• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tressie06

Tressie06

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

For some reason, soon-to-be parents often think that by naming their baby something 'unique' and 'inventive', they've accomplished something great. Well, sorry, but that is largely not the case. While these names aren't the only ones that should be banned, they are the ones that are currently bugging me.
Feel free to add your own or disagree with me if you like. I just hope maybe one mother looks at the list and reconsiders naming her son Anfronie or something of the sort.
So here goes. List the names that should NOT EVER be used.

my list is:
Anfronie
Leelee
anything that ends in 'equa'
any fruit (a nod to Gwyneth Paltrows daughter, Apple)
do NOT name your baby for Star Wars, Star Trek, or any show that involves space travel
Ickhyd (i don't even know how to say this)
Gypsey
Jezebel
anything that would put you in the mind of a social disease (Chlamaya --Chlamydia, Hermes --Herpes, etc)
any day of the week (not even sunday)
Praline
brownie
Oleo
Irlyn(d)
Ledasha
anything with 'quanda' at the end of it.
Rugar
Bubba
Hoyal
Marguerita
Duskany
Bayla
madylyn (madeline is fine, but why all the y's??)

which brings me to my final point. do not think that adding extra H's, E's, Y's eigh's, EE's, or such makes a name better. it doesn't.

I'm done for now.

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Uhmmm... I made a speech like this one time, somewhere in here, actually......

But the thing is, BNG is suppose to stay positive :lol: So no matter what names you don't think should be used, people might get offended... Ya know? Some people these days do get overly offended over small things in life, but ah well....

Anywho, I may agree with 99% of all those names (I don't mind days of the week, and I don't mind Martguerita much, as long as you don't add things to make it obviously about an alcohol, like Martguerita Scotch or something lol).

But I'll restate my rant into a smaller portion. What I basically said was:

"I dislike when parents chose names in order to "make their child more unique", when in all reality, it's being selfish being the parent is the one who's gunna get attention for it (well, the attention that isn't mean anyway). Because all parents should consider their childs wellbeing before choosing a name, not a name that just makes the parent feel cool."

Or at least something like that....

Ah well, ~Haddie

#3 Eva Phoenix

Eva Phoenix

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

The phrase I used once was "extreme names". Like, names that just billboard the parents' political/personal beliefs (Baby Hitler and sis JoyceLynn Aryan Nation, the two baby Barack Obamas born in 08), or seem like a joke between the parents (Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii, Keenan Got Lucy, Yeah Detroit).

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Ditto, Phoenix!

~Haddie

#5 NicoleMarie

NicoleMarie

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

I'm not too sure about this topic...
I kind of agree and disagree.

No offense, but who are you to tell parents what they should or shouldnt name their babies? Its their choice, everyone has different opinions. I'm sure theres some names that you like that other people would never think about naming their kid. Everyone has their own taste in names. Now, I do agree with the other user who posted about Talula does the Hula and all the other names, now that is just setting the child up for teasing. But I dont see anything wrong with Madylyn (I actually like the spelling of Madylyn better than Madeline), Bayla, Irlyn and a few others on the list. They're just not as common but theres no reason for parents not to give their kids these names if thats what they like.

#6 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

I don't mind replacing some y's with i's in names, as long as it still resembles the name. ^ I agree with the above post, Madylyn isn't bad at all. I actually prefer it to Madeleine. And yeah it is a personal opinion :lol:

And my personal opinion is, ratther than Sophie, I prefer the spelling Sofy. It still resembles that name, but just a different spelling.

#7 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:29 AM

I have to agree that I don't like the whole "changing spellings to try and be more unique" thing. Changing an I into a Y doesn't make the name any different. It still sounds the same when said aloud.

As for names that I don't like, I'm not going to list any, because to each his/her own, but there are a lot of names on this site and other places that make me think "what in the world were you thinking when you named this child?". I'm not saying that it gives us the right to tell them that the name is horrible, but when you name your child "Imunique", "Pixie Trixibelle" or "Kelly Fornia Lois Angelis" (this one was actually on the polls last week), you should be ready to accept odd looks, judgement, and pity for the child. Because all you're doing is setting the child up for a lifetime of being judged and teased, not applause to the parents for their "uniqueness".

