#1 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

There are certain names on my list (e.g. Henry, Jane, etc.) that I know will stay for the long run because I love them so much. But because I'm such a huge name nerd, I'm always crushing on new names! It just seems like I find a new name that I fall in love with, so I come up with a combo for it and add it to my list, and then all of a sudden.... blah. It loses its touch and I end up kicking it off my list and starting again.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there feels bored with their list from time to time like I do. Or do you have the opposite problem, in which you love too many names and can't choose between them all? Do you have any advice for how I can cure my name flightiness?

#2 MellyMade

MellyMade

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Names (of course), animals, books, music, quirky things from thrift stores, soft serve/frozen yogurt.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

I understand what you mean. I feel like I'll never be able to decide! However, I'm sure when the day comes to name my future children, whatever my partner and I choose will be the "right" name for them.

Evolving tastes (and name crushes) are a part of life! There are always new things to discover, and try out. If you find yourself going back to your staid favorites, that's perfectly fine. It's like loving spaghetti -- even if your favorite is plain sauce with meatballs, there's no reason you can't try different toppings and herbs in your sauces.

Sometimes it's fun to pair an old favorite with a shiny new one, like polishing up Jane with...Chrysanthemum. ;)

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

I've been going through my list and getting rid of names. Some I just look at and think "how did I ever like such a name?"
But some just stay.

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

I definitely have gone through moments where there were too many names I loved on my name list.. right now, I'm in the exact same spot as you. There are certain names that I know will end up being the names of future kids: they consistently come onto my list, they fit the standards I want for a name of my child, Mike loves them as well, and they just have that feeling that you can picture them on your future child. Yet, sometimes they really do feel boring. Blah, blah, blahh :(

I'm feeling so mostly towards my girls names list, really. I think its because I've basically loved the same boys names since forever. They don't really go off and on my lists much, nor do I ever necessarily not like them. I can REALLY picture them on a future child, plus theres a lot of them. But for girls... I literally have narrowed it down to seven singular names as of this morning. Later on I'm going to ponder over the suggestions I got and then hit the name book, but I'm so stuck! :o

Maybe you should start a GP list? I have a few names on it - cute, fun, spunky, but unlikely to ever use (ie Seraphina).

I think its hard to stay put on names, especially when you aren't naming a child NOW. Once you fall for a name, and once you use it, it will have the association of the child on it and I think that helps keep the name feeling good<3 haha. But for now, idk how to fix it. Normally I just erase the ones that really bore me and try to find ones that don't. I sometimes search similar styles to the ones I previously liked, cause sometimes they feel more fresh. Sometimes I even venture out to more "unique" names, like Willow or Piper. They aren't out there, but they definitely are "newer" than Mary or Alice. :)

Hope this helps, girl! :)

#5 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Melissa: I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. And I love your analogy about spaghetti! :lol: I'm actually liking Jane Chrysanthemum right now... I used to love the name Chrysanthemum when I was little because I read a book with that title. :P

Ashleigh: That's how I feel with just about every name I consider adding to my list!

Remy: I can totally relate to everything you've said... and I just recently started a GP list. I have a feeling it's going to get really loooong, considering how many names I like but don't love / can't use. -_- Thanks for the advice!

#6 kassieb11

kassieb11

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Art, History, Kite-Boarding, Kites, Xbox, Video Games, Puzzles, Movies, Reading, Mythology, Animating, Anime, Animals, Names, Cooking.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

I have a set of names on my list that I love and when I find a new name love I will go though my list figure out what I wouldnt mind loseing and replace a name on the list with the new one and put the old name at the bottom of the page, if I regret the decision within the next couple days I just put the name back. :)

I don't know if that helps but I love new names all the time and its very hard so this way I control my list so it doesnt get out of control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users