6 replies to this topic

#1 Rosie&Scott

Rosie&Scott

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Okay, so I'm a name nerd, but they really fascinate me!
This shows what effect your first initial may have on your life and life choices! I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but it's interesting!

The name letter effect is the hypothesis that the probability of certain actions can be influenced by the first letter of the name of the person performing the action. For example, thatt Bill is more likely to move to Buffalo than a city that does not begin with a "B".
- Choice of living location (city, state)
- Choice of spouse (e.g. Omar being more likely to marry Ophelia than Patricia)
- Choice of brand
- Choice of occupation (e.g. a disproportionate number of dentists named Dennis)
- Academic performance in systems that use letter grades (e.g. for Academic grading in North America, students with names beginning with "A" tend to do better than students with names beginning with "D". Studied for MBAs, law students, and undergraduates.)
- Sports performance (e.g. people with names beginning with "K" being more likely to strike out)
- Donations to natural disasters

from wikipedia

Any thoughts/stories?

Rosie.

#2 Evy

Evy

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

thats kind of neat.

does that mean i'm more likely to move to England than Victoria, BC? :)

#3 Rosie&Scott

Rosie&Scott

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hmmm, possibly, although now that you know maybe your subconscious won't guide you there as your conscious will be saying; 'Evy from England' so I think Victoria still has a chance! What a dizzy thought.

I don't think any of them apply to me, but I'm hoping that the Academic performance part has an effect on the girls as they're all 'A's!

Rosie

#4 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Wow, I never thought of that. I haven't ever noticed that I've been drawn to things that begin with an R....if I stay here in the US, I guess I'll have to move to Rhode Island, the only state that starts with an R :)

#5 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

That is really interesting! The only thing I can thing of is when playing hangman, where you pick letters and try to guess a word, I ALWAYS pick "A" first because my name starts with an "A". Other than that I've never noticed myself doing choosing "A" things.

#6 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

This is interesting. Now that I think about it I am drawn to certain things beginning with "A". I am more likely to talk to someone I don't know if their name starts with an "A".

Weird!

~alyssa

#7 Guest_Tora_*

Guest_Tora_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

This is definetly interesting.

I don't know if it applies to me because I can't think of anything that starts with V other than Violin! :)

I do tend to be more competive maybe that's my name driveing me to be Victorious!

-Tor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users