#1 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

I tend to be more of a traditionalist (boring if you like) when it comes to boys names than girls. I have put a lot more thought into my girls names because it is easier when you have so much leeway, but I've sort of neglected the boys names. I'm a little bit scared of naming a boy something rare or unusual. What I'm trying to say is they could all be very common, somewhat blandish names that are a bit rough around the edges. Oh well, I just want some feedback to see what directions I should take. In no particular order:

Zachary Dylan - I know how popular Zachary is, but I'm indulging myself because the nickname Zac/Zach/Zack etc are fantastic and I love them dearly. I also know that some people are put off by the 'Dill' sound in Dylan, but I think it really complements Zachary's hard sound with a much more mellow sound.

Alec Joseph - Alec isn't that common, and with all the Alexis/Alexa/Lexi girls running around I would prefer to avoid Alex or Alexander. I like Alec quite a lot, and it is one of the more unusual ones.

William Spencer - I'm liking Liam as a nn, and William is a handsome name. I do fear fending off Willy as a nn though. Will is great, Liam is awesome, Willy is not. One of the reasons I'm iffy on it. I may just go with Liam instead, but it looks a little incomplete that way.

Donovan Cole - I actually like the nn Don for a guy (maybe not on a little boy but on a grown man). Not sure how I feel about Donnie... I can't remember where I heard it from, but it seems sort of iffy.

Mason Andrew - Mason has been on my list forever, ever since I saw Dead Like Me. Why do networks cancel all of the smart, funny shows? I like Andrew with it because Mason has such a hard sound/meaning and Andrew is much more flow-y.

Shawn Riley - I'm not so set on this one. I like Shawn as a first name, but Idk if Riley goes well. Riley is just ok. I think I would prefer Shawn with a slightly more solid mn than Riley (though one that doesn't end in 'n'). Any suggestions?

Derek Michael- I really like Derek (though I know there are plenty of people who won't like it), and I love Michael even though it is soooo common. I've had a lot of trouble find a mn for Derek, suggestions are particularly needed for this one. :)

Oliver Ryan - Oliver is definitely a fav of mine. I love it and its nickname. Ryan is kinda meh, but I think it brings some strength and solidity to Oliver.

Matthew Ian - Something about this just strikes me as nice, can't really put my finger on it. Matt is a nice nn that I love, I know that much.

I tried to make at least one name in each pair semi-different, pretty much failed I think. As far as suggestions go, I definitely have to say that I hate Kreaytivve spellings and virtue/place/object names on boys. Cole is an object I guess, but it still seems traditional to me. Traditional with a splash of popularity is really what I like for boys, though it is just about the opposite of my girls names.

Comments, suggestions, ratings, and all opinions welcome! If you want to hate them go right on ahead and hate them, just make sure to tell me why! Everybody is allowed to have their own opinions and I dish it out just as often as I take it. :)

If you wouldn't mind, I'm especially interested in how they flow/work together. I think that is just as important as actually loving the middle name. I'm terrible at that sort of thing so any help would be truly appreciated!

#2 ReadeAlexandra

ReadeAlexandra

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

I like Zachary Dylan and Donovan Cole best but they are all great

#3 Enchanted

Enchanted

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:03 AM

Zachary Dylan 7/10
Alec Joseph - 2/10
William Spencer - 6/10 *I prefer Liam Spencer*
Donovan Cole - 4/10
Mason Andrew - 8/10
Shawn Riley - 6 1/2/ 10

Shawn Alexander
Shawn Hunter
Shawn Matthew
Shawn Nathaniel
Shawn Oliver
Shawn Xavier
Shawn Leo
Shawn Jamie

Derek Michael- 3/10
Oliver Ryan - 8/10
Matthew Ian - 5/10

#4 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

I like Alec Joseph, Mason Andrew, Shawn (Eric/Erik, Michael, Mitchell, Gabriel, etc.), and Matthew Ian. I don't think they're very boring, just classic. Go with your gut; you've got some really good names there!!!

