4 replies to this topic

#1 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

I posted my list earlier, but now I’ve added some more (a lot more) names to it, so I decided I would make a new one. Comments are greatly appreciated!

Girls:

I love:

Allegra
Bay
Baylor
Bela (pronounced BAY-lah)
Bella
Carmel
Charlotte
Gabriella
Gabrielle
Lark
Larkin
Marin
Merritt/Marit
Mika
Nika
Viola
Willa

I like:

Abby
Annabelle
Annabella
Arabella
Arcadia
Autumn
Carmela
Carmelina
Eden
Elody/Elodie
Faith
Grace
Isabella
Lila
Mariella
Melina
Melody
Misha
Oakley
Raine
Willow

Boys:

I love:

Arkady
Carson
Erik
Gabriel
Gabe
Luke
Mitchell
Sawyer

I like:

Abner
Lucas
Martin
Micah
Mischa
Nico
Oak
Parker
Sayer
Swain
Willson

Thank you so much for reading my list!!! God bless all baby namers!!!

#2 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

Allegra - I love the sound of this. I wish I could say i love the name, but the stupid allergy medication ruins it for me.
Bay - too close to baby or bray. I honestly can't imagine using this on a child, no offense, I just can't see it you know?
Baylor - I immediately think of the university.
Bela - wow, you obviously love the 'bay' sound. I like this a lot better than the other two, but with that spelling (and twilight) people will mispronounce it.
Bella - pre-twilight I would have loved this. post-twilight, not so much. I think it will get better in a few years though when the fad ends, so definitely keep it.
Carmel - Again, I think of several things entirely different: a city in a book series I read and one of the dogs I owned. So, basically, still can't see it on a kid.
Charlotte - hate the meaning, & not a fan of the sound, but it's on my top ten as a middle name. I really think its sound does complement certain first name.
Gabriella - I prefer Gabrielle since four syllables is a little much when you can just do Gabrielle.
Gabrielle - I like quite a bit. Not a fave, but maybe top 20? I actually prefer Gabriel for a boys middle name.
Lark - I read a book with a character named lark. It is an okay name for a girl
Larkin - My mother's maiden name. So obviously I'm biased, but I can only view this a last name.
Marin - Too close to Martin.
Merritt/Marit - Like a merit badge? Sorry, no.
Mika - Too close to Mike/Micah for me. Not too bad or anything. just not my style.
Nika - Like it okay.
Viola - I prefer Violet.
Willa - I also prefer Willow. Willa makes me think of William.

I like:

Abby - Good for a nn...
Annabelle - Really prefer Arabella. Annabelle is just so long, and with 2 double letters.
Annabella - Same ^
Arabella - LOVE this name. It isn't top ten but really, really close. Beautiful sound.
Arcadia - meh. okay.
Autumn - I honesty don't like thing/place/virtue names. Maybe not all of them, but most of them. Autumn/Summer/Winter/Wynter a not my thing.
Carmela - Quite a bit better than Carmel. You could call her Mellie or something.
Carmelina - I like this better than Carmel, but less than Carmela.
Eden - eh, place/thing name. :)
Elody/Elodie - okay, I might really like it as a middle name. some interesting possiblities there.
Faith - virtue :)
Grace - same^
Isabella - Very popular right now. I used to love it, then everybody else started loving it and I had to let it go. I would prefer Arabella.
Lila - Has bad connotations for me. Nice name, but I would never use is because of the reference.
Mariella - Nice. Not stunning, I like it less than Arabella and maybe a tidge more than Isabella.
Melina - Okay.
Melody - Thing name.
Misha - Honestly? My favorite girls name ever. (though I use Mischa bc I think people would be more likely to pronounce it correctly, but that may just be me. I know it means Michael, but so does Michelle and it is super-popular. Misha is beautiful, short and sweet. I could go on forever.
Oakley - for some reason this is so much more masquline than willow. I wouldn't use it.
Raine - thing name... I guess I didn't elaborate as to why I don't like them. On one hand they remind me of Apple (blech) and on the other hand they remind me of, well flower children naming their kids Star and Rainbow... I know that is rude but I seriously thing of that when I see Raine. And I do like
Willow - thing name, one of the few that I like. Somehow not as hippyish as Raine.

Boys:

I love:

Arkady - kind of harsh to say. I've said it a few times, and I can't imagine a child with that name.
Carson - okay. Not that great imao.
Erik - LOVE. Remind me of my favorite Guys name, and Erik is high on my list.
Gabriel - ALSO LOVE. Having the sound "gay" in his name could lead to teasing though, or they could say he has a girls name. I use it as a mn.
Gabe - love a nn for Gabriel. Not so much on its own though.
Luke - by baby bro's name so I'm biased. I like it, but he got teased a lot. Really too many bad things rhyme with Luke and its alternate form Lucas.
Mitchell - I have it on my middle names list. I prefer Michael (even though it is so very popular).
Sawyer - Love. It is also a top name.

I like:

Abner - brings to mind an old man, sorry
Lucas - I prefer Luke slightly. I guess I should have said that my bro's full name is Lucas and he goes by both depending on the situation.
Martin - eh. Just not into it.
Micah - I like it better for a boy, but I can't get the kid from Heroes out of my head.
Mischa - Ha. Oddly enough, the only 2 people I know (I don't know them but I know about them) is a guy named Misha and a girl named Mischa. Opposite of the way you see it. I love it for a boy too, I just see the name as more feminine sounding, even with the meaning. People tell me not to give a girl a name with a boys meaning, and yet Charlotte which literally means man, is very popular as a girls name! That is why I prefer Mischa/Misha on a girl. I think it sounds a tad more feminine. Can you imagine a guy named Charlotte? Sorry. Rant. I still think Mischa would be fine for a boy.
Nico - Okay. Oddly enough, a character from the same book as Lark had a similar name. I prefer Nicolas w/ nn Nico though.
Oak - thing name. I really don't see the appeal at all. It would be like naming him Rock or Stone or Tree. :P
Parker - I prefer this as a middle name. It has become so gender-neutral in my mind.
Sayer - Sawyer is way, way better. Way, way better.
Swain - I think of Swine.
Willson - Ha! another last name in my family (minus the extra L)! The name of my mom's stepdad. Now you've hit both sides of her family. What do you think of O'Neil (my dads moms name?) Sorry, I'm not being mean! I just think it is odd in a good way. Again, I can only see it as a last name. Or possibly the name of a vollyball on a deserted island.

Well, I may not have been very positive but I told you why! And commented a lot! Good luck, and you definitely have some real gems... :P

#3 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

Thanks so much! I don't really care if you're harsh, just as long as you're honest. Some of the names on the 'I like' list I only KIND OF like, so it really doesn't matter. In the future, if I have a girl, I think I'll name her Larkin, and a boy Gabriel (with Gabe as the nn). Thanks again!

God bless all baby namers!!!

#4 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

Thanks so much! I don't really care if you're harsh, just as long as you're honest. Some of the names on the 'I like' list I only KIND OF like, so it really doesn't matter. In the future, if I have a girl, I think I'll name her Larkin, and a boy Gabriel (with Gabe as the nn). Thanks again!

God bless all baby namers!!!

No problem, I'm really enjoy sharing my opinion and checking out other people's faves lists. Larkin is beautiful... Ijust can't see it, but I LOVE Gabriel and Gabe. It may be because of Supernatural, though. Oh well. You definitely have a nice mix of usual/unusual. Glad to help! :)

#5 Enchanted

Enchanted

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

I like

Allegra
Charlotte
Gabriella
Gabrielle