Jamison Marie?! Madison Nicholas?! Taylor?! Camryn?!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_APassionateBabyNamer_*

Guest_APassionateBabyNamer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hi guys, how do you feel about unisex names, boys' names on girls, and girls' names on boys? Do you know anyone whose name falls into any of these categories? If so, how does the person feel about her/his name? Thanks, APassionateBabyNamer :)

#2 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

I like TRUE unisex names like Loran/Loren/Lauren, Kelly, Shannon, Morgan, Aubrey, Elliot and Bailey. Teagan, Ava and Quinn are nice as well but they're not quite true unisex names.

I HATE boys names on girls like Ryan, Dylan, Avery and James. End of story. (No offence to those who like it or have that kind of name of course :) )

Certain "girl" names like Ashley, Madison, Addison, McKenzie, and Renee all started out as male names and evolved into nearly exclusively female names and are some of the truest unisex names as far as the meaning of unisex and I could accept names like those on a boy now a days (My cousin is named Kyle McKenzie). Some of these names' meanings actually say " Son of......." and so on. But putting something like Brooklyn, Kylie, Kathryn or Isabella on a boy is a definite No-No in my book.

#3 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people take traditional male names and make them feminine. <_< Sorry if that offends anyone, but it's just my opinion. I personally tend to stray from even slightly unisex names because I would want my kids to have either all male or all female names. I would want someone to immediately know my kid's gender if they saw his or her name.

That's just my opinion though. I know other people like the ambiguity that unisex names offer. I've met lots of girls with "boy" names, like Ryanne / Ryan, Devin / Devyn, Kyle, Drew, etc. Personally, I think it just makes it hard for your kid. I would think it'd be frustrating to go through life constantly being mistaken for the opposite gender because of your name.

#4 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

I with the rest of you. I like it for myself, but usually, on the normal public, yuck.
I LOVE Madison/Maddeson on a boy, since it was originally a boys name.

Here's a list I like of TRUE unisex names and what I like them for :)
Taylor (either)
Skyler (boy)
Madison (boy)
Kelly (girl)
Shelley (girl)
Chris (boy)
Kim (girl)
Shannon (boy)
Teagan (boy)
Quinn (boy)

#5 ABR

ABR

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well, my name is Avery and I'm a girl, so I really can't stand it on a boy. Mostly because I've met WAY more girls named Avery. I've got a younger sister named Camryn, and I love it on a girl (but Cameron is total boy). I liked my name until it became popular (it lost it's charm to me). Camryn is a girly, girl though and likes her names. As for unisex names...

I mourn Kendall, it's so handsome on a little boy. I also hate that I'm hearing names like Ryan, James, Logan etc. on girls, especially Logan, if that goes to the girls I will never get over it.

Boys names that lend themselves to girls nicknames I don't mind as much, like Elliot "Elli" or Emerson "Emmy".

A lot of "-son" names I think have gone girl, like Madison and Addison and I think those are all girl, but Jackson/Anderson etc. are still for boys

Girly names on guys drive me nuts. If it was in the top #500 for girls I wouldn't use it for my son... (Yes even Kendall :( )

Honestly, I'd use a unisex name, but not a TRULY unisex name (Taylor for example) as that would just confuse people.

#6 Wildflowerchild

Wildflowerchild

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm not sure what it is, but I really like unisex names. I like masculine names on girls and "less masculine" names on boys. I have Quinn on my girls list a couple times.

I really like Ryan, Preston, Finley, and Dylan on a girl, but they're all on my list with super girly first/middle names.

I guess the only "true" unisex name I like would be Addison, and I like it for a boy. I have Brody Addison on my boys list.

I've been mistaken for a boy a lot since I started school because of my first name. And my middle name, Blake, doesn't really help me much lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users