9 replies to this topic

#1 bebeeg

bebeeg

Administrator

• Community Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Mothers and fathers "should return to using a name like Maria, which is inspired by the Virgin Mary", instead of opting for "exotic or strange names of which their children will later be ashamed", the bishop said. There were signs that parents were reverting to traditional names for boys, "but this is still not the case with baby girls, alas".

Read the full article here: http://www.timesonli...icle5266931.ece

What do you think? Should we go back to traditional names?
Is there a mismatch between the popularity of traditional boy names and the popularity of traditional girl names?

#2 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Interests:I love writing, reading, sports of any kind(my favorites being basketball & soccer), music, and hanging out with my friends and family.

AND, I of course love thinking of baby names even though that is a VERY far in the future thing for me because I'm still young!

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

No, I don't think we should. If we did, everyone would have the same names and well, I don't think that's very fun. I love that everyone has a name unique to themselves.

#3 kwatts

kwatts

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

My husband and I are commited Christians, and we don't see the point of this. It's one thing to attack real social issues in our world today. But I think attacking naming choices is a little out of bounds for the Church. Sure, there are some odd names that kids later in life might hate. But if they hate it that bad they can change it. I just am not getting how the Church can choose to attack people on this. Membership is already declining, and saying stuff like this just drives people away.

#4 Raena

Raena

Baby Namer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

I hadn't heard about this until just now, honestly...

We're not back in the 1700s when every 3rd girl was named Mary. People like diversity and at least the names are Christian!
Besides, I really don't think God has a list of names in which he approves, why does the church have to have one?

It's not like your name decides whether or not you go to Heaven, so the church should just mind its own business.

#5 soccerisluv(:

soccerisluv(:

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

I don't think it really matters, but personnally I like the traditional names better.

Girls:
Anna
Ava (yes, this was an old name)
Ada
Maria
Mary
Marie
Mary-___
Laura
Elizabeth
etc.

Boys:
Michael
Matthew
Gregory
Luke
Mark
Matt
John
James
etc.

I just think that simple names are very sweet and innocent. But I also like more common names!

#6 Guest_Evy_*

Guest_Evy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

I'm a born Catholic, and I really don't get the point of this. It'd be like them telliing me "Your sisters and brother get to go to heaven because they have 'Catholic' names, but you don't." Bummer! Personally, I love having a different name, and it'd be SO boring to just be another 'Mary'.

(My sisters name both have Maria -the Spanish variation of Mary- and my brother has a Jose -Spanish variation of Joseph-.

#7 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,027 posts
  • Interests:I love reading, and writing, handging out with my friends, Drama and listening to music. I can't sing to save my life. I kinda like walking my dog, I love all animals, and travelling.

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

I think it's up to parents to decide what they call their children, not the Church. I prefer more traditional names, but thats then me, I think we all have the right to choose names for their children. I agree Kheliann (sp? soz), it is driving people away.

#8 callumbibumbum

callumbibumbum

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

Callum and I are both Catholics and love our traditional "old" style of names such as Rupert and Rosalind. But we still love certain strange names.
There is a certain point in which names can be ridiculous though such as Jordan (Katie Price) calling her daughter Princess. I mean, that is just mean ....
It would seem that celebrities are becoming more and more obsessed with naming their children the most odd names.

#9 callumbibumbum

callumbibumbum

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:12 AM

I agree with you, I was thrilled to read the other day in a paper that Jennifer Anniston (Spelling?) is planning on adopting a little boy and naming him Nicholas she loved the names Nicholas,William and Jeremiah but has decided on Nicholas. I was amazed that one celeb has not been hit by the urge to name their children the most odd and strange names. :D

Oh good. I am glad of that because I like Jennifer Aniston. That is who Emma's middle name is after. I know that sounds sad but I love her.

#10 soccerisluv(:

soccerisluv(:

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:10 AM

No, Callum, that's funny!
At least you didn't name her Emma Aniston. Anniston/Aniston is actually being used now. I guess it's kinda cute, but not great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users