7 replies to this topic

#1 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

I don't know if anyone knows this, but my favorite show is Supernatural. I have fallen in love with some names on the show (and names of the actors) and I want your opinions on the names.

1. Dean ~ one of the main characters on the show. I like this name because it's strong and handsome. It's also not trendy or frilly. Simple and nice.

2. Sam ~ this is a tricky one. I don't like Samuel that much (although it has grown on me A LOT), but I wouldn't use just Sam. I also adore Sammy (which is what Dean calls Sam - they are brothers)

3. Jared ~ Jared plays Sam. I have loved Jared for quite some time, but I've been really thinking about it a lot lately because of Supernatural. I think it's one of those names like Michael and Joshua. They are sort of common, but so timeless that it doesn't matter.

4. Jensen ~ Jensen plays Dean. I like this name a lot because it's not common, but it also doesn't sound made up (at least to me). I think that's because it's a surname. I think it's pretty handsome.

5. Castiel (pronounced Cast-ee-el) ~ probably my favorite name of the bunch. Castiel is an angel and on the show and I think this name is just incredibly awesome! haha for lack of a better term. I like that it's different, but strong (which is a quality I like in boy names if you haven't noticed :) ). I really like the sound of it too. And it doesn't hurt that I adore the character.

6. Misha ~ Misha plays Castiel. I think Misha would be one of those names I love, but wouldn't use. I think it's different and has a nice ring to it.

So what do you think? Do you think it's lame to name a child after a character (or actor) on a show? :rolleyes:

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:16 AM

So sometimes I skim a bit when reading longer topics...so I read your names first and I was like Someone likes Supernatural! :rolleyes: LoL.

I do like Dean & Jensen a lot. Jared is great but I'm not a fan of Sam. I cant really put my finger on why I just feel its a bit too soft of a name and lacks substance :\ Plus it is a really popular name for dogs. I think Sammy is cute on a kid but not for an adult...I like Samuel but more for a middle name.

I really like Castiel's character but I don't think the name is very wearable.

When I hear Misha I think Micsha Barton...I know its a guys name but it has very feminine qualities with the -a ending and also because it sounds more similar to Michelle then it does to Michael. I like the name but I would place it firmly in the pink catagory.

#3 Amanda Katherine

Amanda Katherine

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:I love music, musicals, art, writing, theater, names, making friends, and having fun.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

I love Supernatural! :rolleyes:

Dean- love it! (love him too ;) )
Sam- the name's okay but a little plain
Jared- I really like it, it sounds really strong and cool
Jensen- I'm in love with this name, especially the combo Alexander Jensen
Castiel- I love this name too, it's so cool and unique
Misha- I do think this name is slightly girly, but it's growing on me

:)
~Amanda

#4 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

So sometimes I skim a bit when reading longer topics...so I read your names first and I was like Someone likes Supernatural! :rolleyes: LoL.

I do like Dean & Jensen a lot. Jared is great but I'm not a fan of Sam. I cant really put my finger on why I just feel its a bit too soft of a name and lacks substance :\ Plus it is a really popular name for dogs. I think Sammy is cute on a kid but not for an adult...I like Samuel but more for a middle name.

I really like Castiel's character but I don't think the name is very wearable.

When I hear Misha I think Micsha Barton...I know its a guys name but it has very feminine qualities with the -a ending and also because it sounds more similar to Michelle then it does to Michael. I like the name but I would place it firmly in the pink catagory.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I agree about Sam being too soft and lacking substance. I think that's why I was never drawn to the name much before.

Oh no! I forgot about Micsha Barton...the name may be ruined for me now...LOL. I still like it, mostly because I adore Misha Collins, but I don't think I would ever use the name.

I love Supernatural! ;)

Dean- love it! (love him too :D )
Sam- the name's okay but a little plain
Jared- I really like it, it sounds really strong and cool
Jensen- I'm in love with this name, especially the combo Alexander Jensen
Castiel- I love this name too, it's so cool and unique
Misha- I do think this name is slightly girly, but it's growing on me

:)
~Amanda

Thanks for the reply Amanda! Alexander Jensen is gorgeous! Do you mind if I put it on my list? Thanks for the reassurance about Castiel. I am SERIOUSLY considering using it in the future. I'm glad that not everyone would look at me like I'm weird though. ;)

I think Castiel, Jared, and Jensen are on my list for sure. Possibly Dean, but I think I would rather use the other names maybe. But, that doesn't mean I can't play around with it.

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Dean ~ I don't care for it, not my style :rolleyes:

Sam ~ I totally agree with you! Sam is handsome, but I don't care for Samuel... nor Samson. Sammy is cute as well! But just Sam alone I don't know if I'd do myself <3 Hmm!

Jared ~ I don't personally like it, but its nice!

Jensen ~ I can't recall which book I read, but itwas a last name to someone. But I kinda like it, handsome and unique :D Alexander Jensen would be handsome and definitely a very strong and masculine boys name!! <3 I love that suggestion!

Castiel (pronounced Cast-ee-el) ~ Kinda neat sounding, definitely strong :) Makes me think of a guilty pleasure of mine, Kastle. (I knew a girl with this name, pronounced cass-lee and thought it sounded pretty!).

Misha ~ is it like mee-sha or like mih-sha? ;) I kinda like mee-sha, but I agree, a name I'd love but never use sort of thing :)

Do you want suggestions to all of the names? ;)

#6 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

I dont watch the show, so my opinion is based entirely on the names ;)

Dean - Its nice. Very manly and strong sounding.
Sam - This reminds me of the complete opposite to Dean ;) Sam is unisex, and I guess I see it more on a female. Im not a fan of Samuel & im not a fan of Sam on its own.. so its a toughie :D
Jared - Its really simple and its not very common here in Australia.. at least I have only known of one Jared in my lifetime. Its the sort of name, you could of used 10 years ago, could use today or could use in twenty years and it would still be lovely.
Jensen - Sounds kinda like a last name to me.. I prefer Jared.
Castiel - Reminds me of a pastel pencil.. Its unique though with the ability to still pronounce it correctly so I suppose thats a plus. It does sound angel like..
Misha - I like it, very pretty and girly. Its got this certain ring to it :)

I dont think its lame at all. :rolleyes: I adore the names Taylor and Miley after.. you guessed it the singers. :) So go for it!

#7 ReadeAlexandra

ReadeAlexandra

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

1. Dean - OK, see I love his character and the name sounds so manly on him... but it's my grandmother's name so I can't get over that... I would use it as a mn
2. Sam - I agree, I don't like Samuel but love Sam... Samson is ok and I love Samwise as a GP but I would use Wise as a nn not Sam
3. Jared - it's nice but I wouldn't use it
4. Jensen - adore it!
5. Castiel - sounds girly
6. Misha - love it!

#8 Amanda Katherine

Amanda Katherine

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:I love music, musicals, art, writing, theater, names, making friends, and having fun.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

You're welcome :blush:
Of course you can put Alexander Jensen on your list! And if anyone actually used the name Castiel I would think they were so cool.

(I'm feeling the urge to watch Supernatural now :wub: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users