• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:polka dots, strawberries, comfortable clothes, chocolate, good music, baby things, working with kids, blogging, my friends

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Aidan Jade
Aidan Elizabeth
Aidan Gabriella
Aidan Mackenzie
Aidan Brooke
Aidan Danielle
Aidan Jessica

I really love the name Aidan for a girl and I came up with a few middle names. Why do people freak out over naming your child a name that "should belong to a boy"??

#2 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

I'm not very keen on Aidan, be it as a boys' or a girls' name, but from your list my favourites are Aidan Elizabeth, Aidan Brooke and Aidan Jessica.

#3 Diana

Diana

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:LOVE - my family, friends, house, cooking, golfing, being irish, music is so fun, though never have been blessed with anything close to talent. parties, especially pool parties rock! names OF course and nicknames on my children are always enjoyable since there are so many!, having red hair, shopping, tennis, beach.<br />HATE - that my eyesight is getting worse, navigating my way through cities, thinking about ever leaving my town, when people butchered my maiden name(it was straightforward), sticky things, ridiculous prices at our movie theatres, driving(though it's inevitable that i do drive).

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:35 PM

i think people freak out because it's just not their style, we all have our own styles.. personally it isn't my favorite either.. i love all the girls and boys names out there, and i wuold never want to have my son named isabelle.. its jut not my favorite.. for me, there are so many boys' names i love, so if i just do a little searching, i can find one, and dont need to go to other genders.. its just my opinion, and i have no problem if people do use it. from your list, i relaly like aidan gabriella

#4 Jennifer

Jennifer

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:I am a widow, I have 5 children, 3 at home still. Right now they keep me too busy to have my own interests or at least to give them much time. I do love taking pictures and changing backgrounds etc on the computer. I read when I get a chance.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

I dont like boy names on girls at all.. but it isnt my child.

Aiden Danielle or Aiden Gabriella seem to flow ok.

#5 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

I'm not very fond of Aidan on a girl, but from your list my favourite is Aidan Gabriella

#6 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:polka dots, strawberries, comfortable clothes, chocolate, good music, baby things, working with kids, blogging, my friends

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

I've seen both boys and girls named Aidan, Parker, Casey, Kelly, Ashton, Lane and a lot of other names. What is the big deal? A name is a name.

#7 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

In my opinion, naming a girl a name like Aidan is as ridiculous as naming a boy Elizabeth or Olivia. Aidan is in the top 10 boy's names and 99% of the people who see/hear Aidan without seeing her first are going to assume she's male. That may not bother some people, but it would bother me.

If you want to name your daughter Aidan, go for it, but I'll still think it's a bad idea.

I'd pair Aidan with something clearly feminine like Gabriella, Elizabeth, or Jessica. Aidan Mackenzie sounds very boyish. Aidan Jade and Aidan Danielle are too rhymey/repetitive.

#8 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

I agree with Liz wholeheartedly. Especially when combined with variants like Aiden, Ayden, Aydan, and Aden, Aidan was the most popular name for boys in the U.S. in 2006. Some people wouldn't have a problem doing that to they're daughter, but I would. I wouldn't want her to have to constantly correct people her whole life. I've had to do that, since I go by my middle name. It's very annoying for a child. Overall, I think its a really bad idea.

But if you insist on using the name, I would certainly pair it with more of a feminine middle name That way, just in case Aidan doesn't suit her, she can go by her middle name. Like I said, correcting people might get old, but it just might be the better alternative. You'll never really know until you meet your child.

#9 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

I agree with Liz wholeheartedly. Especially when combined with variants like Aiden, Ayden, Aydan, and Aden, Aidan was the most popular name for boys in the U.S. in 2006. Some people wouldn't have a problem doing that to they're daughter, but I would. I wouldn't want her to have to constantly correct people her whole life. I've had to do that, since I go by my middle name. It's very annoying for a child. Overall, I think its a really bad idea.

But if you insist on using the name, I would certainly pair it with more of a feminine middle name That way, just in case Aidan doesn't suit her, she can go by her middle name. Like I said, correcting people might get old, but it just might be the better alternative. You'll never really know until you meet your child.

I'm going with Aidan Elizabeth. :)

#10 Kenziix3

Kenziix3

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

i love Aidan for a girl. i like Aidan Rose, and if it was to boyish for her, i could call her Aidan Rose, not just Aidan.

#11 K.C.

K.C.

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, camping, bicycling, tae kwon do, reading, spending time with my family

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

If you feel very strongly about Aiden, maybe give her a middle name she can use if she prefers something more feminine. Or, could Aiden be a middle name?

One thing to think about... when she signs up for sports, extra curricular activities, and even in school, will people assume there has been a mistake and make changes? Will teachers assume, before the school year starts, that she is a he and have to adjust suddenly? Just a thought...

#12 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

Don't even think about it!Aiden is a very VERY masculine name.

#13 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

Aiden is terrible for a girl. :)
I agree that it is a ridiculous as naming your son Veronica or Melissa. I think there are many beautiful names that you don't have to choose Aiden. :)

I don't think I would love being name Theresa.

Please Reconsider for your daughters sake.

Sincerely, Andrew

#14 ~Liz~

~Liz~

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My top peeve is when people use offensive, sacrilegious names that are supposedly Native American but aren't, just to be cool. Please, ASK about the culture before you name your kid Dakota, Cheyenne, Nayeli, etc.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

I really do not see any hint of femininity at all in the name Aiden. Plus it is super popular for boys. It was #27 last year. For girls, the number 27 spot was Lily. If you ever named your son Lily, he would probably flip out and demand you change his name.

I also don't agree with giving a girl a uber-feminine middle name to make work. If you have to do that, then that just proves you know that the name isn't really a girl's name, and you're doing whatever you can to try to make it work in your favor.

Elizabeth is a very nice girl's name though :)

#15 AidanAshley

AidanAshley

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

My name is Aidan-Ashley Ameythst Last-name

Haha, name your kid that :P

(Yes, I am a girl)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users