• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

I was at a party, and this adorable little boy was named Kitano (Kai-tawn-o). I thought it was so cool and super unique. The parents heard it as a Brzilian name when they were traveling and just really liked it. I also think the nn Kai is perfect!!! <3

Thoughts? Also, would you spell it Kitano or Kytano?

#2 .:alexandra:.

.:alexandra:.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:linguistics, psychology, books, conspiracy theories (within reason), equality, space/astrology, names

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:33 PM

I'd probably spell it Kytano
  • Barbie likes this

#3 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

So, I did some research trying to find more about this name. The dad said its origins were from Italy, but popular in Brazil. However, the spelling Kytano/Kitano are for a Japanese surname. I was confused. I finally found on the below two sites what it is linked back to. So, now I wonder how that family actually spells the boy's name. I was just guessing for my post. Ooops! :blush:   lol 

Kytano/Kaytano  spelled:

Caetano also spelled Kayetan (German), Cayetano (Spanish)

"Italian form of the Latin name Caietanus, which meant "from Caieta". Caieta (now called Gaeta) was a town in ancient Italy, its name deriving either from Kaiadas, the name a Greek location where prisoners were executed, or else from Caieta, the name of the nurse of Aeneas. This was the name of a 16th-century Italian saint."

http://www.behindthe...om/name/gaetano 

Gaetano

Pronunciation: guy-TAH-no

Meaning of Gaetano: "from the city of Gaeta"

http://nameberry.com/babyname/Gaetano

However, I think spelling it with a "k" or "c" and calling him Kai is perfect!

#4 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

Kitano looks extremely Japanese to me. Not a bad thing, just distinctive. I'm not crazy about the name but it would be fun to meet a little kid with the name!
  • Barbie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users