#1 Sina86

Sina86

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi guys...

my little problem... We were pretty sure to name our baby girl Georgia

We live in Germany and I realize it's gonna be difficult for her with that name. People can not pronounce it AT ALL! I heard the oddest things coming out of peoples mouths when they tried to repeat the name.

Of course I don't want her to grow up and people can't even say her name.

So we are looking for something else but can't settle on anything because we just have a different taste in names.

My husband likes things like Jules (not a girls name in my opinion), Julie, Charlotte...
I really like Matilda, Violet, Grace, Casey etc...

so it's really hard. Whatever I say - he just hates it. the worst for him are my favourites - Matilda and McKenzie...
Any idea how we can find a name that we can both be happy with? (like taking one as the fn and one as the mn?) It should be names that are easy to say in germany as well. (that's why I have a problem with Charlotte. In english it sounds nice - but the german version (spoken Charlott-uh) is just awful.

#2 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

I like both of your names a lot. I might suggest Julia instead of Julie though, Julie is a cute nn, but I don't like it as a full name. You could always use Georgia as a mn too, since people won't be saying that a lot.

I love Matilda and Violet and Julia. Julia Violet. Matilda Charlotte. ?

#3 Sina86

Sina86

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

I like both of your names a lot. I might suggest Julia instead of Julie though, Julie is a cute nn, but I don't like it as a full name. You could always use Georgia as a mn too, since people won't be saying that a lot.

I love Matilda and Violet and Julia. Julia Violet. Matilda Charlotte. ?

hi... first of all - thanks for your reply.

Julia is a no-go for us because we have many friends with that name already. that would be too weird.

I just made a list of all the names I could imagine giving our child - i will mark the ones my husband 'likes' in red.
Violet
Georgia
Matilda
Corey
Grace
Mina
Emerson
Mckenzie
Casey
Cameron

Well.. I do like Casey but I'm a little on the edge about it. Here in Germany you won't hear such a name.. It's easy to pronounce, though.
And Mina is not really one of my favourites.

It's so hard since we had the name and all... and suddenly we notice people just can't pronounce it correctly. :D

#4 Capriana

Capriana

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Playing with my kids, reading, writing, crocheting

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

Have you found that people can get the correct pronunciation of Georgia if you give them a little coaching? It's a shame to not use the name you picked already. I agree with the pp that you could use it as a mn if you are that bothered by the mispronunciation.

Would spelling it Jorja make it easier for folks to pronounce?

As far as coming to agreement on names, you could each pick one of the names (with the other having veto power for names you really don't like). My dh and I agreed that I would pick fn, he would pick mn for girls and the reverse for boys. It's worked out well so far (3 girls and 1 boy).

Of the names you listed, I love Jorja/Georgia Matilde, Violet Georgia, and Mina Georgette/Mina Violet

GL!

#5 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

I would do one of those three that you highlighted red: Violet, Georgia, Mina, and Casey

Here are my opinions:
Violet- Lovely name. It will age nicely and is underused (here in the US).
Georgia- I'm not sure. Def. don't change the spelling. If so many people can't pronounce it than I wouldn't use it.
Mina- I knew someone named Meena. I think she liked her name but go 'Meena your mean' but don't know about Germany!
Casey- Is all boy too me!

Violet Mina, Violet Georgia, Violet Casey, Violet Grace

#6 KristaDeanne

KristaDeanne

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

I love the name Mina. Mina Grace maybe?

#7 Pistachio

Pistachio

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

I used to live where they spoke German. Georgia would be too difficult. Julia is pronounced yoo lee ah, which I don't like. Violet would probably be pronounced vee oh let. Out of all your names, I think Mena would be the easiest to get them to pronounce correctly. Other names that could work well in Germany:
Vanessa
Sofia/Sofie/Sophia/Sophie
Chiara
Maya/Maja
Caroline
Nina
Lina/Lena
Sylvie/Silvana/Silvianne
Annika

#8 Cadence & Nathan

Cadence & Nathan

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

I like Violet Mina...or Violet Georgia. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users