PLEASE HELP US DECIDE!...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hemsireJoJo_*

Guest_hemsireJoJo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hubby is Turkish, I’m English, we live in the UK. Our first baby; a boy , is due in 4 and a half weeks. We want a name that is used in both countries and have narrowed down our options to two favourites: Zechariah and Izaak. We would spell them as I have written them here. This is because the ‘e’ in Zechariah makes the name so much closer to the Turkish version (which is pronounced zek-ah-REE-ah) although Turks would still have trouble reading the name and if pronounced as read they would call him ‘zej-ha-ree-ah’ (they pronounce C’s with a J sound). The spelling Izaak would make his name equally pronounceable in both languages; the difference in pronunciation being EYE-zak versus EE-zak. I know that his name would often be misspelt in both countries!

With either of the options we would use the nickname Zach/k. If we use Zechariah on the birth certificate I’m sure Zach will get used that much more often and I would introduce him as Zach most of the time and probably even have them call him Zach at school when the time comes. If he is to be an Izaak then my mum, dad and brother all wish to nickname him Zack still and I would be okay with this but would often address him by his full name too.  We wouldn’t want to use any other nickname for  either name as I dislike Ike and Zeke sounds like a very rude Turkish word!

Baby is to have a Turkish middle name (Alperen) and our surname is 4 letters and 2 syllables long beginning with U.

My worries with each name are as follows:

1) That Zechariah is a bit of a mouthful and that it may appear overly religious, old-fashioned and strange.  I do however feel that Zechariah isn’t as overdone as the very popular Zachary.

2) That people may feel our chosen spelling of Izaak is tacky or dumb however it will be obvious from babes’ last name that dad is foreign and this spelling is a legitimate international variant. There was also a 15th century English writer called Izaak Walton who, for some reasons, make me like the name even more. On the plus side at least, again, the spelling is more unique and , we all think, kind of cool and cute at the same time.

So after that very looooooong spiel… what do people think, which name would you pick?

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

Izaak Alperen gets my vote.

I think Izaak would be easier to pron. and although you have a more unusual spelling, I agree that with your last name it could be considered a "traditional" foregin alternative and easily remembered. 

I feel you would still get pron. issues dispite the spelling change for Zechariah. And since you still get to use the nn Zack / Zak for Izaak you get the best of both worlds.

#3 Tasha1125

Tasha1125

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

Izaak

#4 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

I agree with the above two posters; Izaak Alperen gets my vote too.

#5 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

I'm going against the crowd here and voting for Zechariah. I just love that name  :wub:

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

I agree that Izaak seems your best bet, though I do prefer Zechariah :) tough one. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users