Betty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tabetha_*

Guest_Tabetha_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

My husband and I are expecting our third child - a girl. Right now I'm leaning toward naming her Betty after my grandmother, but I also like the Hebrew origin of the name and the ring it has with my middle daughter's name, Calla (Calla and Betty). I feel like these names are unique on their own but that they don't compete with each other, though I guess Calla sounds more "pretty" and Betty sounds more "cute."

The main thing is that I need a middle name for Betty. Right now I came across Ruth, which is a woman endeared to me from the Bible. I don't know any Ruth's personally so I don't have a bad taste for the name and I like the sound. I know that the name Betty Ruth with sound like Baby Ruth, but I don't mind that too much.

The main thing I was looking for in a middle name was that if she doesn't like such an old-fashioned name and wants to go with her middle name, that it not be too obscure to want to use it. Our other kids have middle names that start with Ls and I've always liked names that have Ls in them, but I can't think of anything that sounds good with Betty but isn't as old-fashioned. I guess Ruth would be old fashioned too, but I still find it charming.

Suggestions?

#2 Bunko0

Bunko0

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Betty is cute. I think it's ready to make a comeback. I'll think of some combos that make Betty sound more "pretty."

Betty Larissa
Betty Lucinda
Betty Lorelei
Betty Lavinia
Betty Lenore/Lenora
Betty Linnéa
Betty Abigail

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Betty Ruth sounds a bit old fashioned to me. Maybe Elizabeth Ruth? and using Betty as a nicname would be my suggestion :)

Good luck.

#4 Truffle_Berry

Truffle_Berry

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Betty still feels pretty outdated to me. Especially next to Calla. Have you considered Bethany? Bethany Ruth is pretty and Betty could work as a nickname.

Some suggestions...
Bethany
Beatrice
Bianca
Eliza
Elise
Elle
Ella

Leona
Lily
Lillian
Lucy
Lola
Leila
Laura
Lorelei
Lena
Linnea
Lauren

Good luck!

#5 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Elizabeth is a beautiful option using the nickname Betty. I'm not a huge fan of the name, but it could be cute. Elizabeth would also give her a few options if she grew up not liking Betty.
My grandma is Betty Lou, which I think would be too old fashioned.

#6 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Love the Bethany Ruth idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users