God bless all baby namers!!!

#5 Jessie

Jessie

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

I tend to be more of a traditionalist (boring if you like) when it comes to boys names than girls. I have put a lot more thought into my girls names because it is easier when you have so much leeway, but I've sort of neglected the boys names. I'm a little bit scared of naming a boy something rare or unusual. What I'm trying to say is they could all be very common, somewhat blandish names that are a bit rough around the edges. Oh well, I just want some feedback to see what directions I should take. In no particular order:

Zachary Dylan - I know how popular Zachary is, but I'm indulging myself because the nickname Zac/Zach/Zack etc are fantastic and I love them dearly. I also know that some people are put off by the 'Dill' sound in Dylan, but I think it really complements Zachary's hard sound with a much more mellow sound.

Alec Joseph - Alec isn't that common, and with all the Alexis/Alexa/Lexi girls running around I would prefer to avoid Alex or Alexander. I like Alec quite a lot, and it is one of the more unusual ones.

William Spencer - I'm liking Liam as a nn, and William is a handsome name. I do fear fending off Willy as a nn though. Will is great, Liam is awesome, Willy is not. One of the reasons I'm iffy on it. I may just go with Liam instead, but it looks a little incomplete that way.

Donovan Cole - I actually like the nn Don for a guy (maybe not on a little boy but on a grown man). Not sure how I feel about Donnie... I can't remember where I heard it from, but it seems sort of iffy.

Mason Andrew - Mason has been on my list forever, ever since I saw Dead Like Me. Why do networks cancel all of the smart, funny shows? I like Andrew with it because Mason has such a hard sound/meaning and Andrew is much more flow-y.

Shawn Riley - I'm not so set on this one. I like Shawn as a first name, but Idk if Riley goes well. Riley is just ok. I think I would prefer Shawn with a slightly more solid mn than Riley (though one that doesn't end in 'n'). Any suggestions?

Derek Michael- I really like Derek (though I know there are plenty of people who won't like it), and I love Michael even though it is soooo common. I've had a lot of trouble find a mn for Derek, suggestions are particularly needed for this one. :)

Oliver Ryan - Oliver is definitely a fav of mine. I love it and its nickname. Ryan is kinda meh, but I think it brings some strength and solidity to Oliver.

Matthew Ian - Something about this just strikes me as nice, can't really put my finger on it. Matt is a nice nn that I love, I know that much.

I tried to make at least one name in each pair semi-different, pretty much failed I think. As far as suggestions go, I definitely have to say that I hate Kreaytivve spellings and virtue/place/object names on boys. Cole is an object I guess, but it still seems traditional to me. Traditional with a splash of popularity is really what I like for boys, though it is just about the opposite of my girls names.

Comments, suggestions, ratings, and all opinions welcome! If you want to hate them go right on ahead and hate them, just make sure to tell me why! Everybody is allowed to have their own opinions and I dish it out just as often as I take it. :P

If you wouldn't mind, I'm especially interested in how they flow/work together. I think that is just as important as actually loving the middle name. I'm terrible at that sort of thing so any help would be truly appreciated!

I think you have great taste in names!!! :) I love most of them! I don't think your names are boring at all! I think boys are more simple and no frills, so these types of names are perfect!

My favorites in order

1. Mason Andrew
2. Derek Michael
3. Matthew Ian
4. Oliver Ryan
5. Zachary Dylan
6. Donovan Cole
7. Shawn Riley (I like Shane better)
8. Alec Joseph
9. William Spencer (I've never liked William... mostly because it's so common with people my grandfather's age and I don't like Bill)

#6 -SassyCassie-

-SassyCassie-

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

i personally love

Matthew Ian
Derek Michael

out of all the names you put down my fave are these two:P

#7 -Tara

-Tara

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

Zachary Dylan
William Spencer
Mason Andrew

#8 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,670 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

Great list of combos! You have great taste in boys names!

