Photo

Name taken by dog?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

Name: Abbie

Type: Advice please
I want to name my baby boy Simon, but his aunt and uncle recently named their dog that. Should that stop me using Simon?

#2 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

I can see how its a problem you might want to avoid. I personally, probably wouldn't do it, but the thing is, if you really love the name, just make sure to tell him you liked the name and didn't name him after a dog. I might suggest using it as a middle name. If you think you would spend a lot of time around the aunt and uncle and their dog, then i would probably use it as a middle name or use another name you like instead, but if you don't see them often, i think it might be alright. Also, think about how your aunt and uncle would act, would they feel awkward about it at all? i know some people that would think it weird, but i don't know.

#3 Guest_bellasbellas_*

Guest_bellasbellas_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:50 PM

Name him Simon anyways! Who knows.. they might not even have the dog for long =]

#4 Sylvana

Sylvana

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:28 AM

Personally, I wouldn't use it. Maybe as a middle name, but I wouldn't even do that. Just go with another name that you love.

#5 K.C.

K.C.

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Depends on how close you are to the family. Do they live near you? Do you see them often? If they live out of state, who cares. If you'll always be around them, then you might want to think about it.

#6 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

I agree it depends on how often you see them and were you pregnant when they named the dog? I think you can name your child whatever you want. Maybe you could ask them to change the name? Good Luck. - Maybe Simeon?

#7 lucy

lucy

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

I think it depends on how close you are to them, and how often you see them. If you will see your aunt and uncle and the dog regularly, then I would either use Simon in the middle spot, or find a new name. If not, then just use the name.

Personally, I would just find a new name. Dogs can live a long time, so it may get confusing at family get togethers and things.

Some suggestions:
Simeon
Silas
Ivan
Ryan
Saul
Noah
Eli
Elijah
Samuel
Samson
Elias
Miles
Milo
Isaac
Liam
Ian

#8 Ginger

Ginger

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

I would name the baby Simon. Dogs can live a "long time" but nothing compared to the life-span of your son. I've met a lot of dogs named "Ginger" (more than people, actually). Even if you named your son John you may end up living next to a dog with that name. No guarantees!

#9 Julie

Julie

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:23 AM

well that is no where near as bad as my neighbor who named her dog after her deceased husband and you are technically not nameing your child after a dog and dogs only live to be at the most 15 years depending on the breed normally it's lower then that

#10 Sophiea--*

Sophiea--*

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

PERSONALY : I would not name him simon because if it is alredy used in your family do you really want somthing boring and the same ,try and think of a unique name.
Plus Dogs are just as precious as people,
But who cares its just my opinion So..
ITS YOUR choice YOU have to make this decission you cannot depend on strangers to guide you through your life do you?
YOU CAN make this choice.All by yourself,and you will be proud to tell the tale.

#11 Karin Marie

Karin Marie

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

I agree it depends on how often you see them and were you pregnant when they named the dog? I think you can name your child whatever you want. Maybe you could ask them to change the name? Good Luck. - Maybe Simeon?

I was thinking Simeon too! It's like Simon except one letter difference plus it's a wicked cute name! I go to this mom group & her son's are Simeon & Asher! i love both their names! So unique & cute! :)

#12 Hello

Hello

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:40 AM

I would not use it but it depends how often you see them!! Ask them if they would mind you using the name as well!!! I like Simeon!!

#13 Jessie

Jessie

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

I think a child is much more important than a dog and deserves a name that the parents LOVE. Simon is definitely NOT my style, but if it makes you and daddy happy, then use it.

How about Sawyer or Samuel, they are much cuter, IMO

#14 Britt2537

Britt2537

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

i wouldnt worry about the dog..name him what you want

#15 Kaylee09

Kaylee09

Novice Baby Namer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

If you love that name, there should be no reason why you can't name him Simon. :)

#16 Jessica J

Jessica J

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:56 AM

Name: Abbie

Type: Advice please
I want to name my baby boy Simon, but his aunt and uncle recently named their dog that. Should that stop me using Simon?

Not as a first name ...use it for a middle name