Is Charlotte weird?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BabyNamePro_*

Guest_BabyNamePro_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think that Charlotte is such a weird name in so many ways. First of all it seriously has the word harlot in it and rhymes with harlot! Besides that, it means "man". It's also rising extremely quickly in popularity. And to me it doesn't even sound very feminine or pretty. What do you guys think about it?

#2 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Paying off student loans & over-priced coffee.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Charlotte is one of my favorite names. I love vintage/old-fashioned/classic names though. I also love the nn Lottie.
To each their own.

#3 Kayleigh Michelle

Kayleigh Michelle

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

I adore the name Charlotte!! I admit that when I first heard it I wasn't a big fan of it... But I dunno, my taste has changed I guess! I also really like the nickname Lottie too.<3

#4 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

I adore the name Charlotte.
It has a southern belle feel to it plus, the nickname potential!

Not to mention, my boss has two little girls, and the youngest is named Charlotte <3 she's so stinking cute!
  • ßlush likes this

#5 Guest_AngelaV_*

Guest_AngelaV_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I adore the name Charlotte.
It has a southern belle feel to it plus, the nickname potential!

Not to mention, my boss has two little girls, and the youngest is named Charlotte <3 she's so stinking cute!

My niece is named Charlotte Olivia. I personally love the name! :-D

#6 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

I love the name! And the nickname Lottie.

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Charlottes a favorite of mine, but I can see why people might not love it. Its the female diminutive of Charles, so naturally the meaning is less feminine. Its the same to me as Theodora vs Theodore, Henrietta vs Henry, etc. Just feminized versions of a male name. I guess the harlot in the middle really isn't noticeable as its pronounced SHAR-let, though if your looking for it you can see it. Honestly the name Harlow bothers me a little more than Charlotte on that association, probably cause it seems closer in a way. I feel like some people like the nick name Charlie out of it, others like Lottie. I personally like both. But it does have a vintage feel to it. I have a great aunt Charlotte and a great uncle Charles and maybe Charles / Charlotte's in my family so in my mind it was an option. Unfortunately Mikes not as much a fan.

I also think to each their own though! I guess I have a similar thought on Beatrix / Beatrice but its really just the way it sounds in MY head, not necessarily to everyone ;) I don't personally see the femininity to it, nor do I see "pretty". But I've never met a Beatrix / Beatrice, so maybe one day I will and it will change my opinions on the name lol!

#8 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Paying off student loans & over-priced coffee.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

One of the first times I heard the name Charlotte was in the book One of a Kind Family - I liked it then because I'd never heard it and I thought it was different. The little girl in the book is nicknamed Lottie. Also, I saw the name Gertrude for the first time in that book and actually liked it because the little girl was called Gertie. She was so cute on the cover! haha Associations can be really strong and lasting with regard to a name. Normally I probably wouldn't like the name Gertrude/Gertie, but on a cute little girl with blond pigtails, it seemed so charming. :)

#9 PaigeA

PaigeA

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

I don't really like the name personally. It's just not my style and I know many many Charlotte's, it has always been a very popular name where I live. I see why others may like it though :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users