10 replies to this topic

#1 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Okay so I cannot even believe that I have started to fall for a hyphenated name.

I'll be honest here [and no offence to anyone with a hyphenated name] but I just dont like them. Not my style, at all.
My gorgeous Cousins little Baby [who I call my Niece] has the name Tiana-Lee... which is adorable :)
An lately I have been trying to figure out, how I could use both Sienna and Lily as first names, and still have the combo 'Sienna Lily' :)

I am considering Sienna-Lily, because
1) I still get the name combo that I loove
2) I would still be able to use both Sienna and Lily as first names
3) When Sienna-Lily, got older if she disliked the more 'cutesy' name, Lily. Then everyone could still call her Sienna.

Anyways, opinions/thoughts? ♥ ♥

[still cant believe im actually thinking of using a hyphenated name :P]

#2 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

I have to agree that hypehnated names are not my thing either. I really don't like them and will never, ever use them myself.

I love the fn/mn combo Sienna Lily (it's on my list too and is probably my absolute favourite on there) but I don't know if I like Sienna-Lily. I only like Lily as a middle name (I'm sure we all have those kind of names) so I could never use it as a first name. And, I also am not a fan of nicnames and don't plan on actually giving my children nicnames (if they want one they can fin one themselves :) ) so if I were ever to use Sienna-Lily as a fully name I'd get so sick of saying it, but I'd probably refuse to just call her Sienna (I'm like that).

Anyway, back on topic, if you want to use it, then I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just not my style :) I adore the combo though, so I love both names.

Sorry for the rambling.

#3 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

Does it have to have the dash in there? Like, I know a Mary Katherine and she's not Mary-Katherine... I just think it looks nicer as Sienna Lily rather than Sienna-Lily...

Would you use a middle name? My friend Mary Katherine is Mary Katherine Louise (Last Name)... Like, Mary Katherine is her first name. No one ever calls her Mary.

I dig it though, both names are pretty.

#4 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

I've gotta agree with Saoirse. You can still have both Sienna and Lily as a double first name, but in my opinion you should lose the hyphen. Just go with Sienna Lily. :)

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

I'm not much for hyphenated names myself... Except I did adore Emma Kate for the longest time, and still do!

I think Sienna Lily is beautiful! I think if you really want it to be both first names, you don't even need a hyphen. I dislike hyphens for whatever reason lol! But, I don't personally like it... <3

I think Sienna Lily is beautiful just like that! Lily as a middle name, I think <3 But, oh well. If you really love it, then use it! Not like the child would be teased or anything :) Plus, it ages fine. I don't particularly like the length, but thats just my personal thoughts. If you don't mind it, there's nothing wrong with it :)

~ Haddie

#6 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE hyphenated names, which makes me weird on this site *lol*. I love names that go with John, like John-David, John-Thomas, John-Wesley, John-Henry.... or James-Robert :)

I love Sienna Lilly, but not hyphenated, Just FN: Sienna MN: Lilly

#7 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

I like hyphenated names, but why the dash???? John David looks better than John-David.

#8 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Because the dash is called a hyphen, so putting the dash between the names (Henry-Jack) makes it a hyphenated name.

#9 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

I agree with the majority, lose the hyphen.

#10 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:02 AM

So do you guys think Sienna Lily would work without the hyphen as one name?! Because im thinking that then people might just call her Sienna..

Because I do like it better, minus the hyphen :)

#11 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

I'm saying, I know a lot girls with names like Mary Louise and Mary Katherine and Sara Jane and and Lindsay Leigh and no one calls them Mary, Sara, or Lindsay. Maybe it's because I grew up in the south, but yeah, lose the hyphen.

Side note: You can't really predict what people will call her. She might prefer just going by Sienna when she gets older. Also, you might like calling her Sienna Lily, but you are out numbered in the world haha.

Overall, I think Sienna Lily is very pretty as double first name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users