8 replies to this topic

#1 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

I thought I was getting close to chosing a name--I had it narrowed down to two. However, I came across a couple of new names and brought back a couple. Gemma and Sophia are still in the running.

The first name is Waverly. I posted this as a seperate topic name and I have gotten some pretty positive feedback. The name is really growing on me and I like Katie's suggestion of Avi as a nickname. Is Waverly too out there though? I like the name but there is something about it that seems...made up? Even though it is a legit name. (Cadence and Waverly/Cadie and Avi)

Tatum was a name I considered way before I knew I was having another girl. I know my mother-in-law favors Tatum. I have an on-and-off fondness for this name. I was pretty set on it originally and then changed my mind. But, it keeps coming back. (Cadence and Tatum)

It's funny how this name returns to my list. Especially since I didn't care for this name in the first place. It looked nickname-y. Now I really like it which is Zoey. This name is in the top 50 of popularity and growing. (Cadence and Zoey)

Madison came to me while I was watching That 70's Show. I started liking it and I know James likes it as well. However, it's #8 in popularity, so it makes me iffy. (Cadence and Madison)

Of course, I still have Gemma and Sophia. Both names have recieved positive responses. Gemma is not a popular as Sophia but Sophia is a timeless name. My husband isn't a fan of Gemma but is fine with Sophia. I like Gemma but I dont know if I particularly love it. My affection for Sophia is sort of waning but still enough to consider it in my names. (Cadence and Gemma)(Cadence and Sophia)

Obviously, for all these names, the middle name is Claire. I didn't include Nate or Alana in the sibset only because they were named by James and his ex. Though they are all related and they are my kids albeit through marriage, those were the names chosen by their parents. There is some influence on how the sibset flows but not as influential as Cadence. If that makes sense? I am not trying to be mean. LOL.

#2 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Gemma, Sophia, Zoey and Madison are my favourites.

Waverly, as much as I like it, is a little out there for me. It's more of a GP than a name I'd ever use.
Nathaniel, Alana, Cadence .. & Waverly? It just doesn't work IMHO.

Tatum is adorable, but again, doesn't fit as well as Gemma, Sophia, Zoey or Madison do with the kids' names.
And there's something about saying "Cadence & Tatum" that I'm not fond of.. I can't put my finger on it though.

I actually like Madison. I know that a lot of people have begun to dislike it, being all "trendy and overly popular". But I still like it!
Though I'll admit to loving Addison more.
Nathaniel, Alana, Cadence & Madison work wonderfully, I think! Though I'm guessing you'd go with the nickname Maddie? In which case Cadie and Maddie might be a little too close for comfort.

Like I said...
Nathaniel, Alana Mae, Cadence Alexandra Elizabeth & Gemma Claire
{Nathaniel, Alana, Cadence & Gemma}
Nathaniel, Alana Mae, Cadence Alexandra Elizabeth & Sophia Claire
{Nathaniel, Alana, Cadence & Sophia}
Nathaniel, Alana Mae, Cadence Alexandra Elizabeth & Zoey Claire
{Nathaniel, Alana, Cadence & Zoey}
are all WONDERFUL choices.

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

I adore the name Gemma <_< Gemma Claire sounds really nice.

I also really like Waverly. It's grown on me recently.

And Sophia, of course. I love Sophia

#4 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I've thought of Addison before. <_< I think it is an adorable name. I had a teacher whose daughter's name was Addison.

I am back-and-forth on Waverly. Its grown on me recently and I can't seem to push passed the name. One moment it will seem out there and the next it's absolutely perfect. I've tested it on a few people (aunt and husband's ex) and it's still a positive response. I like the idea of the nickname Avi/Avy or even Ava (though this might be a stretch). It's funny my husband doesn't care for Gemma or Waverly but wouldn't mind Persephone.

I think I might have out grown Sophia. I still like it but I am not as in love with it. And it might be because Sophia Claire is bland to me. Give it some time. LOL. It will come back. Though it's popular, I am leaning a bit more to Madison, which James likes the nickname Maddie. If we didn't have Claire, I wouldn't mind Madison Waverly. <_<

I don't know why but I keep Gemma in that list. I like how it sounds and looks but I am not convinced on actually naming my daughter that. I'll even admit as much as I have written it down Claire is slightly growing on me. Not enough I want to name my child but to a point I don't feel so negative about it.

