5 replies to this topic

#1 Camellia

Camellia

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I was browsing baby name sights, and I came up on the name Penrose. I'm not sure if I like it enough to use it as a first name (although Pen would be an adorable nn :wub:) but I do think it could make a cool middle. I've been secretly crushing on Primrose, but don't like the obvious Hunger Games connection. It's a great book/movie, but I wouldn't want people to only think of that when I told them my kid's name.
Anyway. Penrose; what do you think?

#2 Puppylover12397

Puppylover12397

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I think it's a rather interesting name, nice and gives both a femmine nature, with a slight dash of a sort of masculine curiosity toit. I would however subject it to a GP or middle name slot and not a first name position for a fear of kids making fun of it and a general sort of oddity in the name in my opinion at least.

#3 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

Penrose sounds like a surname to me, but I can definitely see the appeal. Penny Rose could also be an alternative, but it doesn't have the same elegance that Penrose does.

As for Primrose, I prefer it. It's gorgeous and, I frankly, do not associate it with THG.

Just like I don't Madge, Cecilia, Johanna or Rory. Or even Romulus, Cressida, Polux, Castor etc.

The Hunger Games reference will die down eventually.

• Remy Hadley likes this

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Penrose is nice, or a cute nick name for Penelope-Rose? :) Its got a surname feel to it I think. I like the nick name Pen / Penny, its cute.

Though I agree that I love Primrose!! Its way cute <3 I don't associate it with the Hunger Games either. I mean, I watched the movie, read the books, and I did enjoy it and all.. but when I hear it I just think nature name. If you used Katniss I'd definitely think THG, but not Primrose (or any of the names Yas mentioned above really). I've been considering Cato - which yes I discovered in that book, but still not associated to it in my mind. Its ancient Roman, and I love those sorts of names in general.

And as mentioned, the association will die down eventually. I guess there will always be those nuts who don't forget, but for the most part people will <3 Especially if your not expecting right now I wouldn't worry about it :)

#5 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I have to agree with the previous posters... I personally would use it only as a GP or middle name. It does sound a bit like a surname to me, too. And I like Remy's suggestion of Penrose as a nickname for Penelope Rose! ^_^

#6 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I actually really like it. It is very similar to Primrose so it has a similar feel. I think Primrose has more of a feminine feel to it where Penrose is more spunky like Penelope. I also like that it has some great nickname potential: Penny, Rose, Rosie. :) I also think it would be an adorable nickname for Penelope Rose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users