20 replies to this topic

#1 -xoxoSoccerIsLife

-xoxoSoccerIsLife

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

So, today I had met these two girls, who happened to be twins. But guess what their names were...

Hannah
&
Anna.

Doesn't that seem a little too close?

Anyways, that got me started on a topic. What twin names are in the safe zone?
On a website I saw one of the most popular twin paired names are Emmaline & Emily.

So what twin names are in the safe zone & what are not? hahah.

#2 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

Hmmm, I think Hannah and Anna are a little too close for twins, and maybe Emmaline and Emily too.

I like Scarlett and Sabina for twin girls, Henry and Ethan for twin boys and Henry and Hope for a boy and a girl.

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

Not sure what you mean by "Safe Zone"...Do you mean not too similar? And therefore okay to use for twins?? or Do you mean "safe" as in kinda boring and not adventurous?

#4 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

For girls I like:

Jade and Jessa

For boys I like:

Elijah and Joseph

For Boy/Girl I like:

Jade and Joseph

#5 -xoxoSoccerIsLife

-xoxoSoccerIsLife

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

Not sure what you mean by "Safe Zone"...Do you mean not too similar? And therefore okay to use for twins?? or Do you mean "safe" as in kinda boring and not adventurous?

Safe zone, as in they are not to close together. hahha :wub:

#6 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

OH! Also, I know two girls (NOT twins) named Joyanna and Annajoy

#7 Jules

Jules

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

I know quite a few pairs of twins. Most of them are not actually a 'match'.

Phillip & William
Monica & Vanessa
Leonard & Lucas
Ava Charlotte & Owen Christopher

My friend is probably naming her girls Stella and Scarlett. I like both names, but I think they sound too similar together. Also, my sister's friend is Gabriella, and her brother is Gabriel (but they're not twins).

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Ohh my golly, it bothers me so bad when people do something like that!!! I mean, Emily and Emmeline?!?!? There are not even any nick names you can use to seperate them from each other! So they have no indivisuality... Then, what happens when little Emmeline is running out from the yard towards an oncoming car and Emily is sitting quietly plucking flowers from the grass and you yell "Emily STOP!" and Emily stops but Emmeline... :wub: or even if you didn't accidently mix it up and did yell "Emmeline STOP!" then the twins are already used to their names being mixed up so Emily might think your talking to her or Emmeline ignores you assuming your mixing them up again? AHHH! It bothers me so much! There are so many beautiful names out there! Why not take advantage of having mutliple kiddo's and use two of the names you love instead of one version of the same? Plus its nice to give your kiddo some indivisuality, being that the fact that their twins will probably constrict some of that from them, intentionally or unintentionally?

Lol, I end my rant here! :P

but my favorite twins names.... <3

Emma and Kate
Genevieve and Isabel
Saoirse and Roisin

Kate and Liam
Kate and Eli
Kate and Chase
Genevieve and William
Maeve and Eli

Liam and Chase
William and Eli (which is still iffy to me, being the nick name Liam would have the same long E sound as Eli)
Chase and Eli
Jayson and Eli
River and Forrest ( a GP though )

Yeahhh, I could go on forever matching my names up. Cause I honestly chose names I love out to match in style, sound, etc. I make no differences between names I'd use for twins as I would siblings, I just pair up my favorite girls names with each other or whatever. (as long as they don't sound too similar and all :P I adore Scarlett and Charlotte... but NOT as siblings, nor twins!!!). So yeah, I set no different standard for twins ;)

The safe zone for twins... would be the same for as siblings. I personally take it a bit farther than a lot of people, I wouldn't name my kids Bailey and Leah, Katherine and Katelyn/Kaylin, Teagan and Reagan, etc. Just because they sound too similar to me, personally. Or the nick name opportuities are the same for both Katherine and Katelyn/Kaylin in my mind. Cause I wouldn't mix up those two names together. But yeahh.

I suppose it's mostly personal opinion. But if I had two screaming toddlers running around the house, it'd give me a headache to try and remember their names if they rhymed! :) Ahhh what a nightmare! <3 (though also keep in mind while saying this, I don't want to have twins. If I ever happen to, I know it'll be a blessing and I love them so much! And I'd definitely have fun dressing them in opposites, such as one wearing a black peacoat with red leggins and the other wearing a red peacoat with black leggins <3. But, I will be just as happy to have a single child. And probably less stressed out with trying to raise two itty bitty ones at the exact same time :P )

~ Haddie

#9 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

Wowww. Hannah AND Anna?? REALLY??!!
I feel sorry for those girls!!

