9 replies to this topic

#1 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

I'm really into honoring family members with children's names, sometimes in an obvious way or sometimes with derivative or variation names, etc. My grandpa died five years ago and I absolutely want to honor him with a future child's name. His name was Paul Kenton. My brother already used Kenton as my nephew's middle name, and I'm not too keen on Paul or Pauline/a / Paula. He actually went by the name PK, but I'm not crazy about many names with those initials either. But I've started seeing the name Amity popping up everywhere, which is the name of the town in which he was born and raised out in the boonies of Missouri. At first, it just seemed odd and I kinda also associate it with the Amityville Horror, but it's really starting to grow on me to the point where I'd consider using it. It's also a virtue name which means 'friendship.' What do you think about it? Do you think I could get away with the nn Amy (AY-mee)? Or would I have to stick with Amie (AM-ee) if I used a nn, since it matches the pronunciation of Amity? Obviously, people would mispronounce (and probably misspell) it left and right, but that's not a huge problem to me, since it could easily be corrected.

#2 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

The first thing that came to mind was Jaws, if I'm being perfectly honest. It has a certain charm, I think, though i can't decide if I actually like it or not.

I do adore the name Amy, though, and i like it it just like this, without changing pronunciations or spellings. Looking at Amie, I would want to say AH-mee, which I like betted than AM-ee.

Have you ever thought of just using Amy? Amy Clair is one of my favorite combos...

Anyway, Amity is not horrible. i think it could grow on me

#3 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:28 AM

I adore the name Amy and would absolutely use it, but I think it's definitely too far of a stretch to say she's been named in my grandpa's honor. I want a name that would be directly related to his name or life.
Amy/Amie/Aimee/etc I would automatically pronounce as AY-mee, but I don't know if it would work to use Amy as a nn for Amity, since the pronunciations of the 'A' are different in each name. That's why I figured maybe I could use Amie (or even Amy), but pronounce it AM-ee, but I'm not very fond of that pronunciation.

#4 Primrose

Primrose

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Acting<br />Singing <br />Dancing<br />Reading

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

I love virtue names and Amity is a great one but I can't get past Amityville Horror. Maybe you could use it as a mn?

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

I think it'd make a nice middle name, but I don't care for it. Not sure why, but I don't like the sound of it as a first name :( But, it'd be your child, so if you like it, Amity nn Amie would be nice :wub: GL!

~Haddie

#6 Enchanted

Enchanted

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Im not a huge fan of Amity but if it has significant meaning to you [which it does] then go for it; I like the nn Amie best as it matches the fn.
Hope I helped

#7 JocelynM

JocelynM

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

I can't get past Amityville Horror either, and it also makes me think of enmity and calamity. That being said, it's not horrible, certainly a lot better than some names I've heard. I agree that if you're going to use it, it would probably work best as a middle name, but it's up to you. I think you could get away with Amy as a nn, no problem. :(

#8 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

I really like the connection you have to the name, but I just don't like the way it sounds. I can't get Amityville Horror out of my mind. Even without that connection I don't like it. It seems like a nickname to Amitella or something, but of course not necessarily that. Amy is really pretty though. You could always try to find other connections to your grandfather. Maybe a friend he had, a place he liked to visit, something he did as a hobby. For example, if he was a big fan of the Seattle Mariners and you always watched the games together you could use Marin. (haha, I had to look up pro baseball teams because I had no idea.) It's kind of a stretch, but it would make a great story and always bring up great memories. Or if it was your grandmother you wanted to honor, and you always helped out in her garden you could use Lily. Just random connections could give you ideas for names. I hope this helps. :(

#9 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

I really like the name Amity and I think Amy nn (AY mee) is fine. I wouldn't think it was weird or anything...but I also think the name Amity is fine without a nn. I like underused virtue names like Patience, True and Temperence.

#10 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for all your input! :(
I think you're all right, that it would probably best be used as a middle name. The sound is just a little off. Were I to use it as a first name, I'm still undecided about the nns Amy and Amie or whether I would just call her Amity.
The Amityville Horror isn't such a big problem with for me as it seems to be for everyone else (even though I know I'm the one that brought it up, haha). It's just a movie and I'm sure there are plenty of people who still name their kids Carrie, even after that movie came out.
What do you guys think would be some good name combos, with Amity as a first or middle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users