15 replies to this topic

#1 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

A couple of days ago, a bakery refused to make a birthday cake for a couple who wanted their baby's name spelled on the cake. The boy is named: Adolf Hitler Campbell

Adolf Hitler Capmpbell is the middle child of three kids given Nazi-themed names by their parents (...)

"They're just names, you know," father Heath Campbell told the Easton Express-Times. "Yeah, they (the Nazis) were bad people back then. But my kids are little. They're not going to grow up like that."

Adolf has two sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie. The latter, just eight months old, was named for Nazi leader Heinrich Himmler.

The bizarre names came to public attention after a local ShopRite declined to provide the Holland Township, N.J., family with a cake inscribed "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler."

Here is the full story from The New York Daily News:
http://www.nydailyne...y_with_naz.html

This makes me wonder: do you think names should be somewhat regulated?

#2 Ziggidy

Ziggidy

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:My love to play hockey and baseball. My name full name is Zachary Charles Monroe and my wife Lillian and I are having our first child do on March 11. Were very excited and are looking for the perfect names.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

Even if the people named their son Adolf Hitler Campbell (I hate racism), the bakery shouldn't have refused service because of a name! Especially to a small child-who probably knows nothing about who Hitler was. Poor kid.

#3 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

Name regulation is a touchy issue. I think it's uncontionable for a parent to be able to name their child after mass murderer, but am hesitant to agree with government regulation of names - it's just too much "big brother" for comfort. That being said, I don't think that what the ShopRite did was wrong.

#4 iamSAMiam

iamSAMiam

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

I've just got one thing to say. I'd sure hate to be that kid.

#5 Raena

Raena

Baby Namer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

I agree. I would HATE to be that kid. If the family is going to be so "bold" as to name their kids after Nazis, they should realize that its a touchy subject for people and that something like the cake incident will more than likely happen many times over the course of their children's lives.

Besides, the kid eventually got the cake at Wal-Mart, so whatever.

#6 Lauren92

Lauren92

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:42 AM

Poor kid.

#7 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

I have always loved the name Adolf, but I would never give it to my kid has a first name! Maybe Benjamin Adolf!

#8 Lauren92

Lauren92

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

I have always loved the name Adolf, but I would never give it to my kid has a first name! Maybe Benjamin Adolf!

Especially with the middle name Hitler. That's just plain cruel.

#9 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:09 AM

Personally, I find it offensive that anyone would even consider using those names.
ESPECIALLY together.

#10 Lauren92

Lauren92

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Personally, I find it offensive that anyone would even consider using those names.
ESPECIALLY together.

Agreed.

#11 Lauren92

Lauren92

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

The only thing is, in this case it is quite obv. that the child has been named after Adolf Hitler. But a child may get teased just because their name is Adolf or their surname is Hitler, even though if Hitler wasn't such a bad person then there would be no negative connections with the name. I mean it isn't like you would make fun of someone for having the name Britney after Miss Spears shaved her hair.

:)

#12 Jules

Jules

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

I personally think that's just sick... I mean, why would someone name their child after Adolf Hitler? But I guess everyone's entitled to have an opinion. Still... so weird.

A few years ago, only a few months after the 9/11, I read that a couple wanted to name their son Osama Bin Laden. Hard to see an American wanting that. Anyway, that's just what I think.

#13 Pippa_Morris

Pippa_Morris

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Lacrosse<br />Basketball<br />Running<br />Skating<br />Diving<br />Swimming<br />Writing stories<br />Names :P

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

Not only did they name their son Adolf Hitler, the daughter's middle name was Aryan Nation

#14 Eva Phoenix

Eva Phoenix

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

The story has always read to me as the parents wanting the name to be seen and noticed / wanting to attract attention, so I don't sympathize that they didn't get their cake printed. Maybe it's just me, but the request for, "Happy birthday, Adolf Hitler Campbell!" seems a pretty odd request in itself. I don't know any parents who want their child's entire name spelled out on a birthday cake; most I know don't put anything more than the first name. I agree with Raena, if they want to be "bold" and name their kids Hitler, Himmler, and Aryan Nation, they need to realize this sort of thing is likely going to happen many more times in those kids' lifetimes.

As for the government regulating names, sometimes as much as it makes me grit my teeth to say, I have to disagree with it in any regard, because it's a fine line we start to walk when it comes to regulating personal choices.

#15 thirdandfinal

thirdandfinal

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:scrapbooking, photography, reading, movies, camping, family time.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

I don't think the name Adolph should be completely obliterated because of the monster that was Adolph Hitler, but I think it's obvious the parents ar going to extremes for attention here. It's one thing to choose a name like Adolph and figure well, it's time we took back this name, and take away some of the power it holds. It's entirely another to include Hitler in it too, and names like "Aryan Nation" and so on. Come on. Those aren't even names. That's just ridiculous. I hope when the kids are old enough to legally change their names themselves they can also publish something telling t heir parents exactly what they thought of them, using them like that.

#16 Talto11

Talto11

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Love Love Love Babies:)

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I feel bad for that kid. People are going to hate him when he grows up just because of his name. It's one thing for people to say that they are not racist, but even a totaly un-racist person would probably have trouble taking someone with that name seriously. If i were him, i would change my name as soon as i was old enough. Imagine what it's going to be like for him when they learn about WW2 in school! It'll be torture! Those parents are idiots if you ask me. It's like they hate their kids or something....What could possibly posess them to do this!!! I'm just blown away....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users