#1 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Just read this article on Yahoo and thought I'd share.

Here's the list:

Girls
Nevaeh ("heaven" spelled backward and one of the most divisive names around, according to Wattenberg)
Destiny (people dislike names that confer a virtue onto a child, Wattenberg said -- and many associated this name with exotic dancers)
Madison
Mackenzie
McKenna
Addison (an example of a masculine named turned feminine, which many people dislike, Wattenberg said)
Gertrude (people said this name is "ugly")
Kaitlyn (for its "made-up" spelling)
Makayla
Bertha (author's note: duh!)

Boys
Jayden
Brayden
Aiden
Kaden (these rhyming names struck many as overdone, Wattenberg reported)
Hunter (too much like a last name or "too violent")
Hayden
Bentley (people dislike brand-name names, Wattenberg found, calling them "trashy")
Tristan
Michael (too boring, according to some)
Jackson

Surprising?

Madison and Addison are fine to me, unless you start using those "tryndee" spellings (Maddisyn, Adysyn). I actually prefer Kaitlyn spelled with a K over a C, and I don't see what's wrong with Michael, Jackson or Tristan.

What are your thoughts?

#2 NavyWife24

NavyWife24

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm not really a fan of any of the girl names though Kaitlyn isn't so bad.

I absolutely HATE Nevaeh. I don't know for some, but when you spell something backwards that makes it the opposite. So by making Heaven into Nevaeh, your making it the opposite of Heaven which is H-ll. Plus its a word name, not only that a BACKWARDS word name.

Destiny is the "Exotic Dancer" choice of a virtue name. Not classical like Faith or Grace.

McKenna just sounds made up and Mackenzie has never been on my list of good names and I don't like how Makayla looks.

Addison means " Son of Adam ", Madison means " Son of Maud/Matthews Son " and Mackenzie means "Son of a wise ruler". All were once male names and so have male meanings. Thats why they don't fit for a girl to me. They were also very (overly) popular in the 90's.

Not a fan of Gertrude as its "clunky" sounding to me, but Bertha isn't all bad. I like Bertha Rose as a name, though its a little to old-fashioned for me to actually use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of the boys names I adore Michael, its timeless, even if it is insanely common.

Aiden and Tristan are alright to, but also a bit overdone.

Jackson seems more like a last name and all the rhyming names like Hayden, Kayden, Jayden and so on I've never been able to really like. They are all so close together that you could mistake one for the other if someone said them quickly.

Hunter is kind of classic (been in use for a while) but still more of a word to me, just like Chase. Brand names, like Bentley or Mercedes have always struck me as flashier 'word' names.

#3 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

Madison and Addison are fine to me, unless you start using those "tryndee" spellings (Maddisyn, Adysyn). I actually prefer Kaitlyn spelled with a K over a C, and I don't see what's wrong with Michael, Jackson or Tristan.

I just have to say that I agree 100%.
Madison doesn't bother me at all. Same with Kaitlyn [Though I do prefer Katherine].
I actually love Addison... and Michael, Tristan and Aidan are all on my list. :)

What's weird about it is, apparently the most hated names are "trendy".. but these names wouldn't be considered a trend if people didn't like them!

#4 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

i can think of plenty of other names that i would assume people perfered not use than whats on this list!

#5 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

i can think of plenty of other names that i would assume people perfered not use than whats on this list!

Ditto!

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

I have to agree with y'all! I feel like it wouldn't be a trend if people didn't like them.. and I can definitely think of worse names!

I totally agree of Nevaeh and Destiny, I strongly dislike seeing them used!! Mackenzie isn't my style, and I think its childish, but its not at all hated by society. Gertrude.. I'll admit growing up it always made me think of a really obese person with bad hygiene :) But now, it makes me think of a womans period, cause a lot of people around me use "Aunt Gertrude" to talk about their period. Idk if thats like an everywhere thing, but I know around here it is. And Bertha is the same as Gertrude, grew up with the same thoughts. And whenever I tell my dad I like an "old peoples name", he tells me then the sibling will have to be Bertha. :l

However, Madison, McKenna, Addison, Kaitlyn, and Makayla are all fairly popular therefor well liked!! Not necessarily by me, but yeah.

For boys, I actually kind of at least kinda like all of them! I would never use any of then -aiden names, because they are just way to popular and trendy. But seeing as over 20,000 babies have been born with Jayden / Jaden / Jaiden alone, I would say its a pretty loved name. I actually adore Hunter, and its in the up and running for potential names I know I'll actually use on a child! I suppose its pretty popular, 59 on the SSA charts. Which means I would guess is about 7,000+ babies? Somewhere in that range. So again, thats pretty loved. Its really not all that violent, in comparison to Gunner or something. I actually met a little Gunner the other day. He was mad cute!! Anyways, Michael is still a super handsome name. There's a reason its stayed up so high in the charts for so many years!!! Its a timeless classic! I will admit to liking Bentley... but I guess I do know how some wouldn't. When I asked Mike about it he said that its weird to use a car brand, even if its a nice car. Tristan I don't care for, but its a totally normal and no reason to dislike name. And Jackson... HAH! Jack/Jackson/Jaxon/Jax are so darn popular I'm not sure how you can argue people disliking it :l

I am assuming the person who wrote this only got the opinions of a few people and based it mainly on his/her own opinion :l Unless maybe the article was made for hipster namers? Cause if your trying to go ahead of the trend.. I'd definitely avoid all of the above. Though it still wouldn't be a reason to HATE them :( Idk, just making up possible reasons here lol!

