How to honour Great -Grandmother?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drtysmuggler

Drtysmuggler

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Cooking Gormet Meals for Friends and Family,TV Shows(Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Dexter, SOA), Going to the Movies (Hunger Games, Great Gatsby, American History X), Playing Softball, Going on vacations, Road trips

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

My DH and I are trying to come up with baby name ideas and think it would be awesome to honour my 90 year grandmother before she passes. I'm a big fan of unique unusual names. Hubby prefers more traditional names.
My grandmother is the spirit of our entire family! Strong sweet and loving! We have all been blessed to have her in our lives.
Anyway a little bit about her to help:
Her name is Margaret Catherine (nee Frew). She goes by Marg but as a child was nicknamed Fairy for her tiny stature. 'Fairy' has been a name that has carried with her all of her life and we would love to incorporate this somehow.
She was born in Canada however her family immigrated from Scotland just before she was born. She has a strong Scottish history.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! We are seeking either boy or girl names :-)

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

I really like the name Farris for a girl which has a similar sound to Fairy.  Ferris would also work for a boy.   

Fae / Fay / Faye of course means Fairy and Fayette is a variation of Fay which could work for a boy or girl. 

If you would like to go with a variation of her given name, Margo / Margot / Margaux is one of my favorites.  Greta is another great variation of Margaret (and also my new baby niece's name).  I also have a friend with a daughter Kathryn called Ryn. Ren could also work for a boy. 

Mark or maybe GarrettRhett (Margaret) would also work to honor your great-grandmother. 

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

#3 neverland

neverland

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

I believe Freya means fairy.  Also I would consider Marguerite.  Catherine is beautiful all by itself.

I agree with the pp about Garrett or Rhett.  Or maybe give him the same initials... Matthew Chase?

#4 Viv

Viv

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

What about Katerina or Katrina? They are a good mix of classic and unusual, and they are forms of Catherine.

Forms of Margaret:

Greta

Megan/Meghan

Gretchen,

Mared

Manci

Forms of Catherine:

Katerine

Katrina

Catalina

Kasen

Kasia / Kassia

Caitlin

Cassia

Faye means fairy. Parisa means fairy-like. Shea means fairy palace. Tatiana means fairy queen. Ella means fairy.

For boys, Oberon means king of the fairies. Oren/Orin means fairy. 

• Addison likes this

#5 Drtysmuggler

Drtysmuggler

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Cooking Gormet Meals for Friends and Family,TV Shows(Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Dexter, SOA), Going to the Movies (Hunger Games, Great Gatsby, American History X), Playing Softball, Going on vacations, Road trips

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Loving the ideas! Thanks everyone!

So far I am drawn to

Orin Garett

Ella-ryn

I will have to propose these to DH and see what he thinks :)

#6 Bunko0

Bunko0

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Fae/Faye/Fay means "Fairy." Here are some ideas for combos:

Karina Faye/Carina Faye 

Catrina Faye (Scottish form of Catherine)

Fay Marguerite

Caitlin Marjorie 

#7 NewMom32714

NewMom32714

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Maggie Fayelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users