8 replies to this topic

#1 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

Someone made a poll asking about name trends in 2010 and I thought it would a be a very interesting topic to discuss here.

So, what names would you like to see come out on top in 2010? and go down?

#2 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

These are the answers that people gave in the polls section:

I would really like to see some more classic names for both boy and girls some that aren’t really used like Todd and Curtis (Curt) for boys Anne/Ann (as a first name), Marie, Genevieve, Jacqueline as first names. Names I would like to see less of are Isabella/Bella, Liam, Stella, Logan, and boys names on girls.

Abigail not abby
Derek
Patrick

Definitely want to see less boy names on girls, names that end in leigh or lyn, names that start with Mc, overused for decades names like Matthew, Michael, Christopher, Jessica, Emily, etc.
I would like to see more unique, classic names that are outside the top 100. Let’s have some creativity...but no crazy misspellings!
Unisex names need a rest, as do names from the 80s like Heather, Tiffany, Kristi, Amber, etc.
I would like to see less filler mns like Nicole, Grace, Rose, Paige, Renee, Alexander and James.

I would love to see pretty classy uncommon names like
Felicity
Marilyn
Tess
Alice
Bridget
Belinda
Cora
Holly
Penelope
Adeline
Jane
Yasmin
Sarai
Gwendolyn

Meredith Eden and Edith are pretty uncommon but are gorgeous and deserve their day in the sun!

#3 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

More answers:

My top 5 to go up:
Girls:
Gemma
Kristen
Cassidy
Zoey
Molly

Boys:
Kieran
Jude
Evan
Miken
Emmett

Top 5 to go down:
Girls:
Ava
Emily
Isabella/Isabelle (I love this name though)
Olivia (love that name too)
Lily (love that too)

Boys:
Ryan (love it)
Logan
Matthew
Alexander
Michael

I'm with 2nd poste, I hate boy names like Logan, Peyton, and Dylan on girls! Just like Elizabeth, Marie, and Anne have moved to middle names, itīs#146;s time for Matthew, William, Emily, and Ashley all become middle names and a new generation of unique classy names to move up!

Second poster totally agree with everything you just said!

third poster I love and would love to see more:
Marilyn
Alice
Bridget
Holly
Adeline
Jane
Sarai

Fourth poster I LOVE Edith and Meredith totally agree!

5th poster I like Kristin and Molly, Jude and Evan! Thanks everyone this is fun!

I would like to see GIRL names like:
Heather
Flora
Marlena
Julianne
Juliet

Less names like:
Olivia
Addison
Paige
Payton

I’m not opposed to unisex names...I just can’t believe the persistence of some posters on this topic!!! Life needs variety - just because it’s not your taste, doesn’t make it wrong!!!

More Julianne’s Julianna’s and Heathers are a great idea to IMO!

I`'d like to see more of:
-20s-style names
-classics
-Biblical names

I’d like to see less of:
-trendy names
-boys’ names on girls (and none of them on boys either)
-dumb "modern" spellings (like Jaxon and Jayne)
-dumb word names (like Ransom or Chaos)
-"cutesy" names (like Gracie as a full name)
-boy names ending in the "en" sound
-dumb names like Sawyer and Hunter

And definitely less "unique" names. Being the 100th Michael may be annoying, but certainly less annoying than being "the one with the weird name".

#4 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:26 AM

Well, I don't really get to 'live' the trends,seeing as I live in a totally different country where trends are almost non existent.

Generally, though, I think that:

*it would be good to avoid using nicknames as full names (ie. Ellie is certainly cute on a child, but what about a college application? Using something classy like Eleanor will solve the problem).

*Spelling changes should not completely alter the names, which can become weird or even ridiculous. (ie. Elyse may be a nice twist on the more traditional Elise, but something like Addysyn totally butchers the name imo)

*Unisex names are fine, but I think they should be used wisely; In my opinion, giving a girl a name that's meant for a boy or sounds very masculine isn't the best of choices( Hunter or Phonenix may be unisex for the books, but I find it very hard to picture a little girl with those names). Same goes for boys (thinking of male Harper's, Alexis's and Addison's makes me cringe)-- but of course, it's very personal.

*It would be nice for some names that are considered 'simple' or 'bland' to be used more as first names.
As of now, I don't think an Anne or a Jane would have much competition, among the Nevaeh's and Ava's. (Not that there's anything bad with those names, I just prefer traditional to trendy).

And I think that's it.
As I said, naming is an extremely personal thing, so we can only judge and generalize so much <_<

#5 D3sire

D3sire

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

So, what names would you like to see come out on top in 2010? and go down?

I get really bothered when my favorites move up the list as I tend to avoid anything in the top 50 or so. Julian has been climbing the charts the past few years and I am hoping to see him go down a few spots and not make the top 50. Really I am just hoping that none of my favorites hit more then 70. I am anticipating a dramatic rise in 'Twilight names' ie. Jasper was 452 in 08 and I have a feeling he will climb a few spots as well as Edward, Alice etc.

#6 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

I get really bothered when my favorites move up the list

Ditto.
In general, speaking right now of Italian names in Italy, I usually like names that are less common and more on the unique side.
So it really bothers me when my favourite names are the most popular, too.

I am anticipating a dramatic rise in 'Twilight names' ie. Jasper was 452 in 08 and I have a feeling he will climb a few spots as well as Edward, Alice etc.

Right! I hadn't thought of Twilight! <_<

You're probably right, names such as Jasper and Edward will climb the charts pretty quickly, and I think Isabella is at an already high spot.

By the way, I love Julian! :wub:

#7 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

I too would love to see some more classic names as opposed to the trendy, popular names like Madison, Ava (actually a very old, classy name), Aiden, Jacob.

The misspellings can go as well. I'm sick of all the K's being replaced by traditional C's ex: Kaleb, Katelyn, Kaden, Konnor, Kameron, etc. All the y's for i's and anywhere else they can be squeezed in ex: Madysyn, Kynley, MycKynzie, etc. and the -AYDEN trend ex: Aiden, Brayden, Caden, Hayden, Jayden, Thaden, Zayden, etc. etc. etc.

And of course, my absolute least favorite trend: Boys names on girls. Give it a rest. No girl named Hunter, Carson, Devon, or any other male name is ever cute in my book. There are millions of beautiful girl names, USE THEM! Sorry, I'll stop ranting on that one...

I hope this decade sees some better trends.

P.S. Peyton/Payton can go too. It's ridiculous on boys AND girls.

#8 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

I think Ever will be really popular.

And the Twilight names.

#9 -SassyCassie-

-SassyCassie-

Superstar Baby Namer