#7 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

What's weird about it is, apparently the most hated names are "trendy".. but these names wouldn't be considered a trend if people didn't like them!

I'm thinking this list could be better explained as the most hated names by certain people rather than most widely hated names.

My thought is that because a lot of these names are soooo popular, the people who don't actually like them hate them even more because they are popular. Its not the number of people who hate them make these names the "most hated" it is the amount of hate they evoke from the minority.

#8 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Interesting...

Girls
Nevaeh - I dislike it too. It just looks made-up.
Destiny - I usually dislike virtue names, including this one.
Madison - I don't hate it... but I don't love it either.
Mackenzie - I don't hate it. It's okay.
McKenna - Not a fan.
Addison - I actually like Addison, but I hate when people turn masculine names feminine!!
Gertrude - It seems way too clunky and old to be usable anymore. There aren't even any cute nicknames I know of.
Kaitlyn - I like Caitlin... this spelling isn't my favorite, but it's okay.
Makayla - Dislike this spelling, but Michaela is okay.
Bertha - Of course, duh!

Boys
Jayden - Dislike it.
Brayden - I actually don't mind this one, for some reason.
Aiden - I really like it... but it's super, super popular. I've met so many boys named Aiden!
Kaden - Dislike. I agree... the "Aiden" sound is repeated too often.
Hunter - Dislike. Seems too violent and harsh for a little boy.
Hayden - Dislike.
Bentley - I think this name is really handsome, but I wouldn't want my son named after a car.
Tristan - Eh. It's okay.
Michael - I don't think it's too boring. It's popular, but handsome.
Jackson - I like this name!!

#9 Puppylover12397

Puppylover12397

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

Only one of my names is on there but with the last name being fight. I think worrying about a violet name is a little too late.

Hunter Fight.

#10 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

I agree with:

Girls
Nevaeh ("heaven" spelled backward and one of the most divisive names around, according to Wattenberg)
Destiny (people dislike names that confer a virtue onto a child, Wattenberg said -- and many associated this name with exotic dancers)
Gertrude (people said this name is "ugly")
Kaitlyn (for its "made-up" spelling)
Makayla
Bertha (author's note: duh!)

Boys
Bentley (people dislike brand-name names, Wattenberg found, calling them "trashy")

I like a lot of the boy's names, but the girls ones... yeah I agree

#11 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

I'm a bit of the odd ball out because I actually like Nevaeh. :(

#12 Mads

Mads

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

These are the names I hate:

Madison: My name is Madelyn and people call me Maddy so everyone thinks my name is Madison.

Nevaeh: It makes me think of (no offense) rude black girls.

Jackson: I actually sort of like this name, but in middle school I was in a play and there was a kid named Jackson and I hated him.

Gertrude: It's an old lady name. 

Addison: I went to school with a girl named Addison and she was very braggy and mean.

I know that a lot of the names I hate are from personal experience, but I still don't like them. 

#13 sigeweard

sigeweard

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

I don't think Gertrude is all that bad. It was my great-grandmother's name, and it feels quite fresh to me, proving the 100-Year Rule.

• brimariiee likes this

#14 brimariiee

brimariiee

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,474 posts
  • Interests:My son, diamond painting, reading, exploring with my family

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Girls
Nevaeh -I've met an Nevaeh so I'm a lot more okay with it than I was before. I'd never ever ever use it or recommend it though.
Destiny - Meh, not a bad name technically. Just not my style.
Madison -I don't hate it. I like it as a child but I've grown out of it. The whole girls with 'son' ending names doesn't bother me at all and I think it's a silly argument.
Mackenzie -I love this and the nickname Kenzie but I've met quite a few so I'd use other names before this one.
McKenna -Not awful.
Addison  -I actually like Addison over Madison but same deal.
Gertrude -This is hands down my favorite 'old lady' name and I hate how much negativity it always gets. I wish I could ignore it and use it but if anything I'll just slide it into the middle slot :(
Kaitlyn -There's just too many spellings of the name, plain and simple.
Makayla -Eh I'd prefer McKenna I think. Kayla alone isn't awful.
Bertha -Doesn't peak my interest but I like old lady names making a comeback so I got nothing against it.

Boys
Jayden -I'm over the hate for this -aden/ayden/aiden trend. :( Aiden was my #1 name once upon a time because of my favorite movie. I've had to nix it now. I'm not a huge fan of Jayden but I do love Brayden, Aiden, and Caden....I'll never use any of them.
Brayden -see above
Aiden -see Jayden
Kaden -see Jayden
Hunter -Surname names are cool! This name doesn't sound like anything, that's reaching.
Hayden -see Jayden, not a huge Hayden fan.
Bentley -I love Bentley! A lot of names I love have been "ruined" because they've become "teen mom" names. It's stupid. I actually kind of even like Brentley but feel like may be too 'out there'
Tristan -I used to want triplets 'Tristan, Christian, and Grace' when I was younger LOL. Nothing wrong with Tristan.
Michael -Michael is really overdone, but that's all.
Jackson -Not a huge fan but it's a fine name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users