8 replies to this topic

#1 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

I have fallen in love with the name Richard Maxwell for a little boy. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! But I don't really like the names on their own. Also, I got the name from a cd series. The character (Richard Maxell (FN and LN)) is somewhat mischeivious and got him self in to some trouble with a guy trying to rule the world. But in the end, Richard becomes a good guy (though seeking revenge), I'm a Christian and It is a Christian series with great morals. If I use these CD's when I have my kids, Would it be mean to name my son Richard Maxwell? (P.S Richard isn't in a lot of episodes)

Thanks!

~Eden

#2 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

No, I don't think it's mean at all. There are many names that I like that have been taken from literature -

Charles Wallace from A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Theodore Laurence from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Atticus from To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Matilda from Matilda by Roald Dahl
Holden from The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Milo from Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
plus any number of names from Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, William Shakespeare, and many, many others...

The point is inspiration for names can come from anything - literature, music, movies, whatever. I think that being able to find a deeper meaning in a name is nice. Plus your kids will be able to tell others the story of where they got their name, and maybe they might even identify with the character a little. :(

#3 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Well what I'm thinking is because he starts out as such a caniver. Trying to manipulate everyone. Do you still think its ok?

#4 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

But would you always call him Richard Maxwell...would you call him Richard? Max?

If you don't really love the name but like them in combination I don't really see that as the perfect combination.

I think the combo sounds great but I'm not a huge fan of Richard even though it is my dad's name, I don't think I could ever use it even for a middle name. I do like Dicken which is a form of Richard....anyway to answer your question....

If you LOVED the name then I don't think it matters so much where the inspiration comes from. But if you only like the name because it sounds good together than I don't think its the right name for you.

#5 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

Well, I like Max, But like Maxwell as a middle name. I was thinking about the nn Richy-Max

#6 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

I wouldn't worry about a not-so-great connection like that. Unless you plan to tell people where you got the name or it is a hugely popular franchise it shouldn't be a problem. Not even if you plan to use the CDs when you have kids. Plus, Richard is quite a classic name and goes great with Maxwell. If you love it, keep it on your list.

#7 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

Its probably only popular with Christians, since it is a Christian program! Thanks guys!

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

It's a nice combo, but he does turn out good so it's not much a worry. I love names that have meaning, such as many that Malli put in her comment :(

You could actually even just call him by his middle name! Many people are called by there middle name :) Max is a super cute name <3 though maybe Maxwell Richard would even work better... If you said it enough times, seeing as your used to hearing it as Richard Maxwell, it may seem odd at first. But yeah <3

#9 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

I like Maxwell Richard, but I don't really like Maxwell as a first name, which could pose a problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users