• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Writer63

Writer63

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

I'm not having a baby, but I do want to be an author. I'm having trouble deciding on names for my main 3 characters. I have two of them down, but the last one , the main character, is hard.
The other male is named Sawyer, he is a carpenter.
The female in the group is a thief and a mage. Her name is Emalyn, which won't be revealed until later in the story.
The main male is hard. He's going to be a former soldier with PTSD, probably, who's just wandered into a world that he never knew existed (this is a fantasy novel, by the way.) His name was originally going to be Elias, but I recently read a book where the character's name was Elias, and he was also a soldier. I want to be different.
The story is going to be based off Arthuranian mythology. While I'm not married to a name found in the legend, I would like it to be English in origin. Maybe Welsh, Irish, or Scottish.
Thanks!

#2 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Acting, Dancing, Writing, Names, Event Planning, Hiking, Fitness, Cooking, Baking, and Exploring new things!

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

Welsh names:

Rhys

Emrys-It's a little close to Emalyn, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway

Bryn

Cai-comes from King Arthur stories

Celyn

Elis-the Welsh form of Elias

Edwyn

Mabon-Celtic god of youth

Macsen

Morgan

Rhydian

Steffan

For a complete alphabetical list visit: http://www.welshboysnames.co.uk/

Scottish names:

Alec

Brodie

Callum

Camden

Duncan

Edan

Kester

Lachlan

Lennox

Scott

For a complete alphabetical list visit: http://www.scottishboysnames.co.uk/ 

Irish names:

Aedan

Cian/Kian

Dalaigh/Daley/Daly

Malachi

Niall

Riordan

Ronan

Ruari

Seamus

Sean

Tierney

For a complete alphabetical list visit:http://www.babynamesofireland.com/irish-boy-names  

Like any of these?

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Do you know what time period your soldier would be from. Is he a WWII soldier or more modern day? That can help you figure out what would have been common or what would fit in during that period.

I really like the suggestion of Duncan, reminds me of The Secret Garden. Also...Alistor, Brennan, Lawson, Maverick, Rafe, Stephen, Thomas, Tavish, Vaughn

#4 AshleyJacksonLuvsYou

AshleyJacksonLuvsYou

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

You could use the Welsh name Cadell, which means 'battle'. It's an interesting name, and I've never heard it used in a book before. It seemed odd to me at first, but it has grown on me. You could also use the name Colin. It's a Celtic name from Scotland, it's pronounced Kaw-Lin (which I found interesting), and it means 'victory of the people'. It's looks kind of plain though. I think Cadell would work well with your fantasy theme.

#5 Monsters_girl27

Monsters_girl27

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:I like taking important names and writing the letters of each name out and making a new name out of the letters... that way they represent each one of the family members

Example:
    Names:April May June July august
    Letters:Aaaegijjllmnprstuuuuyy
    New name: Amaya jenyl

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:06 PM

I like a few

(My personal favorite)Cadogan- I believe it means battle glory or something similar

Alistor

Callum

#6 pinkmonkey23

pinkmonkey23

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Names ⌇ My children ⌇ Supernatural ⌇ I-Zombie ⌇ Lucifer ⌇ Arrowverse ⌇ Jane the virgin ⌇ The Originals ⌇ The Vampire Diaries [Before it ended]

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:27 AM

Welsh names-

Caerwyn

Deiniol [welsh form of Daniel]

Delwyn

Gethin

Geraint

Hywel/ Howell

Ianto

Aneirin/ Aneurin

Osian

Rhodri