• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zacsmommy86

zacsmommy86

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

My husband and I are planning to have our first child together in the next yr. I have a son already named Zachary. My dh is named Thaddeus and my name is Sarah. I like the idea of continuing the tradition of using biblical names, especially since we are religious. I really like the names Zipporah, Serafina, and Claudia but have gotten a mixed response. I love the more elaborate and unique names, and feel it would be a good balance with my dh's name. What do you guys think?

#2 and so it is...

and so it is...

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

The first thing that I have to say is that I'm not a fan of any of those names, although I would strongly suggest Claudia from the names provided. Zipporah and Serafina are ok. I've never heard those names before, but I'm interested in continuing to help you find the perfect name.

Thanks! -Kelly

#3 neverland

neverland

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Well ZIpporah has a pretty awful reputaion in the Bible so I am not so sure you want to  use that.  Check out this link:  http://www.biblegate...-bible/Zipporah

I might be willing to suggest Hephzibah http://www.biblegate...bible/Hephzibah but it isn't easy for English speakers.  If you want a Z name I would say Ziva or Zion (although neither are Biblical names of women).  If

you want a New Testament name I would say Tabitha (also called Dorcas).  If the woman's actions are important then Abigail.  I wouldn't count out Selah or Shiloh if you are considering Serafina.  Claudia has no appeal for me as a name and the vast majority of people would never associate it with the Bible.

In the Victorian era Talitha was common as Jesus said "Talitha cumi" to a little girl because it means "little girl, arise" in Aramaic.  She was then raised from the dead by Jesus.  If you are looking for an easy to pronounce name that is rich in meaning and easy on the modern ear I would vote Talitha! 

#4 MissJay

MissJay

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Zipporah. Out of your list I really like Serafina, I think it's a beautiful name and would go well with Zachary. 

Here's some other biblical names you may like...

Lilith 

Abiah 

Keziah 

Zillah

Selah

Jerusha 

Priscilla 

Keturah 

Galilee

Atarah 

Mahala

Hadassah

Phoebe

Magdalene

Some cool place names from the Bible...

Samaria 

Keilah

Sheba

Moriah 

Abilene

Lystra 

#5 Sunny Mummy! :)

Sunny Mummy! :)

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my beloved family, singing, dancing, writing (I have more than 10 novels on the go but never get the mind space time to finish any of them!), art, reading, spending quality time with Loved Ones, cooking (especially baking when I get the time), being outdoors in Nature enjoying God's GLORIOUS Creation (Bush walking, gardening etc), and... BABY NAMES have ALWAYS been an obsession for me!! :D

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

I LOVE all three names and all of your names!!!

Serafina - 10/10 EXQUISITE!! Delicate, feminine and works perfectly for any age with a HEAVENLY meaning too-"Ardent Angel"! My only issue with this name for you, Sarah, is the same one I have for myself as my name is actually also Sarah!! :) The reason I have never used this name for any of my Daughters is because I'm worried that Seraphina and Sarah might be too close as names for a Mother and Daughter? What do you think?

Zipporah - 10/10 GORGEOUS!! This name is perfect in every way and is also on my Favourites List!! The meaning "Little Bird" is LOVELY and it would work PERFECTLY as a name with Zachary!

Claudia - 8/10 LOVELY! I love Claudia pronounced the German way "CLOUD-ih-yah", but am not keen on it's meaning "Lame".

God bless and all the very best! :)

#6 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

As stated above, Zipporah isn't a good biblical figure in the bible, so that probably isn't a good option. Also, Serafina isn't a Biblical name?? (yes, I know it is loosely derived from Seraphim, but that's still not a name) Not that I'm saying you have to go Biblical, but that is something you said was important to you. Claudia is a great choice! Sweet Biblical person.

Atarah would be a pretty option. Not a whole lot of history on her, but at least none bad :)

Keturah is a good biblical figure.

Kezia was a daughter of Job, known for her beauty.

Sheerah was a daughter of Ephriam; known for being strong (physically).

Abia / Abiah was an ancestress of Christ.

#7 RainstreamofSpiritClan

RainstreamofSpiritClan

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

If you want a unique, elaborate biblical name, I adore Hadassah, which is the Hebrew name of Queen Esther, who's a really cool Biblical gal and definitely a great role model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users