#5 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

I love Gemma and Sophia, but you know this already.
I really think Gemma fits well with Nathaniel, Alan, Cadence & Gemma Claire.

As for Waverly, I love, love this one and I really don't think it is too "out there". Plus the nn Avi is to darn cute. I'm not sure the sibset goes well, but Cadie and Avi are perfectly complimented. Waverly Claire is beautiful. I have had this on my list since before Wizards of Waverly Place and I have highly considered naming a daughter this. I guess it is all up to personal preference on how "out there" you think it is.

I personally do not like the name Tatum. Just for a negative, ugly person I know in real life. It has always hindered me in liking he name. Cadence and Tatum do sound great together though. Tatum Claire doesn't have the best flow for me.

I have a personal love of the name Zoey, for obvious reasons. Even with this being in the top 50 popularity, I honestly only know 2 Zoey's in real life. Cadence and Zoey are really nicely complimented. Zoey Claire is just too cute as well.

For me, Madison is way, way to popular for me to ever use. I wouldn't want to strap my kid with a name, that when she starts school, there is going to be 5 other Madison's in her class and they are differentiated by last initial. My cousin just named his baby Madison Elizabeth and I just feel for the child when she starts school.

My favorites are Zoey, Waverly, Gemma and Sophia.

They all sound great with Claire and go well with Cadence <_<

#6 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

I actually like Madison. I know that a lot of people have begun to dislike it, being all "trendy and overly popular". But I still like it!
Though I'll admit to loving Addison more.
Nathaniel, Alana, Cadence & Madison work wonderfully, I think! Though I'm guessing you'd go with the nickname Maddie? In which case Cadie and Maddie might be a little too close for comfort.

I don't think Cadie & Maddie are too close (if you wanted to go that route). My sister is named Maddie and even though I'm a Katie and not a Cadie...they are pretty much the same name. It has never been an issue that mine and Maddie's names are "too similar" I think since the first syllable is stressed in both names it doesn't pose a problem.

As to which names...I really like Zoey & Cadence (Cadie) and I have from the very beginning. Though the name tends to lean a tad juvenile/young I think it is still wearable on an adult. I completely understand your aversion to popular names (Katie might not have been as popular as Ashley but it was close). And even though Zoey is in the top 50, it is no where near the popularity that Ashley and Katie where in the 80s, plus I think that Zoey (being that it started its rise in the mid-90s) I'm thinking it will start to decline. Plus look at it this way...the % of Zoey's born in 2010 was only 0.27% which means about 1 in 400 girls born in 2010 were named Zoey. The spelling Zoe was 0.32% in 2010...making the combined % about 0.5% (1 in 200 girls). In comparison, Ashley rose to 3% in the mid-80s, that is 6x the amount of Zoey/Zoe's. So think about how many Ashley's you knew in school and divide that number by 6 and you'll have about the number of Zoey's your little one will know.

You can look at Sophia & Madison the same way...Madison reached its highest point in 2001-2002 at ~1% and has since been steadily dropping in popularity. In 2010, Madison was ~0.71% (less than 1 in 100). Sophia is still climbing and if you include various spellings (Sophia ~1%, Sofia 0.32%, Sophie 0.22%) Total ~1.5%.

Tatum (0.05%), Waverly(not ranked) and Gemma (0.03%) are a lot less popular. Of these three Tatum is my favorite.

#7 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I don't think Cadie & Maddie are too close (if you wanted to go that route). My sister is named Maddie and even though I'm a Katie and not a Cadie...they are pretty much the same name. It has never been an issue that mine and Maddie's names are "too similar" I think since the first syllable is stressed in both names it doesn't pose a problem.

Maybe it's just my accent, but for me, personally, they're too close.
Cadence and Madison aren't, but Cadie and Maddie are to me.

As for Katie and Maddie, when I say them, they're nothing alike... <_<

#8 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Wish I didn't have to compromise on Claire as a middle name. LOL. I would just go with Gemma Waverly!

#9 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I must admit, right now, Gemma and Zoey are my favourites of yours...
And Sophia ofc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users