I know twins named:

Cara and Maddison
Poppy and Ruby
Chloe and Paige
Tori and Rhys
Maddison and Jake

Their all pretty 'safe' I think.. :wub:

Its fine to use the same initials.. eg. Sophia and Scarlett... but to use names that rhyme or are VERY similar... eg.. Emily and Emmeline.. in my opinion it looks like, you loved the name Emmeline.. couldn't be bothered searching for another name and so just shortened it and had to 'EMS'... :/
It bothers me because the names are so similar it will become confusing for the kids and all.. imagine if they named a son Emerson :) Im starting to babble now but yeahh. Goshie!!

#10 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

I know quite a few pairs of twins. Most of them are not actually a 'match'.

Same here. I know:

Holly and Robert "Bobby"
Sarah and Rebekah (my favorite combo of the batch)
Kristen and Jenna
Patricia and Royal
Ellen and Melissa
Eric and Marc (kinda matchy?)

#11 Elena Mae

Elena Mae

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:writing, poetry, classical and ancient history, photography

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

Most of the twins I know have had pretty "safe" names: Alice and Eve, Lauren and Andrew, Matthew and James, Robin and Sean... But then some of my friends told me about the twins they go to school with.

Not only are them completely identical, they're called Jemma and Jumma (I think that's how they're spelt).

Bit close if you ask me...

#12 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

I feel bad for kiddo's named things like Jemma and Jumma ;)

And woahhh Ash! That's a terrible though! Emmeline, Emily, and Emerson! :wub: Ahh!

But I have met very few pairs of twins... Idk, there are very few around where I live, at least. I thought they were less popular than the amount that all of you know! :P

But I met one girl who was a twin, Tara. And she had a twin named Heather, though I didn't meet her. I saw her, but didn't meet her lol. Tara and Heather is pretty though :)

And I met two little girls, fraternal twins. Lindsay and Hannah. They were cuties hehe! <3

So yeah, I don't know many twins at all... but yeah. Both of them are not matchy or anything, stylistically seem to fit though!

#13 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

I don't like any twin names that rhyme, and I avoid names that begin with the same letter. I do find I like when twin names are similar in length (similar number or syllables or letter).

Favorite twin names:

Veronica & Penelope
Bridget & Fiona
Cassandra & Guinevere

Fiona & Garrett
Penelope & Benjamin
Sylvia & Arthur
Cordelia & Tobias

Simon & Dexter
Benjamin & Matthias
Quentin & Garrett

I also find I'm drawn to names with a connection like how Simon and Dexter are slightly geek, Fiona and Garrett are Irish, and Veronica and Penelope, well, both just make me think of strong women.

#14 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

A lot of people around where I am have the first letter thing going.
Fraternal:
Madison & Mädchen
Angus & Anik (Madison & Mädchen's younger sibs)
Brittany & Bryanna
Drew & Blake
Eric, Charlie, Ryan & Bethany (not sure. I've not had a class with her)
Josh & Dewayne

Identical:
Tonya & Sonya
Kristen & Gwen

Not really a lot of matchy names.

#15 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

Okay I had to come back to this thread because I met a Jon and Bon this weekend. Too bad they weren't triplets, the third could have been Jovi hahaha.

#16 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Unsafe zone [for me, anyway] ♥;

Taylor & Tyler
Tyler & Kyler
Cody & Coby
Brody & Cody
Leo & Leon
Bennett & Beckett
Kaden & Hayden
Finn & Flynn
Samson & Samuel

Charlie & Carly
Charles & Charlotte
Casey & Macey
Rhys & Rose [Again, one of the few I wouldn't REALLY mind]
Ryan & Riley
Gabriel & Gabriella
Toby & Toni
Finn & Quinn [OH yeah]
Noah & Nora(h)
Louis & Lucy
Ross & Rose

Gemima & Gemma
Gemma & Emma
Emma & Emily
Emily & Emmeline
Emma & Emme
Emma & Emmeline
Emily & Amelie
Emilia & Emily
Anna & Arianna
Anna & Hannah
Ariella & Ella
Ella & Isabella
Madison & Addison
Mary & Mariah
Jade & Jane
Julie & Julia
Lola & Lily
Lily & Lila
Lucy & Lacey
Lara & Clara
Clara & Claire
Charlotte & Scarlett
Elise & Alice
Alissa & Elise
Alissa & Alice
Rosalia & Rosemary
Isobel & Annabel
Mia & Maya

Most of these are completely self explanatory, others may be just me thinking they're too close.

