#1 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

I have completely fallen in love with the name Finley. I heard it on a little girl the other day at work, but I think it's so handsome for a boy. But it worries me that it's becoming more popular for girls - actress Angie Harmon has a daughter named Finley, and it worries me that it's going to become more feminine like Quinn or Avery. I really do like the nickname Finn as well, but I worry that it's too "Glee" right now.

I have Finley James on my list right now, but other middle name suggestions would be welcome.

As for boys' names, I've been finding more that I like recently:

Bennett {Benny or Ben}

Cade - just on its own. I'm not a huge fan of Caden (though its my favorite out of the -aden names) But I think Cade is really cute on it's own

Dominic

Nolan - I have this on my list as a middle name for Jacob, but I've been liking the idea of using it as a first name recently

Sawyer - there's something I adore about this name, but there's something about it I just can't warm up to either. It's hovering between usable/not usable for me haha

Donovan - It fits in perfectly with my love of Irish names, but is it too last name? Is Donny a cute nickname, or is it too dated?

Milo - I met a little boy with the name at work the other day, and I think it's so cute. However, is it usable? To me, it seems kind of like a pet name, but seeing it and liking it on a little boy made me reconsider

As for girls, the list is much shorter, and I think only one of them is actually gonna go on my list:

Sasha - my love for the actress Sasha Alexander has made me consider this name. I really love girl names that end in A, and this name is simple, yet pretty, like many of my other girl names. I would like middle name suggestions for this one

Nora - I always go back and forth with this name. Some days, it's simple, pretty and sweet. Other days, it's a bit old fashioned, dated, and boring.

Caela {KY-la} - I'd probably never use this one, but I did name a story character this back in the day. It means 'sky' in Latin, which I think is such pretty meaning. Of course, in Latin the 'ae' sound is pronounced like a long 'i' but in English it's pronounced like a long 'a' so there would always be the issue of mispronunciation. I guess I was just wondering if you guys see any appeal in the name, or is my taste in this name just too out there?

Thanks so much guys!

#2 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

I have Finley James on my list right now, but other middle name suggestions would be welcome. - Finley does feel just a bit Glee to me. It's pretty nms and I do kinda see it going the way of Quinn or Avery. For middle names, I'd suggest Finley Matthias, Finley Clark, or Finley Joel.

As for boys' names, I've been finding more that I like recently:

Bennett {Benny or Ben} - love Bennett! Bit trendy-feeling, but the nickname Ben is so handsome yet cute that it's worth it.

Cade - just on its own. I'm not a huge fan of Caden (though its my favorite out of the -aden names) But I think Cade is really cute on it's own- really like the sound of Cade, but worry that it sounds kind of close to the common Kate.

Dominic - LOVE Dominic. Know a guy by this name (though his is spelled Dominick), and it works well. I always call him Dom or Domi and he's cool with that.

Nolan - I have this on my list as a middle name for Jacob, but I've been liking the idea of using it as a first name recently - Personally like this a lot more than Jacob, though Jacob Nolan sounds nice. Like the Revenge character, he's pretty cool. Think I'd only ever use Nolan as a middle, though, because I don't see any particularly good nicknames.

Sawyer - there's something I adore about this name, but there's something about it I just can't warm up to either. It's hovering between usable/not usable for me haha - I've always thought Sawyer's appeal lies in it sounds sort of rough or roguish. I think for me, it's hard to like it because of no real nicknames and it feels a bit trendy. I wouldn't use it but I don't have any real problem with it.

Donovan - It fits in perfectly with my love of Irish names, but is it too last name? Is Donny a cute nickname, or is it too dated? Definitely the former. I think of Donnie Darko, and Donnie/Donny is not dated to me because I never hear it in real life. Other Don I think of is Don Draper. Two characters in fairly contemporary media. So yeah, not at all dated in my opinion. Love Donovan, though like Dominic a bit more.

Milo - I met a little boy with the name at work the other day, and I think it's so cute. However, is it usable? To me, it seems kind of like a pet name, but seeing it and liking it on a little boy made me reconsider - I do see it more as a pet, but I think it works well on a person too. I also like the feminine Mila a lot.

Sasha - my love for the actress Sasha Alexander has made me consider this name. I really love girl names that end in A, and this name is simple, yet pretty, like many of my other girl names. I would like middle name suggestions for this one- LOVE LOVE LOVE Sasha. Unfortunately, I've always felt hesitant about the Sasha-Alexander connection since some would see Sasha as all-male. It's a gorgeous name and all girl to me.

Nora - I always go back and forth with this name. Some days, it's simple, pretty and sweet. Other days, it's a bit old fashioned, dated, and boring. - I pretty much feel the same way. I had an elderly English teacher named Nora and it really turned me off it. I think I'd like it more as a nickname for Eleanor or Lenore, both of which feel old-fashioned but not stuffy like Nora occasionally does.

Caela {KY-la} - I'd probably never use this one, but I did name a story character this back in the day. It means 'sky' in Latin, which I think is such pretty meaning. Of course, in Latin the 'ae' sound is pronounced like a long 'i' but in English it's pronounced like a long 'a' so there would always be the issue of mispronunciation. I guess I was just wondering if you guys see any appeal in the name, or is my taste in this name just too out there? - Mmm, I'd say it's not intuitive enough for my name. I'd guess nearly everyone reading her name for the first time would say Kay-la, mainly because that name is so popular. For me, a name's spelling always needs to be intuitive because I have one of those longish last names that is easy to say, but gets confused with a much more popular name just because people are so used to seeing the popular one. My last name is super easy and not hard to read, but I'd guess 30% or more get it wrong. Ky-la sounds pretty... and like Milo, it reminds me of Mila. Milo + Caela (Ky-la) = Mila? lol

#3 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

I do find Donny a bit dated, maybe that's just me, but it seems like out of a seventies tv show there would be a kid named Little Donny or something. Though if you love it, go for it! I do know a boy named Donovan James and everyone has called him DJ, though recently he has wanted to go by Donovan, so that might end up the case for a little Donny as well.