Zachary Dylan - Cute. Zachary has a lot of nicknaming potential, and your right about Dylan mellowing out the harsher sound of Zachary. This is a great combo

Alec Joseph - Love this combo. Alec is one of my favorite names, and Joseph goes with it nicely.

William Spencer - I LOVE William, it is one of my all-time favorite boy names, and Liam is my favorite NN for it. As to your worries about people calling him Willy, I don't think you need to be very concerned. If you call him Liam and insist that other people call him that, they will.

Donovan Cole - I'm not crazy about this combo. I prefer Dominic to Donavan if you want a "Don" name. I've never been to crazy about Cole, I don't know why.

Mason Andrew - Nice sounding combo. I wouldn't use Mason myself, but I can see it's appeal, and Andrew goes well with it.

Shawn Riley - I agree that you need a more solid MN than Riley to go with Shawn. I like Shawn Michael, Shawn Thomas, or Shawn Patrick.

Derek Michael- This is an ok combo. I like Michael. I'd never use Derek, but that has more to do with a negative association I have with the name than with the sound of the name itself. Overall, this is a decent combo.

Oliver Ryan - It's okay. Like Ryan, not too crazy about Oliver.

Matthew Ian - LOVE this combo. Matthew and Ian are two of my favorite names, and they go well together.

My favorites in order:
Matthew Ian
William Spencer
Alec Joseph
Zachary Dylan
Mason Andrew
Shawn Riley
Oliver Ryan
Donovan Cole
Derek Michael

#9 Kristi18

Kristi18

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Name Games Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,906 posts
  • Interests:Spending life with my husband.
    Cuddling with my kids.
    Hanging with my family.
    Enjoying God's creation.
    Laughing with friends.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

I don't think these names are boring at all. They are strong, solid, masculine names.

1. Alec Joseph - LOVE this combo. Cool initials too, "AJ".

2. Derek Michael - Really like this combo as well. Other mn's I think flow well are below.

3. Zachary Dylan

4. Matthew Ian - Matthew is one of my all time fav names.

5. Oliver Ryan

6. Donovan Cole - Van is also a cool nn from Donovan

7. Mason Andrew

8. Shawn Riley - prefer the spelling "Sean". Other mn's I think flow well are below.

9. William Spencer

Derek Andrew
Derek James
Derek Joseph
Derek Matthew
Derek Mason
Derek Nathan
Derek Nathaniel
Derek Thomas

Sean Alexander
Sean Christopher
Sean Edward
Sean Everett
Sean Gabriel
Sean Gregory
Sean Henry
Sean Michael
Sean Robert
Sean Thomas
Sean Vincent
Sean William
Sean Zachary

GOOD LUCK!

#10 InstantDreams

InstantDreams

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Zachary Dylan - Cool combo. Zachary / Zac is such a down-to-earth, happy name. I love Dylan for Dylan Thomas and Bob Dylan; I do think it makes a terrific middle name.

Alec Joseph - Very nice! I would, however, prefer to see the classic, formal Alexander on the birth certificate and call him by the nickname Alec.

William Spencer - I prefer William as it seems more formal to be, and I think that if you used Liam as a nickname most people would do the same. I like this a lot too.

Donovan Cole - Meh. Like you said, I really dislike the idea of Donnie. Plus Cole is such a dull surname and it makes Donovan look boring. I'd rather see Dominic Cole (you'd avoid the nickname Don).

Mason Andrew - I dislike Mason, which I find trendy and too occupational (free masons, anyone?). Andrew is always good to see. Andrew Mason would be awesome.

Shawn Riley - I prefer the more elegant spelling of Sean and I like Riley. However, there's a musician called Sean Riley - you might want to google it first.

Derek Michael- Fine. Not bad, not spectacular, but a nice, solid combo.

Oliver Ryan - I really like this! Oliver is so unexpected and cool.

Matthew Ian - Same as the Derek combo. Strong, classic name you can't go wrong with.

My vote goes to Oliver, followed by William, Zachary, and Alexander 'Alec'. Hope I helped!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users