Photo

Popular names you can't stand, for personal reasons.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

I don't know if this is just me, or what...
But if I meet a person, and I can't stand them. Their name is completely compromised for me.
Even if I loved the name before I met the person, I will hate said name until the day I die (Depending on the Jerk-ocity of the person of course.)
But when that name is popular and you see/hear it everywhere. It just makes everything worse.

Are there any popular names you can't stand because some butt has ruined them for you???
I'm just curious.

Like the name Jace. I literally make a gagging noise every time I hear it or see it. I can never say it without shuddering. Which esspecially on this website is hard. Because it seems like everybody and their dog are naming their sons Jace.
- What is the appeal? From someone who doesn't hate the name. I honestly want to know.

I'm sure there are other names, but Jace takes the cake.
And now I have got to stop writing the name. So please... Share your opinions? Names you can never use because of someone in your life.

And if I offended someone I'm sorry. Just my personal opinion on the name.
And if I posted this in the wrong place, I'm sorry again. :) I'm horrible at choosing where to put things.

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

I totally understand, actually! Every time I hear the name James... I shutter :L But I had a horrible experience with a guy named James, so every time I hear the name I get mental pictures of the incident and it just ruins it for me :L I used to really like it as well, but now... ehhk :) Same with the name John.. But John's worse than James for me, cause only one James I had a big problem with, even if I disliked other James's. But John's... every one I meet seems to be negative bunch of Johns! :) But every time I meet anyone with these names... it ruins my thoughts of the person. Also Luke... and Jeff. I feel so terrible for judging people based on their names.. cause there are millions of James's and John's that aren't horrible, it's just the association to the names in my mind </3

So yeah, James, Luke, Jeff and John :) There may be others, but those two stick out in my mind. Its sad, cause I used to like the name James. And I have a cousin with middle name James.. and still every time I hear his middle name called out I twitch :D Oh well....

And same here! I so hope nothing I said above offended anyone!!! :)

#3 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Talon amd Miles have been totally ruined for me. I dated guys with those names and the level of douchebaggery totally ruined both names. Between the two of them they managed to ruin Gabriel, Scott and the nn Tony for me.

#4 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

Hey Shay! I couldn't stay away from this site...

Well, I know a really hot country singer named Jace Everett, and I guess that's my association. And it's positive. :)

But, the name Carolyne (especially this spelling) makes me feel the same way. There was a girl named Carolyne who terrorized me in high school (dated two of my exes at the same time, took me out to lunch to tell me how much she hated me...). She was just crazy and it ruined the name Carolyne/Caroline/Carolina for me. =/

EDIT: Oh, and Benjamin. An ex of mine who I had horrible experiences with. What's funny is that none of my other ex's names (Andrew/James, Justin, Raphael, Adam) are completely ruined like Benjamin is. And I wish it wasn't, because of my love for the band Breaking Benjamin.

#5 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

I don't really see the Jace's appeal, either... but I guess I don't hate it.

There are a lot of girl names that have negative associations for me... not as many boy names, for whatever reason. Many times, I veto perfectly good names just because I've met someone I didn't like with that name!

#6 JennyB

JennyB

Superstar Baby Namer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

I once heard someone say that they "redeemed" a name that a friend hated! Now, when their child's name is said, the friend has a positive feeling about the name that is beginning to drown out the negative from the past. I guess it's risky, though, depending on the level of hatred or anger against the person from the past! My sister-in-law married a Jeremy, a great guy, which has replaced my negative feelings about the name after a horrible dating experience in high school!

#7 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Wow. I completley forgot about my ex's Haha. :)

I used to LOOOVE the name Max. But now thanks to my most recent Ex, I hate it. And Matt, uuuug. :/ Don't even get me started on that one. :P Anyway there were more in between those that made me hate the names. But no need to bring up every name. :) Haha.

Haddie: Oh no! You dislike my entire favorite name! Haha. Sorry. :P (Lucas James "Luke" By the way) I think my mother would smack me if I hated the name James, it was her dads name and she really misses him & loves him. <3

Erin: (P.S. I haven't talked to you. But I am like 90 percent sure your name is Erin... I hope it is or else I'll just seem like a total idiot) That sucks! The only Talon I knew was a girl. But she didn't 'ruin' the name... But she didn't make me love it either. Haha.

Raven: Yay! You came back! Haha. Now I seem like a creeper considering we have never talked. :) That's okay. I'm good at being a creeper. Yeah... Still can't even google that guy. Want too.... But I honestly can't even type the name anymore. :P Haha.
She took you out to lunch to tell you how much she hated you...? That's rude.

Meghan: Haha! Obviously I do that all the time too. :D

VothJ: That's good. Maybe someone can do that with the evil name I will no longer type. I mean, the little boy on Teen Mom 2 named that name is sooo cute! <3 But I still shudder when I hear his name. :/
That's good! I dated a Jeremy too. :/ At least there's ONE good one. :) Haha.

#8 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

Raven: Yay! You came back! Haha. Now I seem like a creeper considering we have never talked. :) That's okay. I'm good at being a creeper. Yeah... Still can't even google that guy. Want too.... But I honestly can't even type the name anymore. :) Haha.
She took you out to lunch to tell you how much she hated you...? That's rude.

Hey, it's not creepy. I was actually really upset and you made me feel a lot better! (: So thank you!

