Photo

Names You Despise and Names You Swear By!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sarah_ann_willis_

sarah_ann_willis_

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hey guys! I am challenging all of you to post up to 3 names that you absolutely despise and give a reason why, and do the same for up to 3 names that you think are to die for! Can't wait to hear your opinions!

My Top 3 Despised Names:

Girls

• Alison
  • Hannah
  • Tori (this is going to sound immature, but every girl named Tori I have ever met has been so mean to everyone..silly I know but still can't bring myself to even be okay with that name)

Boys

• Noah
  • Evan
  • Genesis (too feminine for a boy in my opinion, great for a girl though!)

My Top 3 Favorite Names:

Girls

• Aubrey (I have always loved this name and am naming my only girl out of triplets this!)       
  • Emma
  • Brooke

Boys

• Bentley
  • Gage (love the masculinity, I am naming one of my boys this!)
  • Jackson (love how easy and simple it is, plus I love the city of Jacksonville so...lol...I am naming my other boy this!)

Those are my choices! What will yours be?  :lol:

#2 EmilyA

EmilyA

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

Despise 

Girls 

• McKayla/Makala/Macayle (and every other variation under the sun) It's TOO common and I honestly don't see the appeal of the name. It sounds too clunky
  • Kaylee/Kaylie/Kailee ("" "") It's so common where I live and I swear every other child is named some variation of Kaylee
  • Sophia- Just no.....the name is just not my style and I despise it so much for some unknown reason 

Boys 

• Kaden- I hate this name with a passion and I ultimately hate seeing it used as a girls name as well
  • Aiden- Too popular and I just don't like the sound of it
  • Jayden- Noooo, why name a boy with a prefix of a girly gem? NO. I don't like it on girls either. 

Favorites 

Girls 

• Penelope- Something about the name just sounds so sweet and I've never known a Penelope. 
  • Margeux/Margot/Margaux- Love the way it rolls off the tongue, very proper.
  • Cordelia- Many nickname opportunities and it's so regal  

Boys 

• Benjamin- Need I say why I love it? Perfection.
  • Emmett- Family name that's very dear to me. So vintage. 
  • Tanner- Southern charm never hurt nobody. Love the name and wish to use it if that time every happens again...

#3 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Acting, Dancing, Writing, Names, Event Planning, Hiking, Fitness, Cooking, Baking, and Exploring new things!

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

Girl

Despise:

Ainsley-the one girl I knew with this name was sooooo mean

everyone! I just can’t bring myself to even consider liking this

name.

Brynley-Bryn is a strong male name from Wales that is for some reason

becoming popular on girls and turning into variations like this. Leave boys

names for boys! (This also includes Kendall, Harper, Bellamy, Peyton, Ryan   etc.) Not to mention I grew up on a street called                   Brenlee so that’s all I think  of.

Destiny-This name just sounds super tacky and it makes me think the

Parents had the child when they were young teens.

Love:

Annabeth-Classy, pretty, easy to spell and pronounce. What’s not to love

about this name? Plus it’s the name of the feisty female protagonist in the

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan!

Esme-I just love the way this name sounds and looks, it’s very elegant.

Molly-This name is simple and elegant.

Boys

Despise:

Gunner-This name seems very negative to me and I know a lot of dogs with

this name so I have a hard time hearing it on a child.

Patrick-I just don’t like how this name looks or sounds.

Knox-This name is more popular right now, but it’s trendy to me and I

don’t like how it looks or sounds either.

Love:

Aidan-It’s not as popular as it was, but it’s familiar. People know how to

spell it and pronounce it.

Peyton-This name is strong, masculine, and familiar.

Seth-Biblical, uncommon, but still familiar.

#4 HxppySxng

HxppySxng

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Interests:Planners, piercings, Witchcraft, Netflix, & baking.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

+ Positive +

Little Ladies:

Celeste

I've been crushing on this one for a few months now. I just think it's so elegant without being overly frilly. It's not too common, but not made up either.

Luna

I started liking this one when I started the photography class I'm in. There was a girl, beautiful woman really, and her name was Azaluna, and she preferred Luna and hearing her say it was like music to my ears. I've loved it since.

Terra

I first saw this on Little Women, but I've looked into it. It's such a downtoearth name and I can't even explain how much I love it ok.

