine, how would you rate it? Loving this for a guy right now. Also, how many guys/girls do you know named Casey? Is it too dated already? Also, did Casey Anthony give this a bad taste? Right now I'm digging Casey Garrett, Casey Wade, and Casey Gideon. It should be mentioned that I like/love every Cas- name I see. Cassandra (g), Cassia (g), Cassidy ( B), Casper ( B), etc yet I haven't settled on one to actually use.

Quentin - partly ditto to Casey. With Quinn a Gleek, would Quentin nn Quinn seem too feminine? What do you think of the name overall, and what's the first word you think of when you hear it? Geeky? Girly? Blah?

Harvey - Trying to decide how much hipster this screams. Is it really ugly? I hear it on Suits and think "no," but then I look at it and wonder. Think this grandpa-name will start shooting up the charts? It just charted last year after a decade off the list. Also, is it usable or is it only cool if the little boy is cool enough to handle it? How nerdy on a scale of 1-10?

---

Eleanor - how popular does this feel to you? Some of you may know off the top of your heads, but if you were guessing, where on the SSA list would you place it? 1-100? 300-400? 500-600 etc? I'm trying to decide if it's going to rocket upwards or not. There are so many popular E- names and fustier names seem to be gaining traction.

Sidony - I know, it looks made-up. It's not, and it's not even something terribly rare or relatively new. Look Sidonie is even kinda popular in France! This feels like a nice spin on the dated place-name Sydney. I normally don't go for names that feel so could-be-trendy, but apparently this is an exception. What do you guys think? Also, Diana Sidony, Calla Sidony... does it just look to ugly to you? The 'Y' is throwing me off, I think. Is Sidonie better? There's also Sidonia, but that feels too place-name...

Thea - Heard this on Arrow, because of course I did. Think it will be catching on as Theo/Theodore does? I'm liking it right now, but I think the meaning seems a bit presumptuous. What do you guys think?

#2 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Casey - I would rate it a six or seven on the gender scale. I don't picture one gender when I see it; to me it could work for both. However, I've only ever met one Casey, and he was a man. So I guess I picture it as more masculine than feminine. I understand your concern about the Casey Anthony reference... to be honest, I didn't think of it, but I can see how it could be a problem. However, that whole incident is pretty much over with now, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue? Anyway, I like the combo Casey Garrett, too.

Quentin - I've never been a fan of Q names, to be honest. Quentin does give off a few "geeky" vibes to me. And since Quinn has crossed over to the girls' side, I would avoid the nickname Quinn. What do you think of Quincy?

Harvey - I actually really like this name! I suppose it does sound a bit old-manish or "geeky", but I think it's handsome. You could always use it as a middle name if you were concerned about its image. Other names similar in style / sound to Harvey: Humphrey, Henry, Harry, Dean, Clark, Hugh, etc.

Eleanor - I like the name Eleanor. Plus, the nicknames Ellie and Nora are cute. If I were to guess off the top of my head, I would say it's somewhere between 200 and 300. I just looked it up on the 2011 SSA list, and it's ranked higher, which surprised me slightly. I don't know if I would necessarily call it "popular", but it has definitely gained attention amongst parents today; I'm seeing it more often than I would have initially anticipated. Anyway, if you really like the name, use it!

Sidony - At first glance, this name appears masculine to me for some reason. It's not necessarily my style, but I can see it working nicely as a middle name. I really like Diana Sidony and Calla Sidony. Between Sidony and Sidonie, I think Sidony looks easier to pronounce, but Sidonie appears more feminine.

Thea - Well I love Theo / Theodore, so I like Thea too, though perhaps a little less. I think it makes a pretty name for a girl. Honestly, I don't see it becoming too popular. I don't think it sounds or looks presumptuous either, but I may be biased, being a name nerd and all. :P

Hope this helps!

#3 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

Casey- Ok, well my cousin is Kasey, she is a girl! I also know Casey (x3g) and Casey ( b)the Girl Kasey/Casey's are older, the boy is only a baby. When I hear the name I use to only think girl, in actual fact I never associated it with a boy until I was in my late teens (probably because of my cousin and her bff also a Casey). I love the nn Case for a boy and think it really is a 50/50. I guess it could aso depend where you live.

Quentin- NMS, I associate it with geeky (probably just me). I don’t watch glee and only know an animal named Quinn…its not very popular in Australia I don’t think. Personally now days more girl than boy.

Harvey-NMS, I see Harvey from SabrinaTTW when I hear the name. I don’t think its nerdy, to me just dated.

Eleanor- In Aus=not very popular. I like the nn Ellie/Ella. I know one Eleanor (18) who goes by Ellie.

Sidoney= honestly spelling wse I prefer Sydney. Out of Sidony V Sidonie definitely Sidony, I think it the IE version looks too made up.

Thea- LOVE THIS NAME! so underused. I know one Thea (late 20’s). It doesn’t look like its catching on, and I hope it doesn’t. Such a beautiful underrated name <3

#4 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Casey - I think I'm one of few around here who LIKES Casey more on a boy. (I do have a cousin Cassie, but I think due to the different sounds, I see that as more feminine). From your combinations, I think Casey Garrett is my favourite. Gideon is nice, but I'd pair it with a more traditionally boy fn and my problem with Wade is that both have the same first syllable sound (Kay & Way).

As for the Casey Anthony reference.. I'm not sure it's actually going to be that big of a deal.

If you're worried about it though, have you thought of Cassidy nn Casey?

Quentin - I have heard of one Quentin with the nickname Quinn. I thought it was cute. I do prefer just "Quinn" on a girl, but this is a great male alternative! Also, I prefer Quinn over Quincy personally. I think it's geeky... but in a cool-nerd kind of a way.

Harvey - I have Harvey on my list, though I haven't managed to pair it with anything I really like. I first heard it "Sabrina The Teenage Witch", I won't lie. And since I liked the character, it helped warm me up to the name. I think any name can be nerdy depending on the child's personality. I'd give it a 4. And your kid? Will probably be one of those super cool hipsters... so you have nothing to worry about.

(PS I know an "Alvie". And let's be honest... that's kind of a nerdy name, right? Makes you think Alvin! But he's one of the cutest kid and it doesn't even cross my mind that his name is a little on the "Goofy" side!)

---

Eleanor - Eleanor doesn't feel too popular to me. I think Ella is by far more common. And Nora is getting that little bit of recognition recently. But I think like any truly classic name, it'll come back every few years and then be mostly forgotten. If I remember correctly it was in the 100-200 range last time I checked. It's one of the names that always moves up, but never by a whole lot. The whole vintage epidemic could cause Eleanor to maybe scootch up the list... but I don't think it'll be in the top 50 by next year.

If you like Eleanor, but are worried about it's popularity, what about Leonora? I know you have Lenore on your list.

Sidony - I've heard of Sidony/Sidonie before. I think it's sweet, but it's remained on my GP list. I think the reason Sidonia screams PLACE! to me, is because of it's similarity to "The Republic of Macedonia". Calla Sidony would get my vote from your two options. I think the spelling Sidony looks nice. It reminds me of the way "Briony/Bryony" is spelt. Not awkward at all! But if you like Sidonie, go for it.

Katie has Sidda on her list, which might interest you.

Thea - I LOVE Thea. I had it on my list a long time ago, but was unsure if I liked it as a nickname for Althea/Theodora or on it's own. As a nn for Althea, it seems much less popular. As a nickname for Theodora, it's too close to the whole Theo/Theodore trend that's catching on. (Though Thea hasn't seemed to be becoming any more common than before the "Th-" trend). I don't think the meaning is overly prosumptious. Most people won't even know it... I think I've heard worse! At least it's on the positive side.

*Casey

since you like a bunch of "Cas-" names, what about these?

(Sorry if you already have all of these on your list!)

Cassia

Cassiopeia

OR names with similar sounds

Clarissa

Calista

Christina

Charlotte

Celina

Clarisse

Constantia

Calliope

Clementine