#1 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

I know that my opinion on names is affected by characters (and even real people) I know with those names.

For example:
I love the name Monica and I blame the TV show Touched by an Angel
I've started to like Elliot for a girl because of Scrubs
I used to hate the name Edward because i thought it was an old man name, but I don't mind it anymore because of Twilight
I never used to really like the name Regina, but ever since I've gotten into Regina Spektor's music, I don't mind the name as much anymore. In fact, I'm starting to like it.
I used to think Ingrid was a hideous name, but then I met a girl with this name last year and I don't mind it anymore. In fact, it suits her quite well.

I love the names Stephanie, Helen, Alissa, Jenna, Renee, Mariah, and Connie partially because I have met wonderful people with these names.

I don't like the name Cathy because of the character in East of Eden.
I'm not a fan of Ariel/Arielle because I think of the little mermaid everytime I hear it
Not a fan of Delaney because I know a very annoying girl with this name.

WDYT?

#2 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:00 AM

Well I believe that everything around us effects our naming styles, especially t.v shows, books, movies and other people!

Such as:
I absolutely would die w/o getting to watch One Tree Hill, so therefore I love the names Penelope (Brooke's first name), Peyton, Lucas and Sawyer (Lucas and Peyton's daughter) now I love this name on a little girl, rather than a little boy!

I LOVE Jane Austen books, therfore I love the names, Elinor and Marianne spelled these ways!

I love the name Marina, which most do not and I fell in love with this name while watching a soap opera with my mother - The Guiding Light - charter named Marina!

Make It or Break It - I fell in love with the name Payson!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Lena and Kostas (and might I say he is on hott guy)! If only I could find me a Greek guy, I would be ever so happy!

Gossip Girl - Serena (Blake Lively) love both the real and charater name, Blair (Leighton Meester) again love both names!

So, overall I do believe that all of the above mentioned, effect our naming styles!

#3 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:06 AM

If only I could find me a Greek guy, I would be ever so happy!

Haha. I wouldn't mind a hot greek guy myself :D

I have to wonder though, I hadn't watched Touched by an Angel (or even if Monica had not been such a lovable character) would I still love the name as much as I do? Its interesting to think about.....maybe I would've hated the name if I weren't biased and heard it without have a prior opinion in my mind first...

#4 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

Haha. I wouldn't mind a hot greek guy myself :D

I have to wonder though, I hadn't watched Touched by an Angel (or even if Monica had not been such a lovable character) would I still love the name as much as I do? Its interesting to think about.....maybe I would've hated the name if I weren't biased and heard it without have a prior opinion in my mind first...

LOL!
Indeed I think this might be true!
I suppose we really do not form an opinion until we have seen/heard the name!

#5 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:12 AM

I really think it is. I never thought twice about the name Alissa/Alyssa and then I met a wonderful girl with the name Alissa at summer camp one year and now I adore the name. So I guess she essentially formed my opinion of the name without me even realizing it

#6 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:18 AM

Indeed!
Maybe that is the way it is supposed to be!

#7 Rosie&Scott

Rosie&Scott

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:46 AM

I most definately agree. There have been many cases for me when my view on a name has changed (for better and for worse) due to encountering people with a given name. I love when a name I once disliked becomes one of my favourites.

It just goes to show that it really is the person that makes the name.

I think that Shakespeare hit the nail on the head:
'What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet'

Although I think that it's important to give children a name that will not cause them any grievances, it just goes to show that the name itself has less influence than we may have thought. I have baby names on the brain at the moment, so I've been pondering things like this. It's made me a lot less judgemental about names that I hear on the site. One example is David and Victoria Beckham, when they named Brooklyn everyone turned their noses up but now it's accepted and many people really like the name, it just takes a little time - as I suspect many names did when they first came into circulation. Of course, some names are quite ridiculous.

I have begun to open up to more unique names and very old under used names. I think that after a little time they'll grow on me.