But I will say my biggest naming pet peeve: Boy names on girls. I severly dislike this trend. Naming a girl Elliot is not unique. She will still have to be called Elliot (last initial) throughout all of her school years, because there will be atleast one or two boys with that name in her class, guaranteed. And that goes for most of the names that people are considering to be "cute" for girls: Noah, Logan, Mason, etc. All of these names are popular, whether it is on a girl or a boy.

Rant over.

#8 Tressie06

Tressie06

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:56 AM

All I'm saying is, sure, name your kid what you want, but don't try to assert your individuality on your child by naming him something you deem cool.
Someone said that a name should be able to pass the name test before you give it to your child.
This is the name test:
"I present to you the President of the United States, ______." and,
"Hi, I'm the new stripper, _______."
which sounds better with your kids name?

And I'm all for you guys disagreeing with me. This is just my opinion.

Oh, and one of those names happens to be Pickle. I saw that on here. drove me crazy. :lol:

#9 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:25 AM

^Pickle, I have to agree is terrible. It's not even a name. I feel sorry for that child.

#10 Tressie06

Tressie06

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:29 AM

^Pickle, I have to agree is terrible. It's not even a name. I feel sorry for that child.

Did you see that in the Genie mail? I swear I'm not making that stuff up. Pickle. There isn't even a cute nickname to cover up that one. PK maybe? idk.

#11 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:28 AM

Yeah I saw it in the genie mail weeks ago. I was shocked!

#12 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

I don't agree with naming your kid Pickle, it's bound to set them up for teasing later in life. However, I do like unique names, as long as they are not too weird or just plain silly. I don't mind combining two names together, like the parents names, because in that case the name obviously means a great deal to you. I also don't mind Sunday as a name, or Irlynd (although I'd prefer it spelled Ireland). I actually like the name Madylyn so much, and my favourite spelling is Madilayne, which might make you say 'oh god the poor child', but it isn't pronounced like Madylyn, it's pronounced mad-I-lane, so it is partially spelled phonetically. Marguerita is an actual name, not just from the drink (which is spelled Margarita), which means Pearl, and is a variant of the names Margaret and Marguerite. Personally I wouldn't mind naming my daughter this, you aren't going to use the full name very often anyway.

Yeh, end of rant.

#13 Tressie06

Tressie06

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

DOn't get me wrong, there are names that I like that I'm sure others think are absolutely crazy. For instance:
Willow

Hattie or Haddie

Lorelei Raine

Madeline (the way it is)

Lilah

Menley (Actually got this from a novel--short for remember, but I just like Menley)

I like boys names for girls, as long as the have a feminine middle name (Taylor, Andi, Riley etc)

Kaya (IA for 'elder sister') if i have a girl first, that will probably be her name

and drumroll.......

Mehitabelle. (meh-hit-uh-belle) Thats the one that usually gets the weird looks for me lol

So see, in no way do i think my fav names are perfect and the only way to go, I was just voicing my opinion.

#14 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 6,663 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

I agree with some things that you've said, and disagree with others. The whole adding extra letters to make a name look more unique is a big pet peeve of mine. I agree with that wholeheartedly. And the whole "names that sound like diseases" is a big one too.

However, I disagree with the sci-fi names thing. While I am in no way advocating naming your child Spock or Amidala, I think names like Kirk and Leia are perfectly acceptable. (Leia is actually one of my favorite names...).

But my biggest pet peeve that you didn't mention are giving girls boy names.

I also absolutely hate the name Nevaeh. Just thought I'd put that out there.

#15 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

I went to school with a girl named Shaneka (from like 3rd to 12th grade) so to me it is just her name. Its not a bad name or a good name. She MADE the name. Though I've never heard it on anyone else, to me it doesnt seem like an odd name because I've known her so long. Not sure if I'm explaining it right or not...

Unique names, as long as they do not sound like a disease or just plain ugly, are fine to me. Be inventive as long as you LOVE the name...but don't go around putting y's and h's and weird spellings just to be Unique. Kaitlyn, spelled anyway you can think of, (Caytlynn/Kaytlen/Khateline) is still the name Kaitlyn. She will be one of twelve Kaitlyn's in her grade the only difference is that no one will remember how to spell her name.

