• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jessica J

Jessica J

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Worship, singing, writing songs, being with friends and loved ones, reading, and watching movies.

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

Why do you think that people choose boy names for their little girls? Is it that they were really wishing for a little boy or is it that they don't like names meant for girls or is it that they couldn't find a girls name they liked out of the millions??? My thinking is that, in most cases, the mother or father wanted a boy. The only problem is, what if they grow up with insecurities about the name or they get picked on because of the name? If you are a mother or know a mother that has given or wants to give their little girl a boy name, please give your thoughts on this issue. I am very curious :unsure:

#2 KristaDeanne

KristaDeanne

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

I believe that some people just do not like girly sounding names. IMO, its simply a perogative unique to the individual. I can't imagine it having anything to do with wishing for a child oppositte of the sex that you birthed. No matter what you name the child, it's still a girl/boy.

#3 Sprinkles

Sprinkles

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

I agree with KristaDeanne. I don't think it has to do with the parents wanting a child of the opposite sex, I think they just like those type of names. Some parents of girls hate pink, frilly clothing so they won't dress their daughters in anything extremely feminine. I think the same goes with names...some people just don't like the sound of more traditional female names. I don't know about the child being picked on though, I think it would depend on where you live. There are such a wide variety of names out there today, I think kids are a little more used to unisex names or boys names on girls.

#4 Liz88

Liz88

Baby Namer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:I love spending time with my children and my husband. I don't get to volunteer as much as I would like to in my kids' schools now that I'm having twins but I would like to once I have them.<br />I like to garden, scrapbook, knit, and go to the beach.<br />I'm currently working on getting a blog...I'll update you on that later :D

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

I know some parents who were named really girly names and they turned out tomboyish [if that's a word :D], so when they became parents they named their daughter something unisex or boyish to give them some leeway in terms of "girlyness".

I don't know if that's how anybody else does it, but I gave my daughters names that are flexible enough to be either girly girl or soccer-playing, mud-loving sports fans, which is probably good since I have one of each!

Also, some parents just like those names...it's personal preference.

#5 Cadence & Nathan

Cadence & Nathan

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

I think its just the style some people like. I was never a girly girl (therefore I became a drummer :unsure: ) and I think that has to do with naming. I love "boyish" names on girls. I think its sort of girly in its own way. Its a different kind of style (like not girly, not tomboyish, but cutesie but with an edge...if that makes any sense at all) lol That's just my reasoning!

#6 Jessica J

Jessica J

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Worship, singing, writing songs, being with friends and loved ones, reading, and watching movies.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

On the other hand, their are millions of girl names out there that aren't girly-girly but sophisticated and strong. I just think that parents naming their little girl names like Dylan and Ryan and Payton and Jayden are just risking their daughters developing insecurities and really aren't thinking of how their children may feel about it. They just want a name that sounds good to THEM. I think that its kinda selfish. And I know that saying this is going to make someone angry but really.... you couldn't find one girls name?Some unisex names are all right but there is a fine line. Kids have enough problems growing up as it is. Also, think about the boys growing up having to deal with puberty and on top of that feeling insecure because there are like 3 girls in their school with their name. It takes something away from their masculinity. You don't see people naming their little boys girl names because they dont want their little boys seeming feminine. Why would you want your little girl seeming masculine? If they want to be masculine that is their choice but you shouldn't push it on them. We'll see what happens in the future but I think that it is getting a little out of hand and it does seem that most of the people who name their child boyish names do not have a boy which leads me to believe that maybe, without knowing, they name their little girl Tommy because they really wanted a boy. Just my opinion but think about going through high school and the guys walking down the hall screaming " Hey Tommy, wanna go get a lap dance with us this weekend?" Think it won't happen?

#7 KristaDeanne

KristaDeanne

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

I disagree with you on this one Jessica J. If a child developes insecurities I don't think it will be because of a name that they were given, still waters run a little deeper than that. If the child hates the name they can go by a NN or an alternate version of their given name. There are more serious problems than a name if a child is developing insecurities. I also do not believe parents are being "selfish" when naming their children names that they are fond of. Unless you're naming your child Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious or somethign equally as "unique" (more appropriate words can fit easily here but i do not want to offend anyone), I don't believe being selfish is an issue. I don't think any one person can draw a line in the sand and say, "okay, some unisex names are fine but others are not." Its the personal opinion of the people naming the baby. I don't think boys are running around feeling emasculated because they share their name with a girl. And I don't think having a boys name would make a female feel masculine. One of the buggest female bullies I went to school with was named Kassity. Her feminine name didn't hold her back by any means!! I also went to school with a girl named Ryan and she was in no way masculine but quite beautiful. Anyway, this is JUST MY OPINION and by God everyone is entitled to one!!! lol :unsure:

#8 Jessica J

Jessica J

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:16 AM

That's true :unsure:

#9 Cadence & Nathan

Cadence & Nathan

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

I also agree that insecurities run way deeper than a name. Nathan's sister's name is Loganne, and she is the most confident, secure person I know. She is also very beautiful. All of his siblings are very confident and secure with themselves. I think security and confidence has to do more with the environment and what you grew up with. Come to think of it, almost all of Nathan's sisters have "boy" names. He has 5 sisters (Logynne, Ryanne, Kaydyn, Devyn, Kamryn) and 2 brothers (Tallyn, Kieryn). Everyone in his family has a 'y' in their name except Nathan. That's just one of many examples, and I'm not saying that I'm right. I'm just putting in my two cents. lol :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users