• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

Does your family have any sort of tradition when it comes to names?

I am an extremely family-oriented person, and family is literally everything in the world to me :D My side is pretty small but very close-knit, and for several generations now (or as far as I can see with the genealogy research I’ve done!) we’ve upheld a vague tradition of bestowing either the same names or similar ones to the kids. I thought it was pretty neat! Lets see…

On my mom’s maternal side, my great-great grandmother was Rosa Emele, and my great-grandma is Helena Rosa. My grandma is Emily Helena -- she kind of broke the “theme” with my mom, who is Nicole Bethany Gail, with the two middle names being those of my paternal great-grandma. Then mom named me Emily Charity. I’ve been trying to uphold the tradition with my girls, at least in their middle names: Sinéad’s is from my husband’s mom, and Shelby’s is from mine. And then of course, our next little girl will be Victoire Chadée, for my dad.

Keeping with this tradition is the least I could do, really, because the other family trend on my side seems to be having just one child, or, at the very least, just one girl :unsure: I’ve shattered that one already!

Okay, I’m rambling way too much! Anyway, do any of you guys have any sort of family traditions to share? I love reading them. I'm actually leaving to go see my mom in just a few minutes, but when I get home I might try and do a little more research on my dad's side and my family as a whole ;) I love this kind of stuff!

#2 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

My family doesn't have any set rules or traditions, but my step-dad's parents were Earl & Marilyn and their two oldest children are Earl Jr. & Lynn Marie. My step-dad was the baby and was named after both grandfathers, John Thomas (he goes by the nickname Jack). I'm named after my godmother, Cecilia, and go by my middle name Caitlín (Cait). The rest of the family is mostly a hodgepodge of whatever "sounded" nice.

#3 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

We used to have a family tradition in naming, I guess. My Uncle Ron was named for my pawpaw and my mama and Aunt Katie were named for friends of my Grandma Judy's. Then when my parents got married, me and my siblings all had D names (Danielle, David, and Destiny), but when my parents broke up my Dad got remarried and had Shyann and Mason (both ending in "N"). Unfortunately, I didn't want to do something like that...Had it been up to my parents, I'd have had a normal name for my child and when I have other children they'd have the same first or last letter, but I already assured them I didn't want to do something like that. :unsure:

#4 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

I'm sure my family has had naming traditions, but they were broken long ago...

#5 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

As far as I know there aren't any naming traditions in my family or hubby's. I did give my oldest daughter a variant of my mum's name, though, but I very much doubt that qualifies as tradition.

#6 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:50 AM

Actually, I guess there are. I talked to my mother about it and she said...

From her side, the name Lee for middle names is kind of a tradition. I have about 12 people in my family with it as a middle name (myself included, except my middle name is LeeAnn).

From my father's side, the middle name Raymond is common. It is Dallas's middle name, my father's, my grandfathers, and I think one or two uncles.

That's all!

#7 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

Actually, I guess there are. I talked to my mother about it and she said...

From her side, the name Lee for middle names is kind of a tradition. I have about 12 people in my family with it as a middle name (myself included, except my middle name is LeeAnn).

From my father's side, the middle name Raymond is common. It is Dallas's middle name, my father's, my grandfathers, and I think one or two uncles.

That's all!

That's neat! :unsure: I'm going to my aunt and uncle's place this afternoon for a bit of a brunch, so I'm going to prod my uncle for any traditions on the male side of things that I'm unaware of :D

#8 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

So it turns out that the male side of my family isn’t near as traditional as us gals :unsure: I had a great-grandfather named Christopher, and the name passed to my grandpa as a middle name: Jake Christopher. My grandparents only had my mom and my uncle, who is named Austin Christopher. My four cousins are Jacoby Austin, Karl Zachary, Hayden Eric and Adriana Gabriella. I think a few of their middle names might be coming from my aunt Dani’s family, but I’m not entirely sure.

So yeah. That was a lot less interesting that I thought it would be :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users