3 replies to this topic

#1 garnerash

garnerash

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Hello,
I'm expecting a baby girl in the spring. My husband's name is William and we'd like to name our baby Willie. Do you think she'll hate us? Will this be a difficult name to carry? We'd like to add a very feminine middle name such as Alexandra or Kate. Kay is used often in my family so Willie Kay might work.
Thanks.

#2 Bunko0

Bunko0

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Willie has a pretty long history as a feminine name. I think it would work. You could also name her Willemina/Wilhelmina (nn Willie?) or just Willa.

#3 Sunny Mummy! :)

Sunny Mummy! :)

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my beloved family, singing, dancing, writing (I have more than 10 novels on the go but never get the mind space time to finish any of them!), art, reading, spending quality time with Loved Ones, cooking (especially baking when I get the time), being outdoors in Nature enjoying God's GLORIOUS Creation (Bush walking, gardening etc), and... BABY NAMES have ALWAYS been an obsession for me!! :D

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

May I suggest Willa or Willow, which are both gorgeous and can easily have the nickname Willie! The reason I say this is that one of my close friends had a long term Girlfriend called Willie (which in Australia is a word used to describe a male appendage) and she was REALLY hung up about being called Willie. She made rude jokes about herself whenever she introduced herself to cover her embarrassment and did strange things like signing Christmas Cards "From P___ and his Willie!" Her name ended up affecting her so much that as I understand it it ended their relationship! I very rarely speak against any name but I just felt that you should know how much the name Willie affected one woman's life. Please forgive me if I have offended you, that was NOT my intention.

#4 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

I agree with SunnyMummy, the name Willie has connotations that could lead to a lot of teasing in your baby girl's life. I love the suggestion of Wilhelmina nn Willie, it just gives her something to fall back on, and she'll have a full name which she can choose to go by if the teasing starts. Wilhelmina also has the option of Mina as a nn, or even Minnie, so it would give your baby girl some choices about who she wants to be. Wilhelmina Kay is pretty, as is Willow Alexandra. I hope you find the perfect name for your daughter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users