• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HxppySxng

HxppySxng

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Interests:Planners, piercings, Witchcraft, Netflix, & baking.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

This didn't seem so much of a game as just asking for feedback, so please categorize my 21 girls' singles into the categories of Love, Like, and Lose; 7 per category. Please give some explanation as to why you placed the names where you did, thanks!!

Aaliyah

Aiyana

Brandy

Breezy

Cheyenne

Chloe

Courtney

Gemma

Giselle

Jacqueline

Juliet

Kendra

Lana

Lux

Madeleine

Marissa

Megan

Michelle

Sloane

Terra

Vanessa

#2 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Love: Jacqueline, Juliet, Lux, Madeleine

Like: Gemma, Lana, Megan

Lose: Aaliyah (way too clunky, I quite like the Alia/Alya spellings though), Breezy (could be cute as a nn for Beatrice, but not standalone, I couldn't take someone serious with it, I don't think), Giselle (always seemed like a stripper name to me, sorry to be harsh!), Terra (but I don't mind the Tara spelling)

The rest I don't have much of any feeling towards. I don't dislike them, but I don't necessarily like them either. Just not my style.

How about:
Ariana, Athena, Aurora, Eliana, Fallon, Fiona, Isla, Kennedy, Maeve, Sienna

#3 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

Love

Juliet - it's such a pretty classic and I love that it's not super popular. The nickname Jules would be cute.

Madeleine - This is nice, and though I'm not a huge fan of "Maddy/Maddie" names, I love this spelling (I have a thing for e and i together, my favorite girl's name is Annaliese).

Jacqueline - I just think this is a pretty name, and the nickname Jackie is cute. I have a cousin Jackie who spells it Jacquelyn, but I do like the -ine ending better.

Kendra - I'm not sure exactly what draws me to this name, but ever since one of my teachers a few years ago said it was her daughter's name, I've liked it.

Lana - I prefer Alana with Lana as a nickname, but either way I think this name is cute and pretty.

Terra - I have bad connotations with Tara, but I like Terra spelled this way, and I like that it means 'earth' with this spelling as well.

Vanessa - Honestly, I would never use it, and Vanessa as a whole is just okay to me, but I do like Nessa, Nessie, Essa, Essie, or just Ness as a nickname.

Megan - It's okay, but I know it's kind of common with teenage girls right now, so I can't see it on a little girl that well. Meggie would be a cute nickname when she's little though.

Michelle - It's okay, I think it would be really pretty as a middle.

Lux - I think it's interesting and cool that it means 'light,' and I actually watched a TV show with a girl named Lux once.

Courtney - This was actually the last name of my English teacher last year as well as the first name of a childhood friend whom we called Coco. I think it's alright.

Chloe - I absolutely hated this name for the longest time, but hearing it more it's starting to grow on me a little bit. Again, I think it's okay.

Marissa - It feels a bit outdated, but is still an okay name.

Giselle - A bit light and airy for the name of a grown woman, but the nickname Elle would be adorable.

Lose

Aaliyah - Honestly, I think Alia is okay, but the Aaliyah spelling is just clunky and unappealing to me.

Aiyana - This one is alright, nickname Ana would be cute, it's just not my style.

Brandy - Reminds me of the drink and feels a bit nickname-y as well as outdated.

Breezy - Definitely not one of my favorites. Feels like a word to me and nothing more. Maybe I could see it as a nickname for Beatrice, Brittany, or Briana?

Cheyenne - I have slightly negative connotations with this name and I just don't really like it.

Gemma - This is in the same boat that Chloe was in for a long time, where I just really dislike it. I've said this before, but it's probably because my name is Jenna and it sounds like a mispronunciation of my name (I had one friend who called me Jemma occasionally and it drove me nuts).

Sloane - I think it's a perfectly acceptable name, I'm just not a fan.

• HxppySxng likes this

#4 RoseByAnyOtherName

RoseByAnyOtherName

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Baby names (obviously), genetics, dancing, writing/reading, film/TV, fashion and sleeping...

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

Love:

1. Aaliyah (I love how this name is quite well known but still exotic. In my top list too!)

2. Cheyenne (It's a really nice name, has good nicknames and still sounds unique.)

3. Gemma (Beautiful versatile ladylike name with a really nice meaning!)

4. Jacqueline (This name just sounds like a future first lady to me, strong and classic!)

5. Megan (A classic, love the nickname Meg, but works well on its own too.)

6. Michelle (This name is very classy and strong, ages well and fits well into professional jobs.)

7. Terra (Being Italian I'm obviously biased, plus it's unusual without being unheard-of!)

Like:

1. Aiyana (I like how it sounds but the spelling is way too hard and complicated in my opinion.)

2. Courtney (I don't not like it, however I can't help think of Kourtney Kardashian somehow.)

3. Giselle (The name is very pretty and ages well, reminds me of the ballett, sounds like gazelle though.)

4. Juliet (Very nice girl name, however the Romeo & Juliet connection is very very strong.)

5. Lux (Love the meaning, prefer as a middle name, personal preference I don't really love short names.)

6. Madeleine (Classy and elegant, however there could be spelling issues and I'm not sure I like the "mad".)

7. Marissa (Really good name, but it doesn't stick out as special compared to the others to me.)

Lose:

1. Brandy (Don't really know why and no offense to anyone who has/likes the name but I think it's a bit trashy)

2. Breezy (A bit too out-there hippy feeling for me, I also don't think it ages all too well and can't be shortened)

3. Chloe (Solid per se, but I can't help but be reminded to the chemical element chlorine for whatever reason)

4. Kendra (This name does nothing for me, and I can't really get behind any possible nicknames either) 

5. Lana (The name is not bad at all... Until you read it backwards, which I can guarantee kids will do)

6. Sloane (That's one unisex name I associate with boys more than girls. Also it reminds me of Grey's Anatomy)

7. Vanessa (Personal reasons, no offense, but every Vanessa I've ever known has been two-faced and snitchy)

• HxppySxng likes this

#5 MissJay

MissJay

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

Love

Gemma: Love, Love, LOVE Gemma :)

Giselle: I think it is underused and has a very sophisticated feel to it.

Juliet: So pretty!

Terra: I prefer this to the other spelling Tara

Lux: Lux is so perfect and spunky!

Madeleine: A classic name that you can never go wrong with

Sloane: I love the vintage, unisex feel of Sloane

Aaliyah: It has a pretty sound, but has become too popular

Chloe: It seems a little too childish to me, hard to picture on an adult

Kendra: Kendra is nice and you don't see it much.

Marissa: Same as Kendra, it isn't overly popular

Michelle: A little dated to me, but still works

Lana: I think this one is going to become a lot more popular because of Lana Del Rey

Vanessa: It's okay, I love the nickname Ness or Nessa though. 

Lose

Brandy: I don't like the association to the alcoholic drink

Breezy: I don't think this will age well. It would be a cute nickname for a little girl though.

Cheyenne: Never really cared for it.

Aiyana: Looks made up to me, I think you would run into some pronunciation problems frequently

Megan: Way too popular.

Courtney: This screams 90's to me.

Jacqueline: I don't care for it because of the very harsh sound it has. 

• HxppySxng likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users