9 replies to this topic

#1 beatlelover968

beatlelover968

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:30 AM

I was just curious to know if any of you have names that you associate with people that bring back negative memories/feelings, and if these dislikes actually prevented you from naming your child that name. If so, what did you name your child instead? Also, have and celebritys ruined your favorite names and caused a negative association? I know twilight messed up alot of mine! (Rosalie, Jacob ect). Would you ever consider going against your instincts and using the name if your partner really liked it?

ALSO, on another note, has anyone ever "stole" your name? My mom was going to name me Jana from the moment she found out she was pregnant and then when she went to visit my aunt and her new baby in the hospital (about 2 months before I was born), my aunt had named my cousin Jana!

any comments or stories would be interesting! thanks:)

#2 Aliame

Aliame

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:51 AM

When my husband and i were thinking of names for our upcoming child, we had a really hard time finding one. This is partly due to the fact that i've worked with kids or in the school system for 12 years. A lot of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO's come out from that experience. Then on the flip side a lot of the more common names i liked, he had bad run ins with. Some of his and my top names that were crossed out due to associations were: Ryan, Jeremiah, Jeremy, Isaiah, Logan, Heath, Chandler, Trevor, Rachel, Tieha, and Madison.

To this day we only have three names we can agree on.
Gabriel Atticus(or Lucas)
Dexter Atticus
Anna Grace

Other names that might be considered: Cane, Gregory, Chloe, Delilah (nn Delia on my part. Hubby is against that), Hope, Faith, Alexa (nn Alex on my part. Again, Hubby is against that)

So yeah, name associations play a big part in our name decision making process. So does nicknames that i dont like. For example, i like the names michael and samuel... but i would never use them as first names because i hate mike, sam, sammy, and undoubtedly that is what people would try to use.

Would i ever go against my instincts? Probably not. Now on the flip side, there are names i like DUE to associations as well like: Atticus, Cane, Dexter, Finch, Gabriel, Gregory, Gus, Jack, Kirk, Linton, Nathan, Ryan, Titus, Victoria, Tieha, Rachel, Iva, Hope, Geneva, Chloe, Cadence, and Alex

As far as "Stealing" baby names. The only story i remotely have that is similar is that when i was a teenager, one of my friends was pregnant, she wanted a girl sooooooooo bad, and i asked her what if its a boy? She said it won't be. I asked her if she had any names picked out? She said no, because it'll be a girl. I said, Isaiah would be a nice name. She said yeah, but its a girl. --- She had a boy and named him Isaiah.

But i can tell you this, if i have a name picked out, i dont care who i'm related to and what kid they are having, im using that name. I don't care if i have a nephew/nice, cousin, best friend, hubby's ex's new child. I'm gonna name my kid what i want, and it won't detour me.

#3 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Carson, Dalton, Darin - LOVE THESE NAMES! But, all three cussing, bullying boys in my class (Even though I do go to a Christian school, go figure) Darin and Dalton were really good kids, until carson came.

#4 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Some names really have turned me off from liking them because of people I know. Alec is a big one. I know two of them and both of them are...well not my favourite people in the world, so I would never, ever use it. I can't think of any right now, but I am sure celebrities have stolen some of my favourite names :)

As for stolen my name, I was supposed to be called Melanie Jade, but a few months befoe I was born, someone my mum went to school with who had married someone with the same last name as well named her daughter Melanie Jane. Mum thought that would be way too close (especially with the same surname and all) so they called me Ashleigh Jade instead. :wub:

#5 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Bad Name Associations:

Mitchell :wub: :) :)
Amy
Luke
Amber
Jesse

#6 ImaginationGirl

ImaginationGirl

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Acting, Singing and spending time with God, my family, friends and cats!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

Two of my best friends (they're sisters) both love the name William so much that they said whoever has a boy first gets the name. :wub:

As far as bad associations go, it doesn't bother me too much. For example:
I LOVE the name Cole, but have known a few Cole's that have not been much in my favor--but I DO know a couple Cole's that are pretty nice, so it doesn't bother me at all. I love the name, and know that I would love my kid no matter what his/her name was anyways. :) There could always be a mean or bratty person with a name you like, but that doesn't mean you have to think of that person when you think of the name. However, if someone was really mean to me or someone in my family, I probably wouldn't use that name out of respect for them, and of course it might bring back painful memories. Overall though, I don't really care who has the names I like--as long as those name aren't extremely popular or related to someone or some character that is obviously too popular for the right or wrong reasons.

Hope that wasn't too confusing... :)

#7 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

I've always liked Jesse for a boy (I blame it on Full House) but I've known quite a few Jessie's (girls) that I disliked and my sister's ex-boyfriend's ex-wife (if you can follow that) who was the mother of his first daughter was a total idiot and a terrible mother (she thankfully no longer has custody). So because of that I dont think I could ever use the name Jesse.

I also like Charlotte or "Charlie" for a girl. But my sister recently married a Charlie. Though this doesnt stop me from using it as a well placed middle name, my mom's ex boyfriend was named Charles and I despised him the entire time they were together and he single handedly ruined my mother's home business and we are still going through financial difficulties because of him so I don't think I could ever use the name Charlotte.

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Oh, I have plenty of names that are out of the question because of association! The firsts that I remember for this moment are:
~ James
~ Patrick
~ Tyler
~ Margaret/Mag
~ Jeffrey
~ Melanie
~ Bryan
~ Alison
~ Nancy
~ Richard
~ Justin
~ Louis
~ Cameron
~ Matthew (real bad association, but I still kinda love it... </3)
~ Amy
~ Evan

So on and so forth... I especially squirm at the first two, seeing as I had a terrible experience multiple times with people with those names, and even one with both names lol! (his name was James Patrick, a double whammy!)

But, I don't think I have any "name stealing" going on over here. I mean, I do have a cousin named Alex. So I don't think I could ever use Alexander as a first name, might be a bit too close. Though that doesn't actually bother me, I don't think it'd hurt. But either way, I probably wont use it as a first name.

I do know, though, before my older brother was born, dad made the mistake of letting his co-workers know that he found the absolute most perfect name for his soon to be boy: Nathan. Then, suddenly there was an increase of Nathan's being born there! His friends went out and named their boys Nathan lol! So apparently he spread use of a good name :wub: So he and his buddies had their little Nathans... haha!

#9 -Regan<3

-Regan<3

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:39 AM

Yes i do, my mother (who pretty much raised me as a single mom) had some nasty exes named Dennis & Michael..No way could i EVER name my sons that.
But it does suck cause Dennis & Michael are both of Nathans grandfathers name :)
I would love to be able to honor them, I just cant do it.
I am looking into Liam (Dennis' (Nathans grandfather) middle name was William) and Micah.

I also cant do Kevin, Joey, Johnny (my father), Thomas (my grandfather) or Willard (my step great grandfather)
The girls in my family (well except for me Nathan rocks :() have had HORRIBLE luck with men!

#10 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

I knew I'd name my first daughter Fiona Siobhan and I told a good girlfriend my plans to use it and she named her daughter Fiona Marie. I named my first Fiona anyway, I'm not going to let someone else influence how I name my child.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users