• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

On top of being my own middle name it is the name of one of Martin's close friends who he's been playing around with naming a second daughter after (she wants to name a second son after him). I've made my dislike of the name Elizabeth well known but I only dislike it as a middle. In the middle it just seems very generic and filler to me (possibly because for most girls my age it was). But as a first name its great as long as it stays Elizabeth (which I know I will have no control over after school starts).
I have two problems: 1) Will it seem as though she was named after me? (We have the same problem using Anthony even though its a family name on both sides.) 2) Will people understand why I like Elizabeth without having to explain the difference between a meaningful first name and a filler middle?
Thanks!

#2 Kristi18

Kristi18

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Name Games Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,906 posts
  • Interests:Spending life with my husband.
    Cuddling with my kids.
    Hanging with my family.
    Enjoying God's creation.
    Laughing with friends.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

I love the name Elizabeth. I graduated high school with an Elizabeth (no nickname). I think it is ok to say she is named after you and the friend. Also, I don't think you have to explain your thinking of fn vs. mn to anyone. After all, it is your child!

#3 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

I am the same way with liking Elizabeth as a first name but not as a middle! Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

#4 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

I love Elizabeth as a first or a middle name. I probably wouldn't be able to use it because it's one of my friends' middle name and while I like her I wouldn't want it to seem like I was naming my child after her. That sounds kind of cruel, but I don't mean it that way I swear. :P

I think people who know your middle name would probably assume you are naming your daughter after you, but not everyone you or your daughter will meet will know your middle name so they don't have to know unless you tell them. If they know, however, I don't think it would be too hard to explain that you just love the name.

And honestly I don't think number 2 will be a concern because I don't think anyone will be thinking about that.

#5 Guest_StarBabyNamer_*

Guest_StarBabyNamer_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

I love the name Elizabeth. I don't really care for any of the NN's.

#6 Kookie

Kookie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I agree, I do prefer it as a first name! Although the only nicknames I like are Eliza and Beth :)

#7 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thanks ladies.
I don't know what middle name I would give her.
Elizabeth Hilja Baker
Elizabeth Olwen Baker
Elizabeth Summer Baker
Elizabeth Avery Baker
Elizabeth Cyrene Baker

#8 Kookie

Kookie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

Elizabeth Summer is really pretty!

#9 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Elizabeth Summer caught my eye right away! How pretty :)

#10 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I also went to school with a girl named Elizabeth and although we weren't close I never heard her refered to as anything other than her full name. I think if your child is used to being called Elizabeth then that is what they will mostly go by.

I always liked the idea of being called what I felt was a more mature sounding, Kate, when I was older but it never really stuck, I was too used to Katie.

I'm sure most people would assume that she was named after yourself, but when you think of it, most people (other than family) usually don't know or ask why you named your child such-in-such. When you tell your friend that you are going to name a daughter Elizabeth after her then that is really all that matters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users