Names are certainly associated by their namesakes, if that makes sense!
Adolf and Diana. Instant opinions, right?

Sorry for the ramble, I find this kind of thing really interesting!
R x

#8 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

You make so many good points, Rosie.

This community has certainly made me more open to all sorts of names---I know that I really like some names I wouldn't have ever considered because I've seen them used on this site...

And its a shame that names like Adolf have to be tainted just because of one person in history....its amazing the power names have; sometimes I think we don't really think about how important they really are...

#9 Rosie&Scott

Rosie&Scott

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

It certainly is interesting! I'm much more open minded now, course there are still names that I can't stand but maybe my opinions will be changed by someone one day!

To answer the original point:

Names that I now like: Ginevra (Harry Potter) Chandler (Friends) Trixie (The name of the book escapes me) Brady (Sex and the City) Blair (Gossip Girl - my niece has me addicted!)
These are the ones that come to mind, but I'm sure that there are many more!

Names I now dislike: Harry (Harry Potter) Chelsea (The Football club, this is an odd one) Miley (Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus)

#10 Heather Leigh

Heather Leigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Oh, I totally agree.

My husband originally wanted to name our baby Amber, and I immediately said "no" because the one Amber that I've known was a girl who was nice when she was young, but really started to go down a wrong path as she got older, then ended up getting raped. So, when I hear the name, that's what I think of.

I also can't stand the name Shannon because the only Shannon I knew when I was growing up was a severely handicapped girl and it makes me sad to think of her.

Jennifer, I also am a huge Jane Austen fan! I have a much more favorable impression of the names Jane and Emma as a result. I still don't like the name Elinor, though, despite the fact that she was a fabulous character. :D

Oh - and Camden. Everytime I see someone considering this name, I cringe, because having grown up in Philadelphia, we weren't far from Camden, New Jersey, and let me tell you . . . it's a rough place. I think it has one of the highest murder rates in the US. Of course, people in other parts of the country/world would not have that same prejudice towards the name, but I do.

#11 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

There have been many cases for me when my view on a name has changed (for better and for worse) due to encountering people with a given name.

Same here! Cadence was never a name I liked just because it reminds me of Candace, which I despise, but since I have been talking to Cadence, I have really started to love it!

I first heard Ever from a book and never would have considered it before, but now I love it! (And it's also everywhere!)

I got Brooklyn and Tallulah (sort of) from shows and fell in love with them.

I love love love names from Harry Potter: Cedric, Severus, Draco (though I hate the character), Hermoine, Luna, Lavender (though I didn't necessarily get this from HP), Ginevra, Fluer

Can't think of anything else right now!

Oh, River I got from River Phoenix who I adore!

#12 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

Jennifer, I also am a huge Jane Austen fan! I have a much more favorable impression of the names Jane and Emma as a result. I still don't like the name Elinor, though, despite the fact that she was a fabulous character. :D

Yay, I just love her characters and names! I also love Emma and Jane as a result of the wonderful Jane Austen! Elinor indeed was a fabulous character! I won't go postal on you, just b/c you don't like her name!

#13 HollyRae

HollyRae

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

Same here! Cadence was never a name I liked just because it reminds me of Candace, which I despise, but since I have been talking to Cadence, I have really started to love it!

I first heard Ever from a book and never would have considered it before, but now I love it! (And it's also everywhere!)

I got Brooklyn and Tallulah (sort of) from shows and fell in love with them.

I love love love names from Harry Potter: Cedric, Severus, Draco (though I hate the character), Hermoine, Luna, Lavender (though I didn't necessarily get this from HP), Ginevra, Fluer

Can't think of anything else right now!

Oh, River I got from River Phoenix who I adore!

River Phoenix :D

He's gorgeous. And not to mention Joaquin :P

Sorry....

#14 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Haha, Holly!

Don't be sorry, River Phoenix was gorgeous!

:'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users