#1 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I'm writing a Rizzoli and Isles FanFic (the same one I posted about previously). I plan to have Maura and Jane adopt a baby girl from Africa in the epilogue of my story. I always have such a hard time picking names for my characters to name their babies, because I'm so focused on it meaning something, rather than just having them pick something they like - I just have to have my character justify their choice, so I'm always over thinking it

The concept of hope is a very prevalent in my story, and there's even a chapter that emphasizes this, especially with Maura's character, but I can't help but to feel like slapping the name Hope on her is the most cliche idea. While I like the name Nadine, which means hope, I don't want to use that because I've already used it for another character.

I feel like Maura would be more inclined to pick names that are historical, sophisticated, and intelligent, while Jane would like something much plainer or sportier, perhaps even unisex, so I plan to have them debate over the name a little. I thought Hope could be a nice compromise -- its significant, but simple. But again, quite cliche.

If I named her Hope, she'd be Hope Angela, the middle name after her grandmother.

So what are your thoughts? Is Hope just too cliche? What are some other names that would show significance, perhaps, that wouldn't be cliche or too over-thought? How do you go about having your characters name their babies?

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hm. I've never really put much thought into it. I only have a few stories where children arrive later (not already in the picture). So normally I they are already named when the story begins.

However, I've never written fan fiction before, so I understand you wanting to stay true to the characters.

Its difficult. I think Hope is a nice name, I think in the middle name spot it is a tad overdone. But I think Hope fits very well with both character's preferences and would make a nice compromise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users