• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AA21

AA21

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:48 AM

I like the name .. But can't decide on spelling .. Will call bubs .. Loo-ee as nickname but I think it's nice that he has the option of being 'Lewis' when he gets older.. Louis is really pronounced loo-ee .. So can I pronounce it Lewis ? Confused I like both ..

#2 .:alexandra:.

.:alexandra:.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:linguistics, psychology, books, conspiracy theories (within reason), equality, space/astrology, names

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

Some people do pronounce it like Lewis, but if you spell it Louis, he'll get called something different every time.

#3 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

I automatically pronounce Louis as Louie, so I'd spell it Luis or Lewis if that's the pronunciation you like, but that's just my preference.

#4 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:48 PM

I agree with Laugh-Dream-Love about the spellings and pronunciations I automatically assume for each. So, if you want to name him Lewis/Luis and call him Louie as a nn, I would choose one of the "Lewis" spellings.

#5 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

I say Luis and Lewis differently-- I say Lewis as LOO-ihs (more like LOO-uhs), but Luis as Loo-EES.

Honestly if you wanted to nickname him Louie anyways, I'd just spell it Louis. I think a lot of Americans don't realize that it is traditionally said Louie so they'd probably say "Lewis." And if someone did know it as Louie, they'd just be calling him his nickname, so no loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users