Ones that are close, but just enough not to make it awkward

Thomas & Timothy
Ethan & Evan
Joseph & Joshua
Levi & Liam
Hunter & Jasper

Louis & Lily
Hunter & Harper
Alex & Alice
Adam & Adele

Annabel & Julianne
Hannah & Ariana
Anna & Lana
Amelia & Emma [Though it still bothers me]
Ami & Mia
Lily & Lucy
Claire & Chloe
Madison & Adeline

Ones I think could work, since they sound nice together [I think] but aren't too matchy.

Toby & Theo
Jacob & Joshua
Jared & Jacob
Jacob & Joseph
Liam & Luke
Lucas & Levi

Jude & Kate
Aidan & Nadia
Owen & Lea
Reid & Rose
Matthew & Madeline
Caleb & Claire
Ethan & Emma
Evan & Emily
Levi & Lucy
Levi & Laurel
Luke & Lily
Leo & Lucy
Aaron & Alice
Cole & Claire
Ian & Ivy

Lucille & Lorelai
Grace & Rose
Olive & Vivian
Mariah & Monica
Haley & Hannah
Brenna & Bridget

ETC. ♥ :]

[There's also names like Beau & Archer that I think are adorable for twin boys]

#17 anniefaith

anniefaith

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

Wow! Hannah and Anna are wayyy too close in my opinion! They sound sooo close, I wouldn't use them for siblings let alone for twins. Same goes for Emmeline and Emily. When I hear stories like those, I can't help but wonder what their parents were thinking when they named their kids! It's ridiculous! LOL

I know several pairs of twins (I guess families with twins are common where I live haha) and I think that for the most part their names are in the safe zone:

Amy and Rosemary (Rose)
Nicholas (Nicky) and Lainey
Sarah and Rebekah
Grace and Tabitha
Matthew and Christopher
Rebekah and Alison (Ali)
Benjamin (Ben) and Will
Mark and Marissa
Bassim and Safi (kind of different, but I think it would from their culture)

So yeahh, those are just the twins that I know, lol. These are twin names that I would use if I had twins:

Emma and Sophie
Grace and Abigail
Sarah and Rebekah
Katherine nn Kate and Josephine nn Josie
Molly and Lauren

Luke and Evan
Matthew and Joseph
James and Alexander
Ryan and Samuel
Peter and Henry
David and Benjamin

Luke and Emma
Riley and Lauren
Ryan and Sophie
James and Rebekah
Benjamin and Anna

I think that the same initials thing is safe, yet I don't know if I would use the same initials if I had twins. I don't think I would, because I agree with Remy Hadley that they do need to have their own identity.

Also, I think that virtue names together fall into the unsafe zone. While I adore names like Grace and Faith, I would never use them together, especially on twins! The same thing goes for flower names. I love the names Rose and Violet, but I don't think I could use them together on twins or siblings because the theme thing is just too close for me personally.

Oh my goodness! That would be awful if they had another child and named him Emerson, and what about another named Emmett and another named Emma! Hahaha that's just too much in my opinion. =)

~Annie

#18 Eva Phoenix

Eva Phoenix

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

For me, the definite "unsafe zone" would be names that rhyme (Hayley and Bailey), names that are essentially the same (Emily and Emmeline), and names that are forms of the same name or could have the same nicknames (Katherine and Kaitlyn). I go a little bit further than some people and include names that are two of a theme (Grace and Faith), names that are reverses of each other (Heaven and Nevaeh), and names that have parts of them in the other (Lucy Elizabeth and Bethany Lucille). I'm not sure I'd do the same / reverse initials thing either, but I don't think it's outside the "safe zone". Of course I'm a bit name selfish and would probably just endup using my top two names for whatever sex they were if I had twins, instead of picking names specifically for twins. If that makes sense. :wub:

Personally I know a bunch of twins and I think most of their names fall in the "safe zone":
Samantha and Paige
Janelle and Julianne
Landon and Logan
Leon and Terra
Alayna and Mya
Dylan and Casey
Madison and Skyler
Eliza and Annabelle

But some of them do not:
Purity and Nevaeh
Charles and Charlotte
Brenna and Brennan
Isabella and Arabella
Lana and Lena
Grace and Chase (even worse, called "Gracie" and "Chasey")

#19 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

twins already share so much, why not give them individual name?? poor darlins!
i know twins tim and jack, cute simple and individual!
i know a jessie(boy)jansen(yes jansEn nor jason) and justin, siblings 1 yr apart
i also know a laila and lylah which makes me mad, identical twins sharing looks, dna and names not fair~

#20 -xoxoSoccerIsLife

-xoxoSoccerIsLife

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

I thought I should bring this topic back up. I just met twin girls in my town that are named

Joyce
&
Jocelyn

I swear, my town does not know how to name kids :/

hahahaha! :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users