• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,663 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

The 4th grade classes at the elementary school where I work are doing a project about their names. It's really a neat idea, and I thought I'd modify it a little bit and make it a name game on the BNG forum.

The kids have to answer each question for their first, middle, and last name, but you can choose whether or not you want to. If you don't want to share your real name, you can just do it for a made-up name. I'll post my answers as an example.

Have fun!

Full Name: Victoria Elizabeth Johnston 

Who thought of your name? 

First name: My parents

Middle name: My parents

Last: Some medieval Scottish guy

Are you named for anyone?

First name: I'm named after my great-grandmother (my maternal grandmother's mother). Her middle name was Victoria.

Middle name: I'm sort-of named after Queen Elizabeth of England. My parents wanted another royal name to pair with Victoria. 

Last name: N/A

What is the country of origin?

First name: Italy (Latin name)

Middle name: Israel and Greece. The Old Testament form of the name is Hebrew, but the modern form (Elizabeth) is the Greek translation of the Hebrew name.

Last name: Scotland

Do you have a nickname? How did your family come up with it?

First name: My parents wanted to call me Tori, but ended up just calling me Victoria. I really hate it when anybody calls me Vicki.

Middle name: My dad calls me Beth once in a while.

Were there other names your parents thought about naming you?

First name: Rachel, Lauren, Serena (my paternal grandfather's mother's name)

Middle name: Victoria (paired with Serena)

Do you like your name? Why or why not? 

First name: I like it a lot better than I did when I was younger. I used to think it was too weird. And I hated people saying "Hey Victoria, what's your secret?" all the time in middle school.

Middle name: I've always liked my middle name, and for most of my life preferred it to my first name.

Last name: Yes. I especially like studying the origin and history of my last name, and what my ancestors did first in Scotland, then in Ireland, and then in the United States. However, I don't like constantly having to correct people on the spelling and pronunciation (everybody leaves out the T. I get called "Johnson" a lot).

What would you like your name to be?

First name: Serena. I've always liked it. If my name was Serena, I'd probably want to be Victoria, though. I also like Julia and Amelia.

Middle name: N/A

Last name: Madden (as in Richard), Harrington (as in Kit), Bloom (as in Orlando), or Hemsworth (as in Chris). I'd happily marry any of them. XD

Are there any funny stories about your name?

First name: 1) My younger cousin used to call me "Turtle" because she couldn't say Victoria, and to this day it still comes up in conversation. 2. I went to a very small college, and knew a lot of people there. There were 8 Victorias at my college, and I was acquainted with 2 of them. The three us had never met someone else with our name, and we all went by our full names instead of Vicki or Tori. 

Middle name: Two of my best friends in college (Kristin and Anastasia) also had the middle name Elizabeth. My friend Kristin decided that the three of us were the "Elizabeth Club." Because apparently she thought we were still in middle school...

Last name: Most of my certificates from elementary school neglected to put the T in my last name. One day, I got bored and took a Sharpie to all of them. We found them a few years ago with large, childishly written Ts in the middle of my last name. 

#2 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Full Name: Jenna Lee M_____ [leaving my last name out]

First name: My parents

Middle name: My parents

Last: Who even thinks of last names I don't know

First name: Nope

Middle name: My middle name is actually my dad's middle name.

Last name: Obviously it was passed down through my dad's side

First name: English (it was derived from Jennifer)

Middle name: Nameberry said English, but I know it's very common in both Irish and Chinese[?] cultures

Last name: Irish (it's a Mc name)

First name: Ever since I was little my parents called me Jenna Bean, which they still do sometimes much to my dismay. Friends call me Jen sometimes but not often. Some people I don't know well call me Jenny sometimes, which I really dislike.

Middle name: I have a friend who sometimes calls me Lee but I don't see her often.

Last name: One of my friends from my soccer team actually calls me JMac, a mix of the beginning of my first and last names.

First name: Jamie or Kayleigh/Kaylee 

Middle name: Lynne (I was supposed to be Jamie Lynne)

Last name: N/A

First name: It's okay, I think it's better than Jennifer and fits me a bit better than Jamie. I hate, though, that some people assume that Jenna is short for Jennifer.

Middle name: I really like my middle name and actually like Jenna Lee as a whole better than just Jenna. I like that it's inherited from my dad, which is a bit unusual.

Last name: Yeah, I really love my Irish-ness even though a lot of people misspell/mispronounce my last name because it's an alternate spelling to a more common Mc name.

First name: For some reason I've always liked Callie even though it's pretty girly. I like Ellie but don't know what I would want it as a nickname for. Elizabeth maybe, but then I'd like to be Beth, maybe.

First name: I used to have a doctor with a thick accent that was Portuguese or something and he always pronounced my name "Yenna."

Middle name: I actually know a girl named Emma Lee, which we joke how her parents could have just named her Emily.

Last name: As mentioned above, most people misspell or (more rarely) mispronounce my last name even though it's pronounced just like a common Irish surname and only one letter different.

#3 thenamer007

thenamer007

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, writing, naming

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

Full Name: Victoria Anne M______

First name: Dad

Middle name: Mom

Last: Some German guy I guess

First name: Sort of, I'm named after a street called Victoria Lane. Whoever named the street must've named it after someone named Victoria.

Middle name: My mother's middle name, though she wasn't born with a middle name and added it when she got married for my great-grandmother.

First name: Italy (Latin name) (Well since we have the same name I'm just going to leave it at that lol)

Middle name: England or something

Last name: Prussia

First name: Sometimes I'm called V or Vic, and for the most part I came up with it myself because I liked how it sounded, I'm not really sure. And yeah, I have to agree that I hate Vicki.

First name: Well, if my mom didn't like Victoria, I probably would've been named Autumn or Savannah, since my dad likes those names.

