I can't decide on a girl's name!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

We're having a baby girl in April and we've narrowed the list down to a selection of names. My husband basically wants me to choose as I seem to have problems with every name haha!
Which names do you prefer and why?

Ella - We live in Spain so it would mean she/her and they might pronounce it "eya"
Grace - Can't shake the feeling it sounds religious
Abigail - Another one with a religious origin (I'm not religious at all haha)
Evelyn - my husband likes it but I had a great aunt with that name so it sounds old to me
Astrid - my name is Ingrid and I love my name but my husband says it's too similar
Charlotte - my husband likes it, I don't like the nicknames for it or its translation to Carlota
Scarlett - my husband likes it, my family hates it
Gwendolen - I like Welsh names because of my origin but my husband thinks they're weird

#2 Kaiko

Kaiko

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

I like the name Evelyn-nickname Evie?
Abigail is cute but I prefer it spelled Abbigayle
Astrid sounds beautiful as well
Maybe use Grace or Charlotte for a middle name
Abbigayle Grace is sweet

#3 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

We're having a baby girl in April and we've narrowed the list down to a selection of names. My husband basically wants me to choose as I seem to have problems with every name haha!
Which names do you prefer and why?

Ella - We live in Spain so it would mean she/her and they might pronounce it "eya"
Grace - Can't shake the feeling it sounds religious
Abigail - Another one with a religious origin (I'm not religious at all haha)
Evelyn - my husband likes it but I had a great aunt with that name so it sounds old to me
Astrid - my name is Ingrid and I love my name but my husband says it's too similar
Charlotte - my husband likes it, I don't like the nicknames for it or its translation to Carlota
Scarlett - my husband likes it, my family hates it
Gwendolen - I like Welsh names because of my origin but my husband thinks they're weird

Ella - Not a fan.  It's boring and I get how you feel about its Spanish pronunciation and the meaning.  Maybe Estrella/Esther?  I know Estrella has the same sound at the end, but it sounds nicer to me than just Ella.  Elisa/Eliza may work for you as well.

Grace - Don't care for the sound of it.  Sounds almost like I'm saying "grease".  Maybe Anja/Anya, Anneliese/Annalisa, Hania, or Gianna if you're looking for a name that means "grace" or something along that line.

Abigail - Classic and pretty (I'm not religious either.  I don't think this one is too obviously associated with religion). 

Evelyn - Beautiful.  Love the nickname Evie.

Astrid - I didn't like this one until recently, but it's growing on me.  I like that it's similar to your name but not too much.

Charlotte - I feel the same as you about the nicknames.  I especially hate the trend of naming girls Charlie.  I also dislike that it rhymes with a certain word that's not very nice.

Scarlett - Not a fan.  Rhymes with Charlotte and that rude word I just mentioned.

Gwendolen - Okay, but I prefer just Gwen.

My top 3 are Abigail, Evelyn, and Astrid.

#4 sjhanks

sjhanks

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:27 AM

- Ella - I think if you weren't in a Spanish-speaking country it would be lovely, but I think I would hate my name to be a pronoun.
- Grace - this is a pretty name, but I also think it's a bit plain
- Abigail - This has never been a favorite of mine, but its growing on me a bit
- Evelyn - I think this is a lovely name. It is a bit old fashioned, but it's making a comeback
- Astrid - I had a friend named Astrid and always thought her name was very unique, but I think Astrid and Ingrid may be a bit much
- Charlotte - I think this one is very pretty, but I'm with you on not liking Carlotta. If she will certainly get called that, I'd say this is a no-go
- Scarlett - If your family hating it is a deal-breaker then this one may be off the table, but personally I really like it
- Gwendolen - I don't really care for this one too much, but Gwen does make a cute nickname.

Of these names, my favorites are Evelyn and Scarlett, but they don't seem to be quite what you're looking for if you think Evelyn is too old and your family hates Scarlett. So even though it's not my personal favorite, I vote Abigail. You could also include a few of these for a middle name and they would sound nice, like Abigail Grace or Abigail Charlotte.

#5 Drakeford

Drakeford

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

I think Ella is both a classic and still sounds very modern. Plus it's very girly.

#6 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

I agree Abigail works well. The religious association isn't really that strong (I don't think) if that is bothering you. Abigail Grace
Abigail Charlotte
Abigail Astrid
Abigail Scarlett
Good luck!

#7 Blessedmomx7

Blessedmomx7

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

I like Abigail!

0 user(s) are reading this topic