Dashing Dudes:

Leo

I started liking this when I read a book by Julie Halpern. I can't use the title on here, but just Google the author. I also love celestial names [see above] so this just fits right in. 

Beau

This is the newest name on my list. It's so simple yet complex because of the -eau. It sounds so exotic to me. Love love love.

Cameron

This honors Cameron Liddell, the guitarist of my current favourite band Asking Alexandria. But honestly I adore the name itself.

- Negative -

Gross Girlies:

Katherine/Catherine/Kathryn/blah

It's so common and it's irritating because you never know how that girl spells it, and there's no good nicknames imo and I've known multiple Katherines who were very direspectful and the name leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Elizabeth

It's so old. It reminds me of Grandmas. I feel bad because I have a good friend named Elizabeth but she goes by Liz. I think it's the -beth part because I strongly dislike Bethany as well.

Shay/Shae/Shai

I can't even describe how much or why I hate all versions of this name. I can't.

Baneful Boys:

Aaron

I find this weird because I like Erin on girls. It might be the double a that freaks me out or the -ron or both???

Paul

I knew a Paul. I hated him. I took Maths with him in Year 7. Bad memories. 

Robert

My Grandpa is named Robert and it bothers me. I liked a boy in school named Robert and he really messed with me at one point so that might be the cause.

#5 ambrosia

ambrosia

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

Despise:

Harper - there are so many problems with this name.  it's not cute or pretty, it sounds awful, harsh, and rude.  all it reminds me of is someone who harps on people.  i would call an annoying person a harper.  it's just not a nice name for a person.  even if it didn't have a bad connotation it sounds hateful, like in a story you'd name a gross hag who is pretending to be a human girl Harper. 

Alyssa - it wouldn't be bad if it wasn't so common.  i got sick of it.  i don't like it that much to begin with, but now i really dislike it.  i love Allie though.  i also like Alice.  but Alyssa just doesn't sound good to me at all, it's overused and boring. 

Britney - it just doesn't sound nice, i really don't like it.

bonus: i also hate Makenzie, all spellings, it just doesn't sound pretty

Love:

ok i have a ton, and my answer changes every time i answer this question but right now i'm thinking of

Annabel -  it's so classy and pretty, and i love the poem Annabel Lee

Imogen -  this name makes swirly sparkles in my head, maybe because it sounds like imagine, it's a really pretty name

Olympie -  i really like it!  it's cute and sweet, also unique and beautiful

#6 Annie S.

Annie S.

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

Love~

Girls:
Alice "Ali"~ I don't know. I just recently fell head over heals for this name! I love the way it sounds and I love the nn Ali. I love that Alice is a well know and easily spelled name, but not overly common. Plus, as a added bonus, it's a family name. ☺
Noah~ I am a fan of quite a few boy's names on girls, as long as it's not something like Matthew that is never used on a girl. I love the softness of it. The girl spelling is "Noa", but it looks incomplete to me. It's just a beautiful name though!
Adelaide~ There are quite that I like, but I decided to go with this one. It is so beautiful and eligant and I love the nn Adley. 😘

Boys:
Henry~ Simple and beautiful. I have a huge crush on it. It's so handsome! As a bonus, it's a family name. 😊
Clark~ I just have a gigantic crush on this name! I can't explain it! It just makes me swoon when I here it!
Roland "Ro"~ It sounds so romantic and handsome to me. Plus I love to short, spunkyness of the nn Ro.

Hate~

Girls:
Annabelle~ It's pretty, but it just totally sounds like a "dogs only" name to me. My grandparents used to have a dog with this name.
Destiny~ This name just makes me cringe internally. Just sounds so..."sleazy".
Mckenna~ I don't know. Just sounds "gross" to me. I can't picture a grown woman or a baby (a beautiful one) with this name. It's fine around the age 5 or 6, but other than that it's terrible.

Boys:
Mason~ I knew a guy. So annoying and kind of a jerk. Could never use this on a boy. I like it on a girl though. I don't know why, but the negative connotations didn't travel over to the opposite gender. 😕
Riley~ Seems a little too girly for a boy. I like Rylie on a girl.
Alexander~ I don't know. Not a bad name, but I just oddly hate it for a reason unknown to me. 😕😕😕

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users