7 replies to this topic

#1 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

How do you determine what is a boy name on girl and what is unisex?

Do you like unisex/boy name on girl and why?
If so how old are you?

If you don't like it why?
How old are you?

Do K and Y's make a name feminine?
Yes or No? Explain.

Does enne or lynn to the end of name make it feminine
Yes or No? Explain

#2 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

No, I really don't.

If you don't like it why?
I think there is such a thing as gender identification through a name.
How old are you? 24

Yes or No? Explain.

Absolutely not. Altering the spelling slightly doesn't change the fact that it's a boy's name. Kieran is still the boy's name Ciarán and Jaymes is still James.

Yes or No? Explain

Well, here I'm going to say sometimes. Case and point the name Vivienne. It's a French name when spelled Vivien can be used on a boy, but when spelled Vivienne is used on a girl. It's the same way with Gabrielle & Gabriel, Michèle & Michel (the former is feminine & the later is masculine). Certain languages use elle, enne spellings to assign a masculine or feminine posession of the name/word. But taking a boy's name like Ryan and making it Ryanne/Ryenne to make it seem more feminine is a little odd, however not unconscionable. That's not to say I'm a fan of it.

#3 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

Do you like unisex/boy name on girl and why? I'm bias. My own name is unisex and I do know a male Alexis, but I would prefer if names just picked a gender and stuck to it!

If you don't like it why? My own name is unisex and I do know a male Alexis, but I would prefer if names just picked a gender and stuck to it!
How old are you? 15!

Yes or No? Explain.
Yeah...NOOO! Like Kaydence...it was FINE as Cadence! Ashtyn looks far worse then just spelling it Ashton. Jaymes too, its all boy so there is no way can you twist it to be feminine.

Yes or No? Explain
I agree with Cait on this one. It only works in some cases and those are far and few.

#4 Hello

Hello

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

No, i just do not like unisex names!

If you don't like it why? As you cant tell by the name if its a girl or a boy!

Do K and Y's make a name feminine? No the letter A does!

Yes or No? Explain No

#5 little cupcake

little cupcake

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Names! I also love ballet, music, art, reading, writing, procrastinating and shopping :)

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:56 AM

Do you like unisex/boy names on girls and why?

I like them SOMETIMES...but mostly just as nicknames. For example, a girl can be called Alex if it's short for Alexandra, or Sam short for Samantha. Most true unisex names I consider to be mostly feminine anyway. I know of several children called Eden, most of them are girls and I would not consider this name for a boy. As for boy names on girls, I wouldn't do this. There are far too many beautiful girl names out there!

How old are you? 20.

Do K and Y's make the name more feminine?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they are so OVERUSED and get annoying very quickly! I work as an early childhood teacher and trust me, EVERYONE has K's and Y's in their names and it's boring! Whatever happened to classic names? And spelling names correctly? Honestly half the time these 'alternative' spellings look like the parents just can't spell!

Does enne or lynn added to the end of the name make it feminine:

Technically yes, female versions of masculine names are often the same name with these suffexes added to the end. But I think the only instances in which this is acceptable is in traditional names, such as ones already listed: Vivian/Vivienne, for example. I don't think getting a male name and adding that on the end makes it pretty or feminine! Just confused :)

That's my 2 cents anyway hahaha

#6 lucy

lucy

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:I have 5 kids: Samara (Sammi), Kimberley (Kimmy), Lauren (Lolly), Bianca (Bee) and Jessamine (Jem)

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:01 AM

How do you determine what is a boy name on girl and what is unisex? I think it depends on the meaning of the name and the length of time it has been used on a girl. For example, I would say that Kimberly is unisex, whereas Madison(son of maud) is a boy name on a girl.

Do you like unisex/boy name on girl and why?I guess I partly do - Kimberley and Lauren were originally boys names, and I used them. Mainly I don't like it though.
If so how old are you? 24

If you don't like it why? I think you should be able to tell someone's gender from the name. If I arrange a meeting with Tinkerbelle Delayla I expect to be meeting a woman. If I arrange a meeting with Thomas I expect to meet a man.
How old are you? 24

Yes or No? Explain. Nope. I tend to prefer the simpler more original spellings as a whole. Adding Y to a name does not make it a girl's name, it's just a boy's name that you can't spell properly.

Yes or No? Explain It depends on the name I think. I hate the -lynn names anyway, but I would assume a -lynn was a girl. Adding -lynn or -enne to any name doesn't automatically make it a feminine version, sometimes it just looks like the parents played scrabble or something.

#7 SweetEvie

SweetEvie

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

If so how old are you?
Yes, as a matter of fact I do. There happen to be a lot of boy names I prefer on girls. I'm 19.

Yes or No? Explain.
I don't suppose the spelling of a name makes much of a difference. It's still the same name.

Yes or No? Explain
Same opinion as the K and Y's.

#8 Jessie

Jessie

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

How do you determine what is a boy name on girl and what is unisex?
Well, they have to somehow sound/look like it's appropriate for a girl... such as Riley as opposed to Reilly, Reese opposed to Rhys. Even though they are unisex names, they have feminine spellings. They do have to be a name that will age well. My cousin's named their daughters Frankie & Charlie as their given names. I think it is COMPLETELY inappropriate for a resume, and it's not fair to the girly girl to have a name like that.

If so how old are you?
I do very much. I think it's because my name is Jessica Lynn. It is soooo common and all girl, and I always felt more unique and different from everyone else. Especially the other Jessica's. They were all prissy and snoody. I was more of a tomboy. I just never felt like my name fit me. I am 24

Yes or No? Explain.
Well, again it depends. For example, I love the name Kaleb with a K and I don't think it's feminine at all because it is an all BOY name. However, I do think Kameron is more feminine as it is a unisex name.

Yes or No? Explain
Oh yes! I sure hope no one would name there son a name that ended in Lynn!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users