• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

No one can deny that unisex names, like Logan, Ryan, Madison, Reagan etc, are on the rise. But what are your feelings on boys names on girls? Are there certain names that should be off limits? Or is every name up for grabs?

#2 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

I think every name should be up for grabs! I love Blake and Elliot on girls, as well as most other boys names (unisex, really) on girls...I even like some more "feminene" names on boys, though they were originally used on boys such as Kelly and Carey and whatnot.

#3 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Well, one of my favorite girl names is actually a unisex name. It's Hadley. I loooove it on a girl. It really goes back and forth with me. Sometimes when I talk about boys names on girls and girl names on boys, I kind of sound hypocritical because I can change my mind so fast...

But, for the most part, I think it depends, really. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE NAME DALLAS ON GIRLS. No exceptions. But, when I was younger, I met a little girl and her name was Jake, no joke. It wasn't a nickname or anything, it was her actually name. And, I thought the name fit her soooo well!

So, I think it just depends.

#4 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

For the most part I really don't care for unisex names. Jake and Austin are my two favorite boys' names in the world and the thought of either of them on a little girl pretty much makes me cringe! Another one that I can't stand to hear on a girl is Hayden -- my youngest male cousin is twenty-one and named this, and he just makes the name so masculine and handsome that I hate hearing it used for a little girl.

In the end it's all about personal preference, just like everything else. It's really just not my style.

#5 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

I don't really like boys' names on girls (I'm sure you US people will disagree, but I find Ashley very much male), it feels as if the parents were desperately hoping for a boy or couldn't be bothered to come up with a girls' name they liked. However, there are a few names, like Morgan or Kelly, that I like on either sex.

#6 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

It really goes back and forth with me. Sometimes when I talk about boys names on girls and girl names on boys, I kind of sound hypocritical because I can change my mind so fast...
So, I think it just depends.

The same thing happens to me, I'm always changing my mind. I agree that it depends on the name.

Something I've realized is that it also depends on the context in which I hear the name, like movies or TV shows. Taylor, Kennedy, Blair, Leighton, Alexis, Addison, Elliott are names that I associate with female TV characters or with actresses, so they are feminine to me. While Logan, Ashton, Hayden, Ryan are masculine names because I associate them with masculine characters or actors.

There are also some names that sound very masculine and strong when used on a boy, and at the same time can be cute when used on a girl, like Piper or Sailor.

Anyway, we have to take into account that many of the names that nowadays are considered only feminine were also used on boys around 1900: Helen, Margaret, Anna, Ethel, Rose, Elizabeth, Lillian, Alice, Emma, Beatrice, Josephine. And some masculine names were used on girls: Joseph, Elmer, Clifford, Frank.

This is the link to the SSA in which you can search for the popularity of a name throughout the years:
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

So, who are we to judge? Maybe in a hundred years Isabella and Emily will be masculine and Jacob and Christopher will be feminine names. I believe that anyone is entitled to give their children a name they love and consider special, as long as it's not something offensive or something that will make the child suffer.

#7 Lish4042

Lish4042

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

I dislike boys names on girls. When a teacher gets a list of students I don't want them to have to guess if my child is a boy or a girl.

#8 babybear

babybear

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

I dislike boys names on girls. When a teacher gets a list of students I don't want them to have to guess if my child is a boy or a girl.

I like some names on girls like Riley is okay,

I kinda like Jonah for a girl

but i dont like Parker on a girl

#9 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:polka dots, strawberries, comfortable clothes, chocolate, good music, baby things, working with kids, blogging, my friends

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

I like some names on girls like Riley is okay,

I kinda like Jonah for a girl

but i dont like Parker on a girl

I like Aidan for a girl a LOT. I also like Parker for a girl. I don't like Dallas or Houston on a girl (UCK!)
Kelly or Carey on a boy sounds gay to me

#10 Becky

Becky

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Being a mommy to Aria and Lucia (and soon our little Cara)!!!

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:59 AM

I don't care for most boy names on girls. Especially not Ryan. That's my nephew's name and I just can't see it on a girl. I guess there are some that are okay, but most I don't like. I like for girls to have feminine names (like my daughters Aria and Lucia). I think girl's names should be pretty and elegant and boy's names should be strong and sturdy.

#11 keltria

keltria

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

I also think there are some that are okay on girls. I like Blake, Sloane, Blair, and Justice for both boys and girls. I really dislike the name Riley on girls, because Riley is one of my favorite boy names. I also like a lot of more feminine girls names with masculine nicknames. Danielle (Dani), Samantha/Samira (Sam), Charlotte (Charli), and Lorelei/Aurora (Rory) are just a few. And I agree that Ashley is very masculine.

#12 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

I also think there are some that are okay on girls. I like Blake, Sloane, Blair, and Justice for both boys and girls. I really dislike the name Riley on girls, because Riley is one of my favorite boy names. I also like a lot of more feminine girls names with masculine nicknames. Danielle (Dani), Samantha/Samira (Sam), Charlotte (Charli), and Lorelei/Aurora (Rory) are just a few. And I agree that Ashley is very masculine.

I do like to have feminine first names and masculine nick names...And not solely on the fact that my name is Danielle and I go by Danni, but because I understand why it is better because I do have that. It gives your child the choice to have a girly name or a unisex name. That way no one can get mad at you for naming your daughter "Danni"...It wasn't my idea, it was hers! lol!

#13 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

I'm also a big fan of feminine first names with more masculine nicknames! I have an aunt named Danielle and I've always called her Aunt Dani -- she's as girly as can be, but somehow Dani just "fits" her better. The nickname Sam on a girl has always been a favorite of mine, too :)

#14 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

There are some names like Erin & Morgan that I just prefer on girls. But the moment someone names they're daughter Parker or their son Sage, I'm so glad they're not in charge of naming my kids. It's just not my style. As Danni & Charity both said, I feel it's better to give her a girlie full name that you can use a masculine nickname for, if it ends up fitting your daughter.

#15 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

or their son Sage

I actually like Sage for a boy :)

#16 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

I actually like Sage por a boy :)

I've actually never heard it on anything but a little boy!

#17 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

Really?! Maybe it's an East Coast thing. I have a friend that lives in Manhattan and her daughter's name is Sage. I've just always associated it with little girls ever since.

#18 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

Really?! Maybe it's an East Coast thing. I have a friend that lives in Manhattan and her daughter's name is Sage. I've just always associated it with little girls ever since.

#19 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

Really! And actually, the regional differences really might have something to do with it. I never really understood why names like Emily were considered to so overused and popular: the most common girl names here seem to be variations of Britney and Jessica. I think in my graduating class there were nine Britneys and five or so Jessicas :)

#20 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

When Fiona, Mom & I came back from England, we lived in Boston, MA until Jack was transferred to Philadelphia and we all moved to Jersey. In my high school graduating class there were like 7 or 8 Jennifers, and like 5 Jessicas and Michelles. Those were all the big names around us. Fi & I certainly had names that stood out around here, but not in Boston. We lived in a very Irish neighborhood, so there were several Caitlins, Connors, Collins, Calebs, Bridgets, etc. So maybe there is something to the regional differences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users