• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

I'm trying to rename myself because I really hate my name.  My birth name is Amanda Lynn McDonald, but I go by Laney.  I wanna keep that nickname.  I'd like Helena (Hel-ay-na) to be part of my new name, either as a FN or MN to honor my maternal grandmother whose middle name was Helen and I also have a great-aunt on my dad's side with Helen as a first name.  I've considered Janet as a possible MN as well.  It's my mom's name.

I eventually want to have an official name change, but for now I can't afford it so I'll use my new name informally.  

I am Irish (on both my mother's and father's sides), Latvian (on my father's side), and a little Scottish (on my mother's side), but that's not a requirement.  There is also some German, Pennsylvania Dutch, Czech, and French in my maternal grandfather's ancestry and Polish and Italian are present on both sides.  My immediate family isn't either of those.  An aunt and some of my cousins married people with Polish or Italian last names.  lol

FN/MN Rules:

1. Gender specific!  I strongly dislike boys' names for girls.

2. Not in the top 200 for a FN either in 1986 (the year I was born) or currently.  Nothing obviously trendy.  If it is a middle name, it's okay if it's a little more common, but not a filler.

3. Traditional spellings preferred.  No "kre8tive" spellings or anything ending in -lyn or -leigh unless that's how it's originally spelled.  International variants are fine too as long as they aren't hard to spell or pronounce.

4. Either one or two middle names is fine.  I like long names if they aren't excessive and they flow well.

I found a bunch of last names that I like.  I need help to make FN/MN/LN combinations and narrow the LN's down.

LN ideas:

Adler

Arrington/Carrington

Alderman

Brennan

Barrett/Bartlett

Carson/Carlson

Dalton/Dawson

Ellis/Ellison - Stepdad's middle name is Ellis, and even though I'm not emotionally close to him, I don't mind it as a LN.

Feldman

Finn

Fleming - My maternal grandmother's and mom's maiden name (until my grandpa adopted my mom and changed her LN to his), but my hesitation with it is how the first syllable sounds like something else.

Hammond

Harper - Hate as a FN or MN, but fine as a LN.

Hoffman/Hoffmann - Paternal great-grandmother's maiden name was Hoferica (The e was silent), so I found another name from the first syllable.

Keller/Zeller

Martin(s)/Marin/Marino - Mārtiņš is the Latvian form of Martin (I'd anglicize it as Martin or Martins to avoid pronunciation issues and because I'm not fluent in Latvian) and Marin and Marino sound similar.

Modell/O'Dell - Modell is my maternal grandfather's last name.  I'm just concerned about the sporting goods store reference.

O'Connor

Penn/Pennington - Penn was one of the streets I lived on as a child.

Riley/Reilly

Rhys (pronounced like Reese)

Recke (Reck-ee) - My paternal grandmother's maiden name.

Sage

Tanner - I love the show Full House, so the name is really awesome.

Thayer - From a Danielle Steel novel.

Tomlinson - After a teacher I had in middle school.

Whitley

Whitfield - From another Danielle Steel novel

Whitman - After a bridge in Philadelphia where I grew up.

Here's a pic of me to give you extra help:

293vu68.jpg

#2 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

I finally thought of a few combos, but still looking for more suggestions.

Helena Sophie Adler

Helena Vivian Recke

Helena Ruth Ellison

Helena Gabrielle Whitfield

Helena Valerie O'Connor

Helena Rosalie Brennan

Helena Judith Whitley

Helena Caroline Feldman

Helena Daphne Alderman

Helena Isabel Harper

Helena Alexandra Whitfield

Helena Eleanor Whitman

I have no clue on anything if I decide on making Helena the middle name though.  lol

#3 IssieB

IssieB

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Names, history..mostly medieval and reading/writing fiction!

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

I like Helena Vivian and Helena Caroline! I think they certainly suit you :) Helena Rosalie is pretty too! I quite like Fleming, Adler and Sage for your surname.

Suggestions:

Helena Genevieve Sage

Helena Katerina Dawson

Helena Mireille Adler

Helena Primrose Reilly

Helena Margot Thayer

Astrid Helena Fleming

Violet Helena Dawson

Adelaide Helena Carson

June Helena Reilly

Rosalind Helena Adler

​I wasn't sure quite what you wanted but I hope you find some inspiration :) I tried to use a range of names.

#4 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Thank you!  I appreciate the help.  :) 

From your suggestions I like:

Helena Genevieve Sage - I love the sound of it even though I'm planning to name my first daughter Lilia Genevieve if I have kids.  It would be like what my mom and step-dad did with my half-sister.  XD  It was my step-dad's idea.  He wanted part of my mom's name to be in my sister's name so my sister is Cassandra Marie and my mom is Janet Marie. 

Rosalind Helena Adler -  It's pretty.  I think it flows better if it's switched around.

I love Mireille.  It just sounds too close to my little sister's/mom's MN and my grandmother's FN was Mary which would almost make my name hers in reverse.  I'm keeping it an option for a future daughter.  Katerina is gorgeous too.  Considering it for a daughter because it feels too similar as a MN for Helena.  Astrid is starting to grow on me.  I love Violet, but it's getting too popular as a FN.  June is great.  Prefer as a MN for something else.  Not a fan of Adelaide.  Margot is okay.

lol Primrose kind of has that beauty pageant vibe to me.  Is it me or do beauty pageant contestants, especially children seem to have some of the most unusual or even most outlandish names ever, besides celebrities' children?  Either that or extremely trendy names that are often respelled "kre8tively". 

Other possible MNs:

Helena Sylvia/Sylvie - There is a Sylvia in the family, but she's not blood related and I haven't seen her in like 7-8 years except pictures that my cousins posted on FB. She's my paternal uncle's mother-in-law.  I prefer Sylvia to Sylvie, but feel that Sylvie is more unexpected.
Helena Xanthe - A unique MN choice that doesn't feel so out of place anymore and I love Greek names.

Helena Bridget - Not one of my favorites, but Bridget has been growing on me.

Update:  Partially disregard rule #2.  I am 99% sure I'm gonna make Helena my FN now.  As for my MN, I still want something classy. Some unusual names are very nice too, depending on the name.  I wanna have some individuality, though not to the point where the name is just flat out ridiculous.  But I don't mind if the MN is a little more popular than Helena as long as it isn't trendy or overly common.  I've also made some updates to the LN choices, practically cutting them in half.

Adler
Brennan 
Ellis/Ellison 
Fleming  
Harper - Hate as a FN or MN for girls and wonder how the heck it even got so popular, but it's fine as a LN. 
Mārtiņš/Martin(s)/Martinsons (edited from the original) - Mārtiņš is actually the Latvian form, and I'd still alter it to Martin/Martins for obvious reasons.  Martinsons is Latvian too.
Riley/Reilly
Recke (Reck-ee)

Tanner

Sage

Modell/O'Dell

Penn/Pennington

#5 IssieB

IssieB

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Names, history..mostly medieval and reading/writing fiction!

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Helena Sylvie sounds stunning! And, Helena Xanthe is beautifully quirky! 

Suggestions:

Helena Faye Adler

Helena Beatrice Sage

Helena Winifred Martins

Helena Francesca Ellison

Helena Mathilde Pennington

Helena Audrey Brennan

Helena Giselle Harper

Helena Alice Fleming

Helena Marian Recke

Helena Ariadne Modell

Helena Juliet Reilly

Helena Cecily Pennington

Helena Amelie Sage

Helena Felicity Adler

Hope you find something! I've gone with a range of suggestions :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users