That and "Made up" sounding names are really my only pet peeve. I think names like Remember, Sunday, and Anakin are fine....but then I dislike the name Kaya...(a friend of mine named her daughter Kayah) because to me it sounds like someone doing karate...but there is nothing wrong with the name Kaya, just personal prefrences and taste.

You may dislike many types/styles of names, but that's your personal opinion and taste. I know if everyone liked the same kind of names and there was classes full of Lucas' and Emily's then that would get pretty boring.

#16 Tressie06

Tressie06

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, I like Leia as well. But if someone told me they were going to name their son (or worse, daughter) Spock, or Batman, or Obiwan or something, I would strongly advise them not to.

And I actually like some guys names as girls. But most people don't lol.

I also am not a big fan of Vada. ( too much like Darth Vader sp?)
I thought Vada was a cute little girl in the movie My Girl, but i did not like her name.

does anyone remember the show Calliou? (pronounced K-eye-you) I used to think that was a cute name, now it just seems confusing. poor kid would probably be called Callyoo all through school.

One thing I do not like is girls names on boys.
Ashley and Courtney are not boys names.

I went to Frankfort, KY for a huge KYA meeting when i was younger, and they called a Miss Courtney so-and-so to the stage. Turns out, it was a MR. Courtney so-and-so. Nothing could be more embarrassing than to be a young boy called Miss in front of over 1,000 people.

#17 Mariel

Mariel

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hmmm... I liked the post, the only name I could have disagreed with is Leelee. I have a friend of middle eastern descent named Leely. She's named after her great great aunt or something. In that case, I think any name symbolizing family or culture gets a pass... To a certain extent of course. Leely wears her name well, and it's aged beautifully.
Then again, I agree with every other of the names you've chosen. I hate when names are changed to look different, sorry to any who disagree, I just think that Zoë is stunning and Zoie looks made-up. Ks for Cs always get to me (Khloe, Kourtney (Kardashians anyone?) Kamilla) and in many cases, Y's are not my favorite. This being said, Gwendolyn is not the traditional spelling, it's Gwendolen. And names with too many Y's look a bit crazy (Madylyn) but even names that are actually accepted spellings (Gwynyth... I prefer Gwenyth or Gwyneth)
Anyway, there is such a list that I better stop...

#18 Tressie06

Tressie06

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hmmm... I liked the post, the only name I could have disagreed with is Leelee. I have a friend of middle eastern descent named Leely. She's named after her great great aunt or something. In that case, I think any name symbolizing family or culture gets a pass... To a certain extent of course. Leely wears her name well, and it's aged beautifully.
Then again, I agree with every other of the names you've chosen. I hate when names are changed to look different, sorry to any who disagree, I just think that Zoë is stunning and Zoie looks made-up. Ks for Cs always get to me (Khloe, Kourtney (Kardashians anyone?) Kamilla) and in many cases, Y's are not my favorite. This being said, Gwendolyn is not the traditional spelling, it's Gwendolen. And names with too many Y's look a bit crazy (Madylyn) but even names that are actually accepted spellings (Gwynyth... I prefer Gwenyth or Gwyneth)
Anyway, there is such a list that I better stop...

I 100% agree that family names get a pass. My name, Tressie Alice, is a family name. I love it because of that, but growing up, I hated not being able to buy bicycle plates or dolls or necklaces with my name on it like all the other kids could because my name was so rare. And still to this day, I am called Tressa, Trixie, Trissy, Theresa, Tracy, Treezy, and RARELY Tressie. so its frustrating, but because its a family name I wouldn't change it for anything.

#19 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

//

#20 Bekas

Bekas

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:16 PM

Well honestly I'm one of those people that thinks the person makes the name, not the name making the person. A person might have a story behind a name that other people may not know. My sis ter was considering naming her future son James Vader. Vader would have been in honor of our great-grandfather, grandfather, and father (a trilogy). Somethings may sound weird when you first meet a person, but if the person doesn't mind, neither should we.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users