Middle name: Lane (I'm sooooo glad my mom didn't like it)

First name: I think it's pretty. I've never had anyone ask what my secret was (lol), though occasionally I'll joke about that store, as in, "oooh, my secret underwear."

Middle name: I know it's a really common middle name, but I like the name and I was thinking of naming a little girl Anne. Just because.

Last name: Well other than misspellings and mispronunciations, I like it.

First name: N/A

Last name: Maybe something a little less likely for people to get wrong, but whatever.

First name: I've often had little kids pronounce my name "Bictoria" or simply "Toria". And someone once spelled my name Victorya.

Middle name: A lot of times when someone asks me what my middle name is, they'll be like, "oh yeah, that's my middle name too," and then they'll ask me, "with or without the E?" And people will sometimes pronounce this name like Annie. Heaven knows why, it should be obvious it's pronounced just like Ann.

Last name: Sometimes the last letter will be cut from my last name because it's too long.

#4 HxppySxng

HxppySxng

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,040 posts
  • Interests:Planners, piercings, Witchcraft, Netflix, & baking.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

Full Name: Bailey Sarah Wilson

First name: Mum

Middle name: Mum

Last: Some guy in Northern Ireland a long time ago?

First name: Nope!

Middle name: My mom's middle name is also Sarah!

Last name: -

First name: Irish

Middle name: Hebrew

Last name: Irish

First name: My brother, Reilly, calls me Bails. Mostly just Bailey.

Middle name: Nope.

Last name: When I was younger, people called me Willy Nilly? I dunno what that means. 

First name: Dakota, Casey, Avery, Jordan.

Middle name: Natalie.

Last name: -

First name: I think it's fine, I wouldn't change it given the chance. 

Middle name: I don't like the fact that it's so common. But the fact that it honours my mum is pretty cool.

Last name: I don't like it at all. It seems to be so common and somewhat masculine. I'm thinking about adopting Isabelle's last name. Waiting until marriage to change it. 

First name: I like Bailey, but I can see myself as a Courtney or Claire, maybe Erica. I like Rhiannon.

Middle name: Michelle or Taryn. 

Last name: Any celebrity last name... Radke, Sykes, Biersack, Purdy. Or something with Greek origins. 

First name: Since all of my siblings have unisex names, going through school we all got called each others names, I guess I look like a Taylor?

Middle name: My father originally misspelled my name, forgetting the H when I was born as he was so nervous. We changed it to be spelled correctly. 

Last name: I've refused to go by my father's last name for pretty much forever, so I usually go by my mother's maiden name; Talle.  

#5 HaydensMama18

HaydensMama18

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,253 posts
  • Interests:My son, baby naming, singing, dancing, helping others

Obsessed with WWE & TNA

Favorite viners & youtubers: The Gabbie Show, Liza Koshy & Joe Santagato & Shane

My favorite actors are Grace Phipps & Garrett Clayton

Current favorite songs: Anything by Little Mix, Ariana Grande-Boyfriend Material & Anything by Bruno Mars

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

Full Name: Karina Yasmin Rivera

First name: Mom

Middle name: Mom

Last: Passed on from father's side

First name: Nope

Middle name: My mom's middle name is Yasmin, as well

First name: Scandinavian (variation of Carina)

Middle name: Persian

Last name: Spanish/Italian

First name: Most of my family members call me Kari. I guess it's inevitable

Middle name: My mom sometimes calls me Karina Yasmin

First name: Hilda (thank God she chose Karina)

First name: I think it's pretty. Other people compliment on my name and I like it :) 

Middle name: I think it's pretty as well, kind of different. But I love how it honors my mom

Last name: It's really common amongst Hispanic males and females. It's really annoying cus I have to be called by my first and last name in a few classes

First name: I would've loved to be named Rowan :wub:

Middle name: Alexandra, Alyssa (after mom) or Elizabeth 

Last name: Biersack-Purdy ;) 

First name: My father's side of my family used to call me Karina Farina (kinda like spanish oatmeal), and my father calls me Karinis Farinis, lol I don't know why xD

Middle name: A few years back, my mom and I were really confused on the spelling of my mn (Yasmin & Yazmin). It was like this for a while until we looked at my birth certificate lol :D

#6 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Interests:I love writing, reading, sports of any kind(my favorites being basketball & soccer), music, and hanging out with my friends and family.

AND, I of course love thinking of baby names even though that is a VERY far in the future thing for me because I'm still young!

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Full Name: Hannah Rachelle Murphy

First name: My mom

Middle name: My mom

Last: Some Irish person haha

First name: Nope lol

Middle name: No, mom liked the sound of it

First name: It's a Hebrew name, I think the Anglicized version of Channah

Middle name: France.

Last name: Ireland

First name: Sometimes my name is Hanner or Han, but most of the time I'm Hannah. 

Middle name: Mom calls me Chelle Chelle every now and then and I love it. 

Last name: Mom, dad, and many coaches have called me Murph. Also love it.

First name: Skyler and Chelsea

Middle name: Dawn and Renee (aunt's name)

First name: Yes I do quite a bit. I think it is pretty and SO much better than the other names they considered. 

Middle name: LOVE. I've always loved it, but I don't have, in my opinion, the personality to pull it off full time.

Last name: So much. I'm very proud to be Irish and love being a Murphy. Also... Murphy's Law is very, very real.

First name: What it is, being Hannah is who I am.

Middle name: Same.

Last name: Murphy. I love it so much I don't want to get rid of it haha.

First name: My mom was seriously considering either Chelsea Renee or Skyler Dawn, but my mamaw was not a fan at all and begged mom to pick something else, so she conceded and chose Hannah Rachelle.

Middle name: ^^^

Last name: just the Law.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users