• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Patoriisu

Patoriisu

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:59 AM

I've recently came across an article "baby names on the verge of extinction", and I really like the name Alpha for a girl.

Alpha is the brightest star in every constellation and most importantly it symbolises primacy and excellence.

While the name may be the first letter of the Greek alphabet, it's one of the last names modern parents consider for their baby girls. Not so in 1880, the first year baby name records were kept in the US, when Alpha was at Number 301. It dropped of the charts in 1944 and is about to disappear for good.

I think Alpha makes an interesting choice for a first daughter and it gives off some spectral sci-fi reverberations.

Alpha seems too tomboyish and plain... I feel that It's lacking some feminine touch, so I think to attract the name Alpha in a positive light, it's best to combine it, have two first names to balance it out.

Some examples:

Alpha-Lyra
Alpha-Jonesy

I love unussual, unique names ...anything goes.

Any combo suggestions you can think off would be extremely helpful!

#2 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

Alpha isn't my style, but it could make an interesting name for a storybook or movie character. Possibly a tad too unusual for me.

For a girl, I would definitely pair it with something super feminine and possibly more common/traditional to balance out the uniqueness of Alpha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users