Yeah, exes. Those ones get you...and I've been searching for a first for Keats, and I really like Benjamin Keats, but that would just be wrong, wrong, wrong! Jon would not stand for that, he hates Ben more than I do! Haha!

Here, I'll show you a picture of him:
(You can just call him Everett!)
He sings "Bad Things," the theme song for True Blood. The song is SO hot.

Posted Image

Ok, his voice just makes him hotter...haha!

#9 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

THANKS SHAY, GLAD TO KNOW YOU HATE MY NAME XD JK, no hard feelins

Ummmmmm, Phillip and Elliott. I don't hate Elliott as much as a used to since its my nephews middle name, but I just hate the name Phillip!

#10 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

[size=3]
Erin: (P.S. I haven't talked to you. But I am like 90 percent sure your name is Erin... I hope it is or else I'll just seem like a total idiot) That sucks! The only Talon I knew was a girl. But she didn't 'ruin' the name... But she didn't make me love it either. Haha.
size]

Yep, my name's Erin.
And yea, this guy was an arse. He actually broke the right side of my rib cage one day. He was a huge dbag. Miles was just as bad but we were friends for a long time and before we dated he had done a lot for me so his name is better than Talon (for me at least).

#11 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hey, it's not creepy. I was actually really upset and you made me feel a lot better! (: So thank you!

Yeah, exes. Those ones get you...and I've been searching for a first for Keats, and I really like Benjamin Keats, but that would just be wrong, wrong, wrong! Jon would not stand for that, he hates Ben more than I do! Haha!

Here, I'll show you a picture of him:
(You can just call him Everett!)
He sings "Bad Things," the theme song for True Blood. The song is SO hot.

Posted Image

Ok, his voice just makes him hotter...haha!

Oh! :) You're very welcome. :)

Awww. Benjamin Keats is nice though. But I know what you mean. Haha.

I will call him Everett! Haha. and I'll listen to the song right now! Although I know I've heard it before. :)

#12 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

THANKS SHAY, GLAD TO KNOW YOU HATE MY NAME XD JK, no hard feelins

Ummmmmm, Phillip and Elliott. I don't hate Elliott as much as a used to since its my nephews middle name, but I just hate the name Phillip!

Haha! Sorry. But there is a reason I call you JAY. :) Plus I hated him long before you changed your name. You were still Jaymey back then. :)

Haha. Phillip is my dads name.
That's good. :) Elliott is a nice name. Although I like Elliot better. :D

#13 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Yep, my name's Erin.
And yea, this guy was an arse. He actually broke the right side of my rib cage one day. He was a huge dbag. Miles was just as bad but we were friends for a long time and before we dated he had done a lot for me so his name is better than Talon (for me at least).

Good. :) I was hoping I didn't call you the wrong name.

That's so mean! No doubt you'd hate the name Talon then. :/ The jerks of this world suck. Obviously.

#14 Athena_P

Athena_P

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

Oh, I have a few of these.
Ian. My ex. We hate him.
Lots of ex-friends... Mikayla, Amber, Haley, Becca...
I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any.
And one that's not for personal reasons is Ava. I just really don't like that name.

#15 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Oh, I have a few of these.
Ian. My ex. We hate him.
I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any.
And one that's not for personal reasons is Ava. I just really don't like that name.

Of course Ian is a give in. Stupid. Even I hate the name. :/
Ex-Friends are the worst. The name Kyra makes me shudder. :/ Ick.

Ava was my favorite name for like.. a week. :) Haha.

#16 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

Of course Ian is a give in. Stupid. Even I hate the name. :/
Ex-Friends are the worst. The name Kyra makes me shudder. :/ Ick.

Ava was my favorite name for like.. a week. :) Haha.

Kyra is my sister's name. :)

There are a lot of b-word girls that ruined their names for me, though. One is Gabriella nn Gabi, and another is Katelyn. But I just don't like them.

#17 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

I totally understand, actually! Every time I hear the name James... I shutter :L But I had a horrible experience with a guy named James, so every time I hear the name I get mental pictures of the incident and it just ruins it for me :L I used to really like it as well, but now... ehhk :) Same with the name John.. But John's worse than James for me, cause only one James I had a big problem with, even if I disliked other James's. But John's... every one I meet seems to be negative bunch of Johns! :) But every time I meet anyone with these names... it ruins my thoughts of the person. Also Luke... and Jeff. I feel so terrible for judging people based on their names.. cause there are millions of James's and John's that aren't horrible, it's just the association to the names in my mind </3

Remy Hadley, you should meet my Jon (though I guess he's a Jonathan, not a John). He's a darling and would totally fix the name for you. Haha! :)

#18 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

Ian. My ex. We hate him.

I seriously hate the name Ian, not just because of Ian, it just sounds, YECK. lol. And Becca is your name in my book XD

#19 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

Kyra is my sister's name. :)

Haha Oooops. :) Sorry!!!

#20 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Good. :) I was hoping I didn't call you the wrong name.

That's so mean! No doubt you'd hate the name Talon then. :/ The jerks of this world suck. Obviously.

I answer to just about anything so it's all good. Yea, my current bf/whatever ya wanna call him hates them both. Miles would get the brunt of it because he did the worse damage (physical & mental). Talon was just, annoying. However, the one I hate the most, is Talon. Miles is a complicated situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users