10 replies to this topic

#1 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

I was just looking through some polls and when people say a name is unisex the mostly mean they take a traditional boy and slap on a sticker saying it is unisex. ??? What. So many people could name their daughters Adam (meaning man) does that make the name unisex? It is really weird how people come up with a name they like for a girl and use "unisex" as a excuse for using the name. Alright how about Fred...I like it for a girl does that make it unisex? No. Does any body agree or disagree..conversation?

#2 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

I agree somewhat. I have names that I like that are I guess considered Unisex. But most of the names that I like, I have mostly heard them on one gender more than the other and that is the only reason I consider them Unisex is if I have seen it both on Males and Females. It does not really matter to me but I see your point some names just need to stay the way that they are meant to be! Such as your Fred situation! Also, names have steadily changed over the generations and names that were once male names are now considered girl names and vice versa! I agree and it does aggravate me when I see a name that is meant for boy/girl used on the opposite gender!

#3 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

I agree somewhat. I have names that I like that are I guess considered Unisex. But most of the names that I like, I have mostly heard them on one gender more than the other and that is the only reason I consider them Unisex is if I have seen it both on Males and Females. It does not really matter to me but I see your point some names just need to stay the way that they are meant to be! Such as your Fred situation! Also, names have steadily changed over the generations and names that were once male names are now considered girl names and vice versa! I agree and it does aggravate me when I see a name that is meant for boy/girl used on the opposite gender!

What i really don't like is when people can't see the other way around..they name their daughter Michael but they can't see why someone would name their son Lillian.

#4 Hello

Hello

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:26 AM

I hate unisex!!!!!!!!! I love the name Ryan but only for a boy!!

#5 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

I agree totally. I know people like that and I just want to scream at them! That is so hilarious. It's okay for them but not for other people!

#6 Ryan-gal

Ryan-gal

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

When I look for names for my gals, I don't search 'unisex names', I just find a name I think is beautiful then find it a middle name. I think its rediculous to just like a name because its unisex and shun everything else out. I don't believe in unisex people, but there are definetly the names out there that I can see bolth genders using, like Taylor. I was named Ryan, so I find it to be a feminin name, but I can definetly see it on a boy. I honestly thought Chase was a gals name, only gals. But I don't care, because Ryan Chase is pretty, and I can't see my gal with any other name. Someone on one of my topics suggested Rhys/Reese, and I love it. Though, I also love other types of names. I wanted Rhys/Reese Kathryn, but we settled with Journey as mn (which IS all gal). Well, thats my opinion, though, I think some people DO bring unisex too far. ~Ryan

#7 kendallpecsek

kendallpecsek

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

I was just looking through some polls and when people say a name is unisex the mostly mean they take a traditional boy and slap on a sticker saying it is unisex. ??? What. So many people could name their daughters Adam (meaning man) does that make the name unisex? It is really weird how people come up with a name they like for a girl and use "unisex" as a excuse for using the name. Alright how about Fred...I like it for a girl does that make it unisex? No. Does any body agree or disagree..conversation?

I do not agree at all. I think names that are appropriate for you are the one's that you should consider. Many people think of my name Kendall as a unisex name; However, it depends on if they know a male or female with that name whether or not they think it is masculine/feminine. I have never heard a girl named Adam or Frank...but there are plenty of beautiful names that are not overly cutsie and feminine...something that is also appropriate as an adult! If you like ultra-feminine names then stick with what you like! Good luck.

#8 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

I think that many people are so misinformed about names. When some people are pregnant they look up a name that is listed as unisex. Than they don't even take into consideration of what the name really is about. Tristan is a welsh name meaning tumult. The Welsh don't use it as a girl name, but in America they just look at it and say its unisex because they prefer it on it! Heck..If I thought Chad was unisex does it make it one? I am glad to here counter-arguments. :). What makes me sick is when they change the spelling and claim it is more feminine..dude..it's the SAME name.

#9 Ryan-gal

Ryan-gal

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

"What makes me sick is when they change the spelling and claim it is more feminine..dude..it's the SAME name."

I totally agree on this. Ryan and Ryann are the same name, Ryann is no more feminin. Thats what is so difficult with deciding which spelling of Rhys/Reese I should use if I have a gal! I hear many only say a certain spelling is the feminin way. But I wanted which spelling looks better, regardles of the gender : }

#10 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

I think I draw the line somewhere with the name Rhys. I can see why people think it is unisex but Rhys is just has to be saved. The name is great and I can't picture a girl with this spelling. I am sorry I sound hypocritical but Reese for sure!

What I dislike most is when people just use a nickname as a scapegoat! OH Emerson is a girl name because it has the nickname Emmy! Yea...sure and the name Andrew is unisex because you can call her Annie!

Who agrees.

#11 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

I do agree people use "unisex" as an excuse. I don'tl ike unisex names, except for a few. I mainly don't like unisex names because I don't see the appeal of them on girls. With the exceptions however, I just like them, and I think that I have lived with them as unisex for a long time whereas others are more recently considered unisex...

and as far as rhys, i love rhys fora boya nd reese for a girl,t hey are like too different names to me, it's weird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users