13 replies to this topic

#1 neverland

neverland

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Please bear with me guys... I know this is my 3rd thread about the name Aubrey. I was all settled on Aubrey Sloane Morgan. Then I took a poll on another name site just for feedback. Over 60% said they didn't like it or they really hated it.

When I asked why they all said the same thing... it's way too masculine. Maybe it's just my taste are weird! This is a name for MYSELF not a child. My current name is Sarah Angelica. I think maybe it's because my own name is "frilly" that I have no desire to change to something super pretty. I'm pretty girly... I have long blonde hair and green eyes. I don't wear my make-up everyday. Probably 80% of the time. And I'm 34 years old.

Should I scrap the name altogether? A different middle? Creative spelling like Aubreigh? Slightly different like Abrielle? Please help guys!! I took a day off from work next week to go to the courthouse and now I'm worried I'm making a mistake. :mellow:

Thanks so much... I really really appreciate it!!!

#2 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

I agree that it would be hard to distinguish if the name was meant for a male or female and if I had to guess I would have guessed male, even though my sisters name is Aubrey. But the name itself is very nice. Perhaps a slightly more feminine middle if your worried? Don't do a kre8tive spelling though, it takes away from the lovelyness of a name.

#3 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I agree that it would be hard to distinguish if the name was meant for a male or female and if I had to guess I would have guessed male, even though my sisters name is Aubrey. But the name itself is very nice. Perhaps a slightly more feminine middle if your worried? Don't do a kre8tive spelling though, it takes away from the lovelyness of a name.

I agree with this. My best guy friend is named Aubrey, so I sort of automatically think guy when I see it, but that's a personal connotation. Aubrey's mostly used on girls these days, so I don't think it would be much of a problem.

I like Lauren's suggestion of maybe a more feminine middle. What's your opinion on double middles? I think Aubrey Angelica Sloane Morgan is really nice and it makes me think of a female over male.

And please stay away from the unique spellings, agreeing with Lauren again, they take away from the name.
  • BabyNameRater likes this

#4 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Paying off student loans & over-priced coffee.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

If I had seen the name written down, I would automatically have assumed the name was a woman's name. I've never known any male Aubreys (except for Drake, ha!) ; like Addy said, Aubrey is veering towards almost exclusively a girl's name.
I like Aubrey Sloane, but then I like unique names or masculine names on women. I do like Addy's suggestion of Aubrey Angelica Sloane Morgan, although it is a bit of a mouthful.

In the end, you should choose a name that you feel "fits" you. If other people dislike the name, but you're still in love with it, then you should just go with Aubrey Sloane. :)

I also agree with the previous comments about "kre8tive" name spellings!
  • Addison likes this

#5 Bunko0

Bunko0

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

I prefer Audrey. Aubrey reminds me of Aubrey Beardsley.

#6 Kristi18

Kristi18

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Name Games Moderator
  • 6,906 posts
  • Interests:Spending life with my husband.
    Cuddling with my kids.
    Hanging with my family.
    Enjoying God's creation.
    Laughing with friends.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

In my neck of the woods, Aubrey is a girl's name. I've never met a male Aubrey. Don't worry about what others think - go with what YOU like!

#7 CLA

CLA

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

I actually kind of love Aubrey Sloan- for a girl! But in the end go with what you want and like, you're not changing your name for "them" you're doing it for yourself!

#8 Kaysee712

Kaysee712

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

If you like it that's all that matters, to me Aubrey is a girl name, and so is Sloane.

#9 Truffle_Berry

Truffle_Berry

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

I love Aubrey Sloane! It feels 100% feminine to me. And Aubrey is much nicer than Aubreigh IMO (Sloane makes the name unique without having to get funky with spelling)

I wish you all the best!

#10 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'd consider it a girl's name. Sloane is... er... my last name, so I'm not too fond of it being as a first or middle name, but as it's for you, I say choose what you like. After all, you should be happy with your name, and if you like it, go for it.

#11 SapphiraMarie

SapphiraMarie

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Aubriella Sloane is pretty but not overtly frilly... What do you think?

You could always change it to Audrey Sloane Morgan, swapping one letter makes it obviously feminine.

#12 imnotamom

imnotamom

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

I actually like unisex names for girls. It gives their 'qualities' to give the name a girly feel.
But I guess it is more appealing to have a girls name.
Aubrey Sloane is really nice.

Well in public they'd pronounce it 'Aubrey Morgan'

It sounds pretty masculine but you know, no one is going to keep imagining someone named Aubrey Morgan. They'll surely see that she's a girl.
My name is Adrianne and when I volunteer online, they were expecting a guy!
It doesn't bother me. So I don't think the name will affect Aubrey. :)

#13 beachgirl18

beachgirl18

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, hanging out with family & friends, camping, the great outdoors, children, education, breast feeding diaries

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

I love Aubrey! I think it sounds feminine, not masculine. Love the name in general.

#14 neverland

neverland

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Thanks to all! I went to the courthouse and started the process (6 weeks) and I am very pleased with my slightly unisex name! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users