#4 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

My cousin has a friend who they call Donny, but I'm not sure what his full name is lol.

I absolutely LOVE Caela, as I'm a big fan of names that originate from Latin/Greek/etc, though I don't think I would ever use it, especially with the common mispronunciation <_<. So it would be more of a guilty pleasure for me.

#5 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

To me, i know 2 Finleys and they are both girls. But they are both older, 5 and 7. i also know a little girl Findlay but pn the same.

i think Finley James is great and Finn is a cute nn.

Bennett {Benny or Ben: Not something i would use but it is a nice masculine name

Cade - i much perfer this than Caden! I think Cade is really sweet and lovley

Dominic: Not my stlye. Nic is a cute nn.

Nolan - NMS, id probably use Noel.

Sawyer - i know exactly how you feel about this. something about it that i LOVE, and something that just doesnt sit right. but i think i like it more than i dont!

Donovan - personally, i think Donny is a little dated. Maybe i just need time to hear it a bit more.

Milo - itis very pet namey, (my best friends jack russel is milo) what id probably do is use Myles and have the nick name Milo.

Girls:

Sasha -LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Nora - For me it is a little too old.

Caela {KY-la}: one of my fave american gymnastis is Kyla Ross! love the name. but if i saw Caela written dosn id probably pn is KAY-LA. i love Kyla and thats also how id spell it just so its not always mis pn.

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

I love Finley!! Lately, I've just had Finn on my list. I know Mike likes Finn... but because of the Adventure Time cartoon haha. In popularity though... Finley is 364 on a girl, 511 on a boy :( So sad! However, Finn is 304 on a boy, and not on the list for girls! :) I definitely prefer Finley on a boy though<3 Sad its being used on girls.. its so masculine! </3

Finley Peter
Finley George
Finley Jacob
Finley Breccan
Finley Warren
Finley Oliver
Finley Nathan

I love Bennett as well! Nick name Benny/Ben<3 Handsome and more soft than Benjamin!

Honestly, I've been thinking a lot of Cade as a name on its own as well! I don't like how it'd sound with Mikes last name, but its currently on my guilty pleasures list! Strangely enough, I almost like it on a girl as well. Cade/Cadie I guess.

Dominic is just one of those names I have a strange disliking for. I've really disliked it ever since I was little, no particular reason why though! Dominique as well! Which is funny, because I always admired the gymnast Dominique Dawes. Just really disliked her name.

I knew a Nolan when I was in Girl Scouts, my friends little brother would come in and his name was Nolan. I think its nice, though nothing really stuck out about it to me personally. Jacob Nolan is handsome though! Nolan Jacob would sound very nice though, if you prefer it. I think it all depends on the last name as to how well Nolan Jacob / Jacob Nolan would flow. Honestly on its own it flows fine either way <3

Sawyer.. I'm on the fence with it. I can't really imagine calling someone by it. I guess if I meet a Sawyer it'll change.. but when I say it out loud it just comes off awkward. In my mind I imagine it to be attractive, but I say it and don't care for it. Like, I end up saying soy- yurr which just sounds awkward, so I change it to saw- yarr which sounds more like "saw your wood" or something idk. I probably sound weird here haha

Last names are totally in style right now, so Donovan would fit in with all other kids running around. I dislike it from personal association, but its okay otherwise. It definitely suits your more Irish style.

I always think "Milo and Otis" when I hear Milo, but I love it anyway!! Its very upbeat and energetic with that O in there I think! Miles is a nice alternative, very traditional and such. But I just think Milo is a little more fun. I can actually imagine myself using Milo if I didn't love so many other boys names more!

I used to like Sasha a lot, but now I'm just okay with it. Its a lovely name, but not me anymore.

Nora I liked, but I definitely get a "dated" feel from it. Not necessary old fashioned though. Like when I hear Nora, I think more of a woman my mothers age.. I feel like it fits in with the Pamela's and Susan's and Barbara's and such of my mothers time. I imagine a mother who in her time was quite attractive and popular, but now is a mother to a 17/18 year old child. Idk :) I guess its nice as a nick name for like Eleanora or such. But personally, I just don't care for it so much.

Honestly, I think Caela looks so gorgeous!! I wanted to have Caela on my list, but I know it'd just be such the pain to spell out all the time. So I resort to Cayla. However, I would definitely say cay-la when seeing Caela. Cyla or Kyla would look more like that pronunciation. Or potentially Kaila or Caila, though those probably would have some issues as well. I definitely see where you find the appeal- its gorgeous! I think it'd make a great guilty pleasure name :)

#7 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

What do you guys think of the combo Sasha Nadine (NAY-deen, not nuh-DEEN)?

#8 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

What do you guys think of the combo Sasha Nadine (NAY-deen, not nuh-DEEN)?

I love it!

#9 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

It's okay, I love Sasha but Nadine isn't my style. Good combo though! <3

#10 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Just want to say thanks for all your feedback. I like Finley Jacob - thanks Haddie :]

Also, just came up with the combo Sasha Naomi (NAY-oh-mee, not NIE-oh-mee). Which do you like better - Sasha Nadine or Sasha Naomi? Any other suggestions?

#11 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Your welcome :) i love Finley Jacob!!

Aww Sasha Naomi is adorable! <3 i like!

Sasha Mabel
Sasha Elise
Sasha Penelope
Sasha Rosalind
Sasha Delia

Short, but hope it helps :)

#12 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer