38 replies to this topic

#1 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

I am going to try and update this every day with a new unusual name and a little about its origin and meaning.

-2/14/11-
Boy Name

Lugh
Irish: /lug/ Means "Shining one."
In Irish mythology, Lug was an Irish god and High King, he was the equivilant of the pan-Celtic god Lugus,
the Gallo-Roman god Mercury, and the Welsh god Lleu Llaw Gyffes.
His name is ultimatley of the indoeuropean root word leuk meaning "brightness."
Luíseach /LEE shock/ is the feminine form of Lugh.

Girl Name

Trudeliese
German: /TRAH dah layz/ Another named created from combining two names;
This name contains the element Liese "God is perfection, God is my oath"
and Trude "strength, spear, power; whole, universal; whole strength, wholly beloved."

Name Bank
Boys
Ahren, Amon, Atley, Chander, Gervaise, Howlan, Inigo, Meilyr, Novak, Ram, Rayner, Seaward, Shadrach
Girls
Adorabelle, Aricelly, Cerilene, Diellza, Eila, Elowen, Hersilia, Liselotte, Myrthe, Naeemah, Shyla, Windland, Ysmay

#2 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

Seaward, though I like the maritime connection, sounds too stuffy for me, but I kind of like the sound of Windland. It's very interesting.

I would probably change it to Winlyn, though.

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

Seaward I could never use! :L Not sure why, but it really doesn't seem like a name :)

Windland is sweet, kinda. It's a name I'd love to see on someone elses kid! :) Winnie is really cute and the name has a sweet melodic sound when you say it (:

~ Haddie

#4 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development & Design, Writing

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

both of these are surnames, and variant surnames at that (they are variants of the last names Seward and Wendland, respectively) They're much more common as surnames than given names, though the surnames aren't that common either.

I personally think the traditional forms sound much better than the variations. these variations sound kind of made-up, maybe it's because they're so obscure, maybe it's because they are cognated in order to make their etymologies more obvious (one etymology of Seward does mean "sea guardian", though another offers the meaning of "pig herder"... not as flattering!)

surnames-as-firsts is one of my favorite trends, just not into these two. They are much more interesting than a lot of other names though. And I think it's great to explore underused names :)

oh and Wendish is still spoken in Germany, by the way :)

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Novak sounds handsome, but for whatever reason makes me think of a medicine ^_^ Like, a lot of medicines end in -ak sound. Otherwise, I actually really like it! :)

Adorabelle... no! Sorry, but greatly dislike! It's like naming your child Princess and Precious, it's not fair to the poor child :)

~ Haddie

#6 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

Novak sounds handsome, but for whatever reason makes me think of a medicine B) Like, a lot of medicines end in -ak sound. Otherwise, I actually really like it! ;)

Adorabelle... no! Sorry, but greatly dislike! It's like naming your child Princess and Precious, it's not fair to the poor child :)

~ Haddie

LOL. I didnt think of it until you said something but Novak does remind me of novacaine, the stuff you use to numb your mouth when you have a toothache :)

And I'd never heard of Adorabelle but when I was looking for names and came across this one I knew I had to use it, but only for the comic relief. ^_^ I figured it spark some great comments.

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

LOL. I didnt think of it until you said something but Novak does remind me of novacaine, the stuff you use to numb your mouth when you have a toothache :)

And I'd never heard of Adorabelle but when I was looking for names and came across this one I knew I had to use it, but only for the comic relief. :) I figured it spark some great comments.

Hahaha, same same! ^_^ Makes me think of something along the lines of Novocaine, Prozac, etc. Anything with the sound! ;)

Hehehe, I'm sure it will have interesting commentary! Especially being I am so against people using names that'll harm their child like that!!!!!!!!!!! D:<

~ Haddie

#8 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

Aaaah Novak.... :) Being the massive tennis fan that I am, it is quite a common name for me these days (as World #3 has it). I don't mind it actually. I would probably never use it, but it's alright.

Adorabelle, not so keen on this one. Though I am not a fan of names like that.

#9 -Tara

-Tara

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Novak-nms

Adorabelle--its kinda cute but nms, its sounds like Adorable.

#10 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development &amp; Design, Writing

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

I had a cat named Adorabelle :) I think pets are good for cutesy pootsy names, but please not children!

#11 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Novak's okay, though I would never use it.

Adorabelle......

.....................:)

<really, people, just really?>

:)

#12 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

I LOVE Eila, but I prefer the spelling Isla. :)

#13 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

I LOVE Eila, but I prefer the spelling Isla. :)

Well Isla is English and derives from the word Island...Eila, though pronounced the same way is Hebrew and means tree. So completely different names. I actually think I prefer the spelling/name Eila myself.

#14 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

Howlan I don't like. Eila I would spell Isla.

#15 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

I adore the spelling Eila. I have never been a fan of Isla, but this spelling is gorgeous :wub:

Howlan is not really my style.

#16 Abby Thomes

Abby Thomes

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Fashion Designing, Being a wife, &amp; Raising kids!

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for starting this back up for me...I've been so busy getting ready for the babies! Only a month left, can't wait!

#17 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

Howlan sounds okay, almost like howling though lol :wub:

Eila is kinda gorgeous!!!! I think I might love it! I mean, Isla has been on my list and it's a pretty spelling, but Eila has a nice feel <3

Atley is handsome!

Elowen is okay, I prefer it like Erowens name though :wub:

Sorry I seem to be negative at the boys names especially! :P I hope I'm not too much a negative Nancy <3

~ Haddie

#18 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Ysmay, dislike :wub: it sounds off and looks off I guess

Rayner I kinda like! it's handsome :wub:

#19 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

I like Rainer, spelled this way.

Ysmay I'm not into.

#20 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

I absolutely love Rayner (but spelt like Rainer). It has been a favourite of mine for many years :wub: (I am quite in love with this name :wub: lol)

Ysmay is ok, but I would never use it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users