Photo

Too weird or pretty and unique?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

Name: Margaret

I just found out I'm going to be a mommy :). Me and my BF were planning the name Alaska Rose Boyer for our little girl, but now that I'm pregnant my parents keep shooting the name down. I'm starting to doubt it, too. Is it too weird or is it pretty and unique??

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Alaska is definitely an uncommon name but not unheard of. 25 girls received the name Alaska last year, 23 in 2010 and 19 in 2009.

Naming your daughter Alaska is no different then naming her Dakota or Montana. Both were relatively unheard of 30 years ago.

I say if you love the name, go for it.

#3 CJMusic

CJMusic

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

I think it's pretty and unique.

#4 Guest_Alyse_*

Guest_Alyse_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I think it's pretty and unique.

#5 Lilli'sHeart

Lilli'sHeart

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Alaska isn't one of my favorites but it sounds pretty with Rose. If you like it good, it doesn't matter what your parents think.

#6 pixiejayy

pixiejayy

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

it is stunning! i've always been fond of the idea of naming my child after a state. my boyfriend shoots down the island because he doesn't think a girl named indiana will fit right lol i say go with it, sooner or later the name with trend more.

#7 CLA

CLA

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I like it. I think will grow on your parents. My mom wasn't very fond of my sister naming her daughter Phoenix, but now she can't imagine her being named anything else.

#8 Sami Marie

Sami Marie

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I dont see a problem with Alaska Rose. If you like it and want to use it, do it. Dont let parents stop you, they'll love your baby just the same. Of course they may give your child a nickname. For example, a friends daughter is Catarina and they call her Cat. Well her grandma doesnt like Cat as a nickname so she was given a nickname from her middle name Liliana (Lily).

#9 Countrystrong

Countrystrong

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Alaska Rose reminds me of a makeup name. However, if different is what you are aiming for it fits. Your family can always call her Allie.

#10 pearfaced234

pearfaced234

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

I think it sounds really nice! Just go for it. My parents were a bit cross that one of my baby girls middle names is Nymph, but now they say they love the name!!!

#11 flying-person

flying-person

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

When I first read the name I was a bit skeptical, but the more I sound it in my head the better it seems. Alaska is pretty and unique for a place/state name, and also sounds better than others like London and Aspen (though I don't mind Aspen). Rose balances the uniqueness of Alaska down, and makes it sound more traditional. The whole name also goes well with the last name.

In all, I like it. But ultimately it's up to you :)

#12 deesp

deesp

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Alyeska is a native word for Alaska. It is abeautiful word with an historical link to Alaska but avoids the immmediate connection to our Mazing 50th state.

#13 Sierra Eleanor

Sierra Eleanor

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I like it as long as it has a girly middle name! Rose is beautiful.

#14 MsJMRosin

MsJMRosin

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

I think it's pretty and unique. If you like it than keep it. It's not your parents decision to name your child. Besides if they don't like the name Alaska, they can always call her Rose or give her a nickname like Ali or Ali Rose. Congrats on your pregnancy, and I hope everything turns out well for you. God Bless!!!

#15 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

It's a beautiful name! Especially when paired with Rose. Also it's your daughter not your parents, name her what you will love to call her! They had their chance when naming you, I'm sure they'll come to love it as it grows with your daughter! There are always nicknames :) Congrats!

#16 Amy Smith

Amy Smith

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

It is a unusale name but beautiful

#17 AlyMomma

AlyMomma

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

I love the name Alaska!! it was one of my choices but for some reason my husband didn't like it..so we went with Aerolyn instead. Its very unique and I love unique names. Don't listen to others, if you and your BF like it then go for it! I thought I was being unique when I named my son aiden...but then found out after he was born that for 3 years it was one of the most popular names..kind of disappointing. So be unique and name her alaska! :) its a wonderful choice! Good luck with the little girl!

#18 cjvh1111

cjvh1111

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

That is why my husband and I didn't share our names with the babys. We told them the sex and that if we could have one surprise that was the name...If you like it go with it whether or not they like it shouldn't matter to you and your other half. They will love the child regardless and learn to like the name. We named our son Riley and my mil didn't like it thought it was too girly...But oh well she didn't have a say...My thought!

I love it - the name rocks!!!

#19 Ltnbug

Ltnbug

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

It's a beautiful name. I like the suggestion of Alyeska versus Alaska.

#20 Aeolanyira

Aeolanyira

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Name your kid whatever the heck you want. Your